Sign in to follow this  
Smarty90

Which speaker should I build?

Hard question I know.

Ive had the same bookshelf speakers for the last 25 years and they are starting to look a bit fatigued and the cones are starting to come away from the foams.  I know I could redo them, but heck I like making stuff! so why not upgrade!! (they are MS30 Maudant Shorts nothing too fancy but all I could afford all those years ago)

So I started looking around at speakers to build (as I said I like to make things and am pretty handy in the workshop, so why not make a project out of it!)  So came across a few speakers and liked the look of them, liked the Swann DIY 3.1A speaker, but they work out a bit expensive when you factor in postage!  Continued looking around and came across the DWQDT's which look awesome but also a bit pricey once you buy all of the parts.

So I am still looking for something that wont break the bank and will be interesting to build.  Would like to end up with a decent sounding dynamic speaker.

Yes again a hard question, but does anyone have any recommendations on something that will fit the bill?  I think long term I will end up wanting to build a set of the DWQDT's, but for now will need something a bit more economical to build or at least something to listen too in the meantime!

Look forward to hearing what people think!

Depends on budget, I bought a Lenehan LK1 kit, still to put them together though.

Budget is around th $1000 mark for now, or at least thats what I would like to spend.  

Do Lenehan still do kits?  If so how much do they run for?

Yes some requirements would be helpful, for example:

• Budget:
  • Enclosure size (stand/bookshelf/floorstand etc):
  • Target bass extension (in hz):
  • Target efficiency @1watt (in db):
  • Intended use (%HT vs %Music):
  • Will be used with subs? (yes/no):
  • Anything else you can think of?:

:thumbsup:

Looking to do the same soon too, so I’ve been thoroughly sifting through what’s available online...

Notably, the Philharmonic BMR standmounts have just been made available as DIY kits on Meniscus audio if that takes your fancy

you can buy a kit from the uk to build an ATC 100,

there are even Wilson watt 5 clones too !

• Budget: approx $1000 for speakers and crossovers, I can build the boxes so can ignore this cost to some extent.
  • Enclosure size (stand/bookshelf/floorstand etc): I have stands already and dont mind floorstanders if they sound great.
  • Target bass extension (in hz): not stressed about deep base, was planning on building a sub or three for this.  Have been looking at your sub adventures and can pick up a 12" alpine for $100!! so this will likely happen in parrallel
  • Target efficiency @1watt (in db): not sure
  • Intended use (%HT vs %Music): Mainly Music, currently using a soundbar for tv but dont watch it much.
  • Will be used with subs? (yes/no): yes
  • Anything else you can think of?: did I mention I like making stuff?

The Seas A26 kit would be an good and easy build.It has a very simple crossover so that bit is easy and cheap.It would work well with a wide range of amplifiers too.It comes with an expensive tweeter but  you can swap that out for a much cheaper Seas or Morel horn loaded tweeter [as used in the Devore Orangutan which also uses a modified version of the woofer].

6 hours ago, Decky said:

nice choice Decky but going to go way over budget with shipping and the exchange rate!  I do like the design of the box though, nice and easy to make and looks modern.

6 hours ago, Decky said:

Nice pick but woofers alone will eat the entire budget.

My pick: https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy/classix2-5

I love the simplicity, bass and off axis performance of a 2.5way. My Klipsch KG's are awesome.

With this design simply build the enclosure as tall as you need to have your ears at tweeter level and tweak the port in WinISD or HornResp to suit. You just need to keep the baffle width and drivers centre to centre spacing as designed - changing these will necessitate changes to the crossover.

Edited by Maz4bz

What will you be driving the speaker with?

Sometimes people have no choice but to "use the amp that they have" ..... but it's really much better to choose the speaker first.

8 minutes ago, Aperalim said:

What will you be driving the speaker with?

Yes I will be using my yamaha amp for now.  Then I wouldnt mind building one to suit the speakers if I can do it at a reasonable cost.