Sign in to follow this  
astormsau

Rega RP8 - whats next?

Hi everyone

I have been running a Rega RP8 for about five years now. I use it in its skeletal form with an Ortofon 2M Black (this is my second 2M black) and a Blue Horizon turntable mat. I recently purchased a Rega NEO PSU for it which has been great for getting speed to be spot on. It runs through a Graham Slee Accession.

I listen to a broad variety of music on record and a lot of my music is rock/pop from the 60's through to the 80s'. Most of my albums are very clean (I use a Project RCM with Melody Mate fluid to clean everything). I use my digital front end for listening to most new stuff mastered in the digital domain.

I have recently been infected with a case of upgrade-it is to move up the chain from the RP8 especially after seeing some of the more esoteric decks at the Hifi show over the weekend.

Several decks which have interested me are the Michell Gyrodec SE for its great looks, isolation and seemingly robust build. The Mofi Ultradeck with the 10" arm and also the Linn LP12. I have experience with suspended tables as I also own and have repaired and serviced a few B&O tables and still own a Beogram 4002. (although it is consigned to its box right now because it just doesn't perform as well as an RP8) 

I was wanting to get some opinions on a few things, is the Michell or a basic LP12 an upgrade from an RP8 in terms of sonic performance?

Some people rave about the RP8 and claim it out performs much higher $$ decks. I checked out the Mofi the other day at a dealer and think it may be more of a sideways step in performance. I kind of like the idea of the Michell or the Linn as they give a bit of scope for tinkering... something I've never felt inclined to do with the RP8 aside from swapping out the TTPSU but do enjoy doing nevertheless with other gear.

Should there be other tables I consider in my search which people could recommend?

All help and thoughts welcome!

Drew

LP12. Bit of scope for tinkering! I have a significantly tinkered LP12 and love it, but unless you are keen to sink some money into it, the majik level LP12 may not be much (or any) of an improvement. The arm is, I believe, worse than what is on your current deck, and the motor speed controller is pretty basic with only 33rpm. So, if you have any tendency to upgraditis, you will be lining up for the upgrades in short order. That said, if that is what you want, you can still get a pretty fine turntable at the end of it. 
Others I would check out are Avid and Kuzma in their relatively more reasonably priced models. Then there are clearaudio who make a huge variety of tables from cheap to the stratosphere. Or you could go up the Rega range.

Another thing you could do is get into MC carts, though you would need a step up transformer or head amp to use your phono amp. Though if you don’t have this bug already, maybe don’t go there!

Or just buy the equivalent value in the best records in the best pressings, and enjoy better sound that way.

happy hunting

Justin

Weeell, Drew - how far does your desire to 'tinker' go?  :winky:

My avatar shows my 'SkeletaLinn' - which I developed when I heard Duc's 12" Univector arm on an SME 20 (at @cheekyboy's place) ... and fell in love with it.  It wasn't possible to mount a 12" arm on my LP12 (without butchering my new custom-made plinth) ... so I set to work to design:

• a TT which used the essential Linn parts (bearing, springs and belt drive), and
  • which could take a 12" arm.  :)

The result has been more successful than I had imagined, when I started the process!  :thumb:  I could give you the plans, if you're interested in creating SkeletaLinn #3.  The only issue you have is ... you need to find someone who has a lathe, to be able to machine certain components out of brass rod.  If it interests you, you can set it up to have 2 arms - like the 2 existing SkeletaLinns.  And  2 motors, like have, by using Steve Tuckett's 'Number9' motor speed controller.

And re. your infection with 'upgradeitis' ... one thing you might like to consider is a phono stage upgrade.  :)  I see you're in Melbourne, so I could bring over my MM Muse for you to audition.

By all means come over for a listen to my SkeletaLinn - however, you'll have to wait a couple of weeks, till I get my Maggie bass panels back from re-wiring.  (They had started buzzing at certain frequencies because the wires had started to lift off the mylar - crap, 30-yr old glue!  :( )

Regards,

Andy

2 hours ago, astormsau said:

Some people rave about the RP8 and claim it out performs much higher $$ decks. I checked out the Mofi the other day at a dealer and think it may be more of a sideways step in performance. I kind of like the idea of the Michell or the Linn as they give a bit of scope for tinkering... something I've never felt inclined to do with the RP8 aside from swapping out the TTPSU but do enjoy doing nevertheless with other gear.

a p9 or p10 would be obvious ways to go up the tree :)

just depends what chasing specifically.. ie side ways just some change for change sake, something instead of rega etc etc.

with rega's its usually the better design arm, plinth motor control that brings gains between the decks and usually easiest way of improving on deck have is to move up the ranks.

ive reached the p9 and been quite happy there for last 10 years or so ? content here and not looking for anything else ..but we are all different ...

Certainly for me I’m looking for something outside the Rega stable this time.
@Andyr I think I’m more looking for an off the shelf table and then build on that rather than building my own. I think I’ve also heard that arm on evilc’s Linn [emoji16]

1 minute ago, astormsau said:

Certainly for me I’m looking for something outside the Rega stable this time.
@Andyr I think I’m more looking for an off the shelf table and then build on that rather than building my own. I think I’ve also heard that arm on evilc’s Linn emoji16.png

well i chose my p9 after demoing both the mitchell gyro and linn alongside and preferred it over the others as lovely a decks they are .... but again each have their fans... head out do some demoing... try find something that hits the spot for you :) there are certainly retailers out there with quite a collection to choose from :) 

Big problem here mate. Your reference is very high quality especially for the type of music you listen to.

A table that was better then the RP8 would have to have a lower noise floor for a start. Then you look at speed stability and compatible cartridge etc.

You would need to spend big bucks to get an overall better sound. Maybe nick over to Andy's place to get a feel of what hes on about. But at the end of the day, that turntable is his baby only. Seriously, I don't know how much you want to spend but maybe the new VPI direct drive would do the deed. I use to sell Linn, Rega and Michell over the years and I thought the Rega RP8 was better then the Michell ORB.

@astormsau I really like the Mofi ultradeck, heard one and very impressive looks and sound wise.

I updated to a LP12 a few years ago and can highly recommend them.

I updated the Ittok arm by buying a Wand unipivot tonearm with a custom Wand armboard available for Linns.

That really elevated things performance wise!

Simon Brown from Design Build Listen has a new Wand turntable and that with a Wand tonearm would be very good,  unsure if better than a Linn with Wand but it is an exceptional design and looks very nice too!

A few to consider,  happy to give more info if needed. 😉

High end second hand Japanese direct drives are a very good option

High end second hand idler drives are also a great option

both are far better value than new and many of the best will appreciate in value 

after owing and up grading many TTs I tried a Yamy GT2000 and now have no desire to upgrade, to my ears it completely out classed a will set up and optioned Linn LP12

24 minutes ago, hugo_wilco said:

Kuzma Ref2 to quote @Ross B craps on my old LP12 from a great height. 😉

How dare he tell you that.

He was also on this forum for a day🙄

I don't get all the hate for Linns.

Like Rega you have a very respectable deck stock standard and heaps of after market parts to improve performance. 

I used to have a Yamaha deck with virtually the same arm as the GT2000 and wouldn't put it in the same class as a LP12.

However I have made massive improvements with a wall shelf,  so minimized vibration and fitted Cirkus upgrade and external PSU.

That is part of the joy with Linns, the level you can achieve is very high.

I think their arms can be improved on, unipivot arms are often an excellent match with LP12s.

And how much is a Kuzma Ref 2 worth?

Around 20k?

I’ve gone from a modded P25 to a Soulines Kubrick with a Jelco 950 arm.  The improvement is substantial. 

2 hours ago, Wimbo said:

Maybe nick over to Andy's place to get a feel of what he's on about.

:thumb:

Andy

56 minutes ago, evil c said:

I don't get all the hate for Linns.

Like Rega you have a very respectable deck stock standard and heaps of after market parts to improve performance. 

I used to have a Yamaha deck with virtually the same arm as the GT2000 and wouldn't put it in the same class as a LP12.

However I have made massive improvements with a wall shelf,  so minimized vibration and fitted Cirkus upgrade and external PSU.

That is part of the joy with Linns, the level you can achieve is very high.

I think their arms can be improved on, unipivot arms are often an excellent match with LP12s.

And how much is a Kuzma Ref 2 worth?

Around 20k?

Nothing wrong with LP12's Evil. Great turntables. The Mother of good turntables and I've owned two Aristons as well. Just that I think the RP8 is up there with them☺️

1 minute ago, Wimbo said:

Just that I think the RP8 is up there with them  ☺️

C'mon, W ... has "old timer's disease" set in?  :lol:

Andy