Spotify super premium

What is the super best way to listen to spotify?

I've got two in house options for spotify listening, one an iphone 5 over bluetooth to a cambridge audio one, which is outstanding.

The second option is a pc to a nad d07050, which is also brilliant.

The pc is easier to make playlists, but the phone is like an uber remote control, I'm hard pressed to say which way I prefer sans speakers.

Expensive streamers have been said to be the best, but do their controls match the simplicity of the spotify apple app?

2 minutes ago, joz said:

I’m sure you lose SQ over Bluetooth.

So I’d say preferably a component which can play it directly.

Yes, I agree, it generally sounds better run through a server/streamer with Spotify direct through a decent hi fi system. Bit with cheapy buds and an iPhone, it’s not so much an issue, IMO.

i just really want them to do Spotify lossless, there has been talk of it for years, but nothing, such a shame as they have the best catalogue and GUI, IMO.

i just signed on to Tidal and it seems clunky compared to Spotify.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I use this approach:

iphone 5 permanently at stereo (permanently on charge) > iPhone “camera connector” > USB to spdif converter (Gustard). > digital in on Dac.

This cost me almost nothing as I had all the bits.  That is, can use an old phone as your digital end-point, use an external DAC for sound quality, and voila!  The result is really impressive!  We can then just use any device with Spotify app in the house to “send” music to the iPhone 5.....

Edited by Mat-with-one-t

3 minutes ago, metal beat said:

listen to it in the car - absolute quality does not matter too much then :)

Same here, bought one of these cheap BT receiver thingys off ebay that you plug into a 12 volt socket (2004 Subaru outback-CD player happily used to take a cd but was a difficult process in negotiating getting it back out...needle nose pliers and cd's ....ahhhh ph....!!!)

Least I have some form of music in the car going to work.

• Like 3

My car stereo salesman lied to me about the car head deck being compatible to an iphone, thus Im using a usb stick there instead.

Discovery of music on spotify is without peer I intuit, the spotify algorithm for choosing more songs immediately after what I've already chosen is awesome.  Time and time again I'm presented with new cool music.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, warweary said:

Discovery of music on spotify is without peer I intuit, the spotify algorithm for choosing more songs immediately after what I've already chosen is awesome.  Time and time again I'm presented with new cool music.

100% agree, it’s a great feature.  I start with and album in my library that I feel like listening to, and then let Spotify keep playing music when it’s at the end.

In terms of sound quality, a streamer/DAC that has Spotify direct sounds better than airplay to the streamer/DAC.

• Like 1

My streaming integrated does not do Spotify. I can bluetooth from my phone or ipad but it sounds terrible in comparison to the native Tidal app. I do have a usb input, is the ipad/iphone charge cable also a digital output that I can plug straight in?

There is a fair bit of mucking around getting a cable to the back of the unit so prefer to know it's going to work first. Integrated is a Moon Neo ACE.

17 hours ago, warweary said:

Expensive streamers have been said to be the best, but do their controls match the simplicity of the spotify apple app?

If adding another device is an option look at a Sonos, Blueound Node 1 or 2 Or Chromecast Audio. On these devices the best way to use them is via "Spotify Connect" which means you use the Spotify app on the iPhone 5 or PC to control it, but it plays from the actual device itself. So no loss of quality or dropouts.

I use the BSN2 and although I've compared Tidal to Spotify, the quality of Spotify is so good this way that I've never locked in Tidal on a long term basis.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, warweary said:

The pc is easier to make playlists, but the phone is like an uber remote control, I'm hard pressed to say which way I prefer sans speakers.

You should be able to control Spotify on the PC with your phone, I do.

Edited by Satanica
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Satanica said:

You should be able to control Spotify on the PC with your phone, I do.

Same.

You usually get a message asking to keep controlling PC playlist with ph and listen through PC in my case, as it's hardwired to my amps.

Similar if I'm streaming or blue toothing, it'll ask if it gets confused and as it's owner is in a constant state of confusion... It pops those questions quite a lot. ?

• Like 1

I’m lucky enough that my amp’s dac supports my iPad. I have the spare iPad mini connected to the amp’s dac.  I start the playing from the iPad, then when I open Spotify from my phone it asks whether I want to continue listening on the iPad. If I select yes then the phone is a fully operational remote control. Simple and sounds great. 

• Like 2

image.thumb.png.70759520367ae914d203e0c95cc0c4a4.pngThese are the older model, analogue obviously but people still occasionally see them.

2 hours ago, Mr 57 said:

the awaited arrival of a Cabasse Source.

Exciting! The posty needs to bring it to the front door and mention that there's something moving inside....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Luc said:

image.thumb.png.70759520367ae914d203e0c95cc0c4a4.pngThese are the older model, analogue obviously but people still occasionally see them.

Exciting! The posty needs to bring it to the front door and mention that there's something moving inside....

Lmao....I like your thinking ??

• Like 1

pretty much the same as wimbo,acer laptop usb into gieseler klein dac11 into ME24 pre 850 power amp to jbl4429 sounds pretty damn good to me,i alsohave tried tidal hifi a couple of times,i prefer spotify.

• Like 1