Best bookshelf speakers up to 3k

Hi guys,

we have reorganised our TV cabinet and unfortunately my beloved Paradigm Studio 100's just don't fit the space.

I'm looking at buying a pair of very good bookshelfs instead.

I've never heard them but from a quick google, the Paradigm Prestige 15B's, the KEF R3

Any hints to get me started?

The amp is a Yamaha RX-A2080. It's a 2 speaker only setup but i'll prob add a sub later on.

cheers

Gav

Consider outside the square. You are going to actually be sitting them on a bench/bookshelf? How about some Magnepan Mini Maggies?

http://www.magnepan.com/model_mini_maggie

McLeans has them for $2k retail:

http://mcleans.info/shop/productDetails.do?categoryId=1254&productId=208333

Alternatively, KEF range is very popular here, you could get an actively amplified pair for that price.

Edited by Ittaku
  • Love 1

Guest jakeyb77

Have a read of all the positive reviews @Grizzly had about the Contrast bookshelves from the recent hifi show. 
Brand new in your price range and simply stunning in looks and sound. 

11 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

Have a read of all the positive reviews @Grizzly had about the Contrast bookshelves from the recent hifi show. 
Brand new in your price range and simply stunning in looks and sound. 

And a huge +1 on that .

I have been listening to the Model One speakers every week for some  months now at the @Grizzly cave and they are fantastic. If you like the music real and organic without artefact and with great agility then these are your guys. This doesn't mean boredom or a cure for insomnia, like some name brands I could ( but won't ) mention, quite the reverse in fact.

There is no etch or hyper detail and yet they are completely involving and have a listen-all-day feel.

You also get the bonus of dealing with one of the best people you could wish to meet and support him in his new venture.

Highly recommended.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Irek said:

Speakers and generally HIFI system is more important than any furniture. The cabinet should be adjusted to your system not the other way around. 

Ha ha, was going to post something similar, but thought it rude. Now you have set the bar, I'll pile it on.

Priorities Gav,Buddy, putting TV before music. I Don't get it. Ah... bet you're married.?

I have the latest Monitor Audio Silver 100 (actually quite big for bookshelf due to the 8inch driver) and they are exceptional.  For $1500 you cant go wrong and when I auditioned them they sounded much better to my ears than many other brands who were significantly more pricier.

Edited by Syrot
  • Like 1

On 24/10/2019 at 9:30 PM, Irek said:

Speakers and generally HIFI system is more important than any furniture. The cabinet should be adjusted to your system not the other way around. 

My wife is very pretty and I occasionally enjoy sleeping with her. The cabinet is adjusted to her, not the speakers unfortunately and any variance on this will be met with sleeping in the dog kennel.

• Like 3

Guest jakeyb77
2 hours ago, gavincato said:

My wife is very pretty and I occasionally enjoy sleeping with her. The cabinet is adjusted to her, not the speakers unfortunately and any variance on this will be met with sleeping in the dog kennel.

Contrast- the aphrodisiac of the audiophile world ?

On 24/10/2019 at 2:41 PM, gavincato said:

Hi guys,

we have reorganised our TV cabinet and unfortunately my beloved Paradigm Studio 100's just don't fit the space.

I'm looking at buying a pair of very good bookshelfs instead.

I've never heard them but from a quick google, the Paradigm Prestige 15B's, the KEF R3

Any hints to get me started?

The amp is a Yamaha RX-A2080. It's a 2 speaker only setup but i'll prob add a sub later on.

cheers

Gav

Gav spending this much ... a beautiful standmount will get for your money ... but I don’t think the yam is likely to do justice....

and choosing well and depending on space .... it might even turn out you don’t need a sub...save money and grief of integration and put into speakers amp and source instead :) less is more sometimes ... less components budget spread less thinly on more choice components :)

ps I have heard a B&W 805D in a reasonably smaller room and there was absolutely no need for sub.....and this was with track with good bass and sub bass content 

my own system I run some focal 1007be gorgeous top end good warmth in midrange and full and rich bass. I used to run a 12” velodyne dd12 servo controlled subwoofer integrated to Nth degree and that went very low in this room and have done for many years with not only these speakers but others in mission, pmc to legend and such ... upgraded amp and no longer found needed the sub ....

if like kef sound I’d check out speakers like focal. Mine were done $7k new but go easily in your budget 2nd hand and gorgeous finished and done heft at 15kg each !!!

also consider b&w 805D, monitor audio, tannoy and pmc... but you will need to up in amp stakes and Likely source as well not sure what using there...

0I9A0918.jpg

Guest jakeyb77
13 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Gav spending this much ... a beautiful standmount will get for your money ... but I don’t think the yam is likely to do justice....

and choosing well and depending on space .... it might even turn out you don’t need a sub...save money and grief of integration and put into speakers amp and source instead :) less is more sometimes ... less components budget spread less thinly on more choice components :)

ps I have heard a B&W 805D in a reasonably smaller room and there was absolutely no need for sub.....and this was with track with good bass and sub bass content 

my own system I run some focal 1007be gorgeous top end good warmth in midrange and full and rich bass. I used to run a 12” velodyne dd12 servo controlled subwoofer integrated to Nth degree and that went very low in this room and have done for many years with not only these speakers but others in mission, pmc to legend and such ... upgraded amp and no longer found needed the sub ....

if like kef sound I’d check out speakers like focal. Mine were done $7k new but go easily in your budget 2nd hand and gorgeous finished and done heft at 15kg each !!!

also consider b&w 805D, monitor audio, tannoy and pmc... but you will need to up in amp stakes and Likely source as well not sure what using there...

0I9A0918.jpg

I like your listening chair tucked away there Al 

Guest jakeyb77
4 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Nice Osborn’s in the classifieds 

Bookshelf?!? ??

*** oops thought you meant mine lol

Edited by jakeyb77

My suggestion , have a look at the various Australia made speakers, krix VAF, Hugich, lenehan etc etc 

you our will get more bang for your buck and still plenty of choice. 

Edited by cafe67

9 hours ago, cafe67 said:

My suggestion , have a look at the various Australia made speakers, krix VAF, Hugich, lenehan etc etc 

you our will get more bang for your buck and still plenty of choice. 

By goodness the guy who wrote the Osborn website doesnt mind sticking his chest out and making some big claims!

Thanks for the Aussie list, working my way through their websites at the moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gavincato said:

By goodness the guy who wrote the Osborn website doesnt mind sticking his chest out and making some big claims!

Thanks for the Aussie list, working my way through their websites at the moment.

You noticed huh ?

Adelaide speakers are supposed to be very. 

Dont forgot to keep your eye on classifieds here for good quality bargains.