Bulk Tape Erasers

Years ago I built a picture tube degaussing wand, which would be something similar. Wound about 2,000 turns of 22AWG enamelled wire over a core of steel packing strap strips that were arranged in three stacks, and angled to give a hexagonal cross section. Because I wound it by hand, I lost track around 1700 turns, so it may have 1900 to 2100 turns LOL..

This coil was fitted inside a piece of 30mm PVC tubing with a momentary switch fitted. I must admit, I was a bit wary testing it the first time.

degauss.jpg.e525d5c152b704238a9bb1ffefd8a17e.jpg

But probably no scarier than the 1,000 to 1 voltage probe I also made.

HVprobe.jpg.3c7de6099f6f062a737495029ed2470e.jpg

7 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

Years ago I built a picture tube degaussing wand, which would be something similar. Wound about 2,000 turns of 22AWG enamelled wire over a core of steel packing strap strips that were arranged in three stacks, and angled to give a hexagonal cross section. Because I wound it by hand, I lost track around 1700 turns, so it may have 1900 to 2100 turns LOL..

This coil was fitted inside a piece of 30mm PVC tubing with a momentary switch fitted. I must admit, I was a bit wary testing it the first time.

degauss.jpg.e525d5c152b704238a9bb1ffefd8a17e.jpg

But probably no scarier than the 1,000 to 1 voltage probe I also made.

HVprobe.jpg.3c7de6099f6f062a737495029ed2470e.jpg

That looks like a weapon!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was always amused by the range of wares in the Tandy catalogue, and always thought it was rubbish quality - I now understand that some of their electronics was very good quality (for what it was).  I have a recollection that the bulk tape eraser would be the sort of thing that was in the catalogue, but I'm relying on a memory from decades ago.  I think the bulk erasers would be the sort of thing that would have been tossed out when CDRs made cassettes obsolete.  There were probably several professional brands of bulk erasers that would have been used in recording studios and cassette duplication plants. 

There are vintage radio shack pdf catalogues online, a google search will locate them.  Most are US, but there may be some from the UK as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

I was always amused by the range of wares in the Tandy catalogue, and always thought it was rubbish quality - I now understand that some of their electronics was very good quality (for what it was). 

Totally agree with you on this - I used to thing it was overpriced rubbish.

• Like 1