Jump to content

gavincato

Best bookshelf speakers up to 3k

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

 

we have reorganised our TV cabinet and unfortunately my beloved Paradigm Studio 100's just don't fit the space.

 

I'm looking at buying a pair of very good bookshelfs instead.

 

I've never heard them but from a quick google, the Paradigm Prestige 15B's, the KEF R3

 

Any hints to get me started?

 

The amp is a Yamaha RX-A2080. It's a 2 speaker only setup but i'll prob add a sub later on.

 

cheers

 

Gav

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

As you have had Paradigms before, most companies usually have a 'company sound' so they 15B's should be worth a listen, but as always, listen to what is available.

 

JJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The speaker audition list pinned at the top of the top of the Speakers and Subwoofers subject has recommendations.

Edited by Al.M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Consider outside the square. You are going to actually be sitting them on a bench/bookshelf? How about some Magnepan Mini Maggies?

http://www.magnepan.com/model_mini_maggie

McLeans has them for $2k retail:

http://mcleans.info/shop/productDetails.do?categoryId=1254&productId=208333

 

Alternatively, KEF range is very popular here, you could get an actively amplified pair for that price.

Edited by Ittaku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Have a read of all the positive reviews @Grizzly had about the Contrast bookshelves from the recent hifi show. 
Brand new in your price range and simply stunning in looks and sound. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

definitely can recommend the KEF R3 - think of them as LS50's on steroids :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

Have a read of all the positive reviews @Grizzly had about the Contrast bookshelves from the recent hifi show. 
Brand new in your price range and simply stunning in looks and sound. 

And a huge +1 on that .

 

I have been listening to the Model One speakers every week for some  months now at the @Grizzly cave and they are fantastic. If you like the music real and organic without artefact and with great agility then these are your guys. This doesn't mean boredom or a cure for insomnia, like some name brands I could ( but won't ) mention, quite the reverse in fact.

There is no etch or hyper detail and yet they are completely involving and have a listen-all-day feel.

 

You also get the bonus of dealing with one of the best people you could wish to meet and support him in his new venture.

 

Highly recommended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


+1 for the Contrasts as Jakey and RT have said they were very very good at the show. @cheekyboy and @Grizzly  may be able to help you in your decision.

 

image.thumb.png.3cc8f8988cdc3e9562a7040207923207.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speakers and generally HIFI system is more important than any furniture. The cabinet should be adjusted to your system not the other way around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Irek said:

Speakers and generally HIFI system is more important than any furniture. The cabinet should be adjusted to your system not the other way around. 

Ha ha, was going to post something similar, but thought it rude. Now you have set the bar, I'll pile it on.

 

Priorities Gav,Buddy, putting TV before music. I Don't get it. Ah... bet you're married.😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the latest Monitor Audio Silver 100 (actually quite big for bookshelf due to the 8inch driver) and they are exceptional.  For $1500 you cant go wrong and when I auditioned them they sounded much better to my ears than many other brands who were significantly more pricier.

Edited by Syrot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 24/10/2019 at 9:30 PM, Irek said:

Speakers and generally HIFI system is more important than any furniture. The cabinet should be adjusted to your system not the other way around. 

My wife is very pretty and I occasionally enjoy sleeping with her. The cabinet is adjusted to her, not the speakers unfortunately and any variance on this will be met with sleeping in the dog kennel.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gavincato said:

My wife is very pretty and I occasionally enjoy sleeping with her. The cabinet is adjusted to her, not the speakers unfortunately and any variance on this will be met with sleeping in the dog kennel.

 

 

Contrast- the aphrodisiac of the audiophile world 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/10/2019 at 2:41 PM, gavincato said:

Hi guys,

 

we have reorganised our TV cabinet and unfortunately my beloved Paradigm Studio 100's just don't fit the space.

 

I'm looking at buying a pair of very good bookshelfs instead.

 

I've never heard them but from a quick google, the Paradigm Prestige 15B's, the KEF R3

 

Any hints to get me started?

 

The amp is a Yamaha RX-A2080. It's a 2 speaker only setup but i'll prob add a sub later on.

 

cheers

 

Gav

 

 

Gav spending this much ... a beautiful standmount will get for your money ... but I don’t think the yam is likely to do justice....

 

and choosing well and depending on space .... it might even turn out you don’t need a sub...save money and grief of integration and put into speakers amp and source instead :) less is more sometimes ... less components budget spread less thinly on more choice components :)


ps I have heard a B&W 805D in a reasonably smaller room and there was absolutely no need for sub.....and this was with track with good bass and sub bass content 

 

my own system I run some focal 1007be gorgeous top end good warmth in midrange and full and rich bass. I used to run a 12” velodyne dd12 servo controlled subwoofer integrated to Nth degree and that went very low in this room and have done for many years with not only these speakers but others in mission, pmc to legend and such ... upgraded amp and no longer found needed the sub ....

if like kef sound I’d check out speakers like focal. Mine were done $7k new but go easily in your budget 2nd hand and gorgeous finished and done heft at 15kg each !!!

 

also consider b&w 805D, monitor audio, tannoy and pmc... but you will need to up in amp stakes and Likely source as well not sure what using there...

0I9A0918.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Gav spending this much ... a beautiful standmount will get for your money ... but I don’t think the yam is likely to do justice....

 

and choosing well and depending on space .... it might even turn out you don’t need a sub...save money and grief of integration and put into speakers amp and source instead :) less is more sometimes ... less components budget spread less thinly on more choice components :)


ps I have heard a B&W 805D in a reasonably smaller room and there was absolutely no need for sub.....and this was with track with good bass and sub bass content 

 

my own system I run some focal 1007be gorgeous top end good warmth in midrange and full and rich bass. I used to run a 12” velodyne dd12 servo controlled subwoofer integrated to Nth degree and that went very low in this room and have done for many years with not only these speakers but others in mission, pmc to legend and such ... upgraded amp and no longer found needed the sub ....

if like kef sound I’d check out speakers like focal. Mine were done $7k new but go easily in your budget 2nd hand and gorgeous finished and done heft at 15kg each !!!

 

also consider b&w 805D, monitor audio, tannoy and pmc... but you will need to up in amp stakes and Likely source as well not sure what using there...

0I9A0918.jpg

I like your listening chair tucked away there Al 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...