Help diagnose problem - Elektra Theatre

Hi all

I recenlt purchased an early gen Elektra Theatre (6 x 150w @8 ohm version) and have been having some buzzing, humming, popping problems.

I have it hooked up to an Anthem MRX 300 and VAF speakers. My PC is also connected to the receiver via HDMI.

I get a very noticeable buzz, hum etc noise on channel 6. I also get a popping noise on channel 4 when changing chapters on movies, muting music etc. Finally, I seem to get a lot of crackling and static via all channels when my PC is turned on and connected via HDMI.

I’ve tried this identical setup with another power amp (Emotiva) and it works perfectly with no hum, buzz etc. I’ve also stripped back the system to the basics and tried different combinations of speakers, cables etc but cannot eliminate the noise problems.

Any thoughts on the likely problem? It seems isolated to the Elektra.

Make sure you have a 3 pin power cable (i.e. with an earth)  connected to the Elektra. Do you still get hum if you have the AVR, PC and Elektra on the same power board?

Beyond that I'd be suggesting you return it for a refund or send it to Arthur Rappos for a service.

A 6ch 150w would be quite old unit we are talking before even original theatre 7? and Before theatron ? Ie about 20+ years old usually serial number is date...

arthur from memory does standard update with gold contacts I believe and quite affordably For older units . Being so old probably worth a check over, he might be able to update. I’d give him a ring to chat and if possible box it up and ship to him. Need a good box and well protected with foam inside as these are heavy !!

• Like 1

Make sure you have a 3 pin power cable (i.e. with an earth)  connected to the Elektra. Do you still get hum if you have the AVR, PC and Elektra on the same power board?

Beyond that I'd be suggesting you return it for a refund or send it to Arthur Rappos for a service.

I should have mentioned I’ve already tried a different power cable and all of my system is connected to a single high quality Thor power board.

If your computer is a laptop try running it off battery and see if it improves ( it should ). Then plug in the power cord. I had terrible problems with a laptop and found my only solution was to get a linear power supply for it . That was a HD plex no insignificant one with 19v , 12 v 9v and 5 v which two combinations could be used . The other advice of getting the Elektra checked over is a winner no matter which way you look at it . 

Those power amps do a lot of work under a lot of heat and parts get stressed . But try it on battery first if you can .