Rega RP8 - whats next?

I'm not sure I'd agree, Andy. The DV is fairly neutral, it is just that the Benz cartridges have an especially lush midrange. While the Dynavector may seem leaner in the mids in a direct comparison with the Benz, it is not a lean sounding cartridge in any respect, and works well with solid state phono stages.

I have used mine with both, and it sounds equally good with either. There is a reason the Dynavector cartridges are popular with users of Linn/Naim solid state amps, and of course Dynavector's own phono stage and amplifiers are solid state. So while the Dynavector can certainly sound very good with tubes, I don't agree tubes are the "ideal" partner for it.

I'm not sure I'd agree, Andy. The DV is fairly neutral, it is just that the Benz cartridges have an especially lush midrange. While the Dynavector may seem leaner in the mids in a direct comparison with the Benz, it is not a lean sounding cartridge in any respect, and works well with solid state phono stages.

I have used mine with both, and it sounds equally good with either. There is a reason the Dynavector cartridges are popular with users of Linn/Naim solid state amps, and of course Dynavector's own phono stage and amplifiers are solid state. So while the Dynavector can certainly sound very good with tubes, I don't agree tubes are the "ideal" partner for it.

I love the black but I find sometimes it can sound a little cold. It delivers great bass in my setup and very articulate top end but I find it lacks a little mid range warmth and perhaps the top end can be slightly sizzling at times.

Perhaps the Benz would be more my sound preference?

Do the higher output MC’s in these models lose anything to their lower output counterparts in terms of sonics or would you expect a similar sonic signature.?

Andy I’m not too familiar with SUT’s vs head amps and how they work.

The Ortofons can be a little cool sounding, particularly the "black" ones. I had the same issue with the Cadenza Black.

The Benz sound is certainly at the opposite end of the spectrum to Ortofon, and you may well prefer it. The Glider will be warmer, fuller and richer sounding, although it can sound a bit slow depending on the system. I ran a Glider for years with an LP12 during the late 1990s and loved it. I think the speed of the LP12 complemented the Benz sound, and it may be the same with the Rega.

That said, the Dynavector is also a warmer sounding cartridge than the Ortofon, while retaining speed and dynamics. It is not as rich or lush as the Benz but these days I find I prefer the DV sound. I actually have a 20X2 and a Benz Glider at the moment, both of which I used on my Rega decks (when I owned them), and both sounded very good.

The high output MCs are just a shade less dynamic and less refined than the low output versions, but it is only a marginal difference and it may be an ideal solution for your set up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rossb said:

The high output MCs are just a shade less dynamic and less refined than the low output versions, but it is only a marginal difference and it may be an ideal solution for your set up.

^ ^ ^  what he said!  :thumb:

2 hours ago, astormsau said:

Andy I’m not too familiar with SUT’s vs head amps and how they work.

If you want a detailed explanation of the difference, Drew ... PM me and I'll reply.  (I don't want to do it in this thread because a lot of people who come here won't be interested - as it's a bit OT.  :) )

Andy

• 1 month later...

A little update for everyone. I auditioned a number of tables over the last few weeks and my search finally led me to a Michell Gyro SE.

I had a listen to it against the Rega P8 for quite some time and heard a number of qualities in the Gyro which I really liked.

My Gyro arrived late last week and I am quietly getting familiar with it. Its quite different going from a rigid deck like the Rega to a bouncing castle like the Gyro (need to be careful after some wines at night).

Its running my Ortofon 2M Black from the RP8 on a new RB330 arm. The arm is using the same 2mm spacers I had on my RP8. The 2M black sounds quite different on the Gyro, quite a lot more relaxed.

Thanks to everyone for their info in the thread above.

Drew 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ahh- Schnoo Schnoo said:

@astormsau

Thanks for the update Drew

I followed this thread with interest.

Can you describe the auditioning process, and the shop you purchased from?

Thanks

Certainly. It’s perhaps fair to say that the best audition is to put something in your own system. With turntables that can be a little difficult. 

I auditioned the following tables at a few different stores and friends houses. I listened to an LP12, a Rega P3 (2016) with white belts and TT PSU (which I had the chance to listen to in my own system), a Mofi ultra deck, Rega P8 and the Michell Gyrodec. 

I had some pretty detailed chats with Darren and Ben at Carlton Audio here in Melbourne. We chatted through what I liked and didn’t like about the Rega RP8 sound wise in my system  and what I was looking for in my next table. I got a chance to compare the RP8 to the P8 side by side as well as the P8 and the Gyro. 

Ultimately I found the P8 to be quite a step up from the RP8 in a few areas but still with the Rega house sound. I found the Gyro offered more of the sound I was after and also a number of upgrade opportunities. My partner also quite liked the aesthetics of the Gyro which never hurts for something which takes up a decent amount of space in the living room. 

CAV worked with me on a really good price and a week later I was assembling the gyro. One of the reasons for choosing the gyro was the scope of arm and other upgrades in the future. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, astormsau said:

Certainly. It’s perhaps fair to say that the best audition is to put something in your own system. With turntables that can be a little difficult. 

I auditioned the following tables at a few different stores and friends houses. I listened to an LP12, a Rega P3 (2016) with white belts and TT PSU (which I had the chance to listen to in my own system), a Mofi ultra deck, Rega P8 and the Michell Gyrodec. 

I had some pretty detailed chats with Darren and Ben at Carlton Audio here in Melbourne. We chatted through what I liked and didn’t like about the Rega RP8 sound wise in my system  and what I was looking for in my next table. I got a chance to compare the RP8 to the P8 side by side as well as the P8 and the Gyro. 

Ultimately I found the P8 to be quite a step up from the RP8 in a few areas but still with the Rega house sound. I found the Gyro offered more of the sound I was after and also a number of upgrade opportunities. My partner also quite liked the aesthetics of the Gyro which never hurts for something which takes up a decent amount of space in the living room. 

CAV worked with me on a really good price and a week later I was assembling the gyro. One of the reasons for choosing the gyro was the scope of arm and other upgrades in the future. 

If you still have the old table I would give @MrRogersa holler. Last I heard he had an as new Audio Origami PU7 tonearm with a Rega mount at a great price.  I have the PU7 on my Kuzma and will not be changing it for a long timel It is a brilliant tonearm and you may end up keeping your current Rega table.  Otherwise if the Gyro has a rega mount the PU7 may still be worth  the investment.

Edited by PKay

6 minutes ago, PKay said:

If you still have the old table I would give @MrRogersa holler. Last I heard he had an as new Audio Origami PU7 tonearm with a Rega mount at a great price.  I have the PU7 on my Kuzma and will not be changing it for a long timel It is a brilliant tonearm and you may end up keeping your current Rega table.  Otherwise if the Gyro has a rega mount the PU7 may still be worth  the investment.

The RP8 was sold to another lovely SNA’er a few weeks ago who upgraded from a P3 and is loving it. 

The RB330 and the 2M Black are doing great right now and I think the future move will be a cart upgrade :)

• 10 months later...

Hi everyone 

I thought I would give a little update on this journey for anyone looking at this thread in the future. Late last year I picked up the Michell from CAV like a parent handling a newborn and carefully drove it home and set it up. I kept my 2M Black from my old RP8 and figured I would get to know the table before making any changes. 

Several months later I sold my GSP Accession phono stage to a good mate who fell in love with it. After several detailed comparison sessions I found the tube phono section of my McIntosh C2200 to be as good if not slightly more to my taste than the Accession. 

During our lockdown curiosity got the better of me and I decided to sell the 2M black and move on to a new cart. At that stage I wasn’t sure what that would be so spent lots of time re-reading this post and chatting to some dealers.

I was lucky enough to be able to borrow a SoundSmith Carmen to try in my system. Once mounted it became immediately apparent that the Carmen offered a smoothness I had missed in the Ortofon. I also felt that the Carmen produced a more pleasing sound with some of my older pressings. Something was nagging me a bit though, I felt the Carmen lacked a bit of detail. 

I was also a bit wary of the lower output 2.5mv Carmen requiring quite a lot more on the volume dial of my pre which really wants about 4.5mv for its correct output. 

I enquired with my dealer about moving up the SoundSmith line to the Zephyr and they said that for the same or better dollars they could supply a MC and SUT and that I should really try that first. 

So the next day I mounted a Van Den Hul DDT-2 Special on to the Michell and connected up an Ortofon ST-7 with Van Den Hul D-501 Hybrid silver interconnect between the SUT and the MM phono stage in the Mac. 

The VDH has an absolutely tiny cantilever- assume this is common to MC carts. I found it really difficult to see it well enough to align it and ended up using a workshop magnifying glass and borrowed a Dr Feickert from a friend to get the alignment just right. In doing that I also realised the spindle to pivot distance on the Michell Gyro is shorter than the Rega specified and learnt that apparently that’s been done to make it easier to achieve Baerwald alignment.  

For my ears the difference between the MM/MI carts I have used over the years was quite a revelation. Particularly of note was the amount detail retrieval, agility when dealing with transients, staging depth and height, agreeable top end and lack of groove noise. 

Two days later I was installing a new VDH on to the gyro and commencing a 100 hour break in as recommended by manufacturer and listening to my collection all over again. I’ve always been curious about MC but wanted to avoid additional components in my system - I’m very glad I made the jump. 

In the future I’m hoping to investigate other SUT options and will consider either the Michell counterweight for the RB330 or perhaps a new arm with time. 

drew

• Like 1