Sign in to follow this  
Steronetchris1989

Please help, Cambridge audio 851n or naim nd5 xs?

I have a choice of these two streamers,

Cambridge audio 851n.

naim nd5 xs bluetooth version.

I mainly have my music on a hard drive and connect it to the streamer by USB, also like FM Radio and DAB radio.

Please help!!!

The 851n is similar to the CXN V2, which I have. You can stream via USB but also wifi or Ethernet cable, in which case you can see any metadata you might have. The sound is marginally better than the CXN V2, though the internet radio is (I think) not quite as good. It cannot do FM or DAB, though the internet radio more than makes up for that. I have only seen the Naim at dealers, and it seems equally capable, and though I haven’t spent much time listening to it, it seems to get good raps and have a good interface.

Justin

Vote for the naim nd5 xs, keep in mind that naim hasn’t got usb in, options are optical, bnc and rca coax digital. 
Neo

Edited by Neo

851n is fully balanced, if that’s important to you.

My experience with Cambridge Audio is that the support is pretty poor and their gear is built to a (cheap) price.

The Naim gear will hold its value better when you (may) want to sell it further down the track (upgraditis).

4 hours ago, Pegasus said:

My experience with Cambridge Audio is that the support is pretty poor and their gear is built to a (cheap) price.

The Naim gear will hold its value better when you (may) want to sell it further down the track (upgraditis).

My personal experience with Synergy (CA Dist.) has been very good but Id prob push towards the Naim given the choice.

The Naim ND5 XS came out with the option of two add on cards: one adding blue tooth, the other adding a tuner.

If you have the tuner one you could listen to radio through it.

It doesn't have USB input from a computer, but it does have USB for playing files from a flash drive.

Thanks everyone for the help! So the reason why im leaning towards the naim nd5 is because it has FM/Dab Turner, bluetooth and a USB port at the front.

And I also think that the ND5 is a superior product

On 23/10/2019 at 8:03 PM, Steronetchris1989 said:

because it has FM/Dab Turner, bluetooth and a USB port

Make sure it does have both tuner and blue tooth, both of these are add on cards and not every ND5 XS has either of these.

My ND5 XS has the tuner module but not the blue tooth for example.

while I can't comment on the sound of the Naim product keep in mind that the Naim is twice the price of the Cambridge Audio (even more with add-ons), and as such I would expect it to outperform the CA - although price isn't always an indicator of performance.  I own an 851n and cant speak highly enough of it.  Sound is great, easy to use and plays all the radio stations I need like radio paradise FLAC.  I have also added a CXC to take advantage of its DAC Capabilities.  I would at least have an audition of it - if possible find a dealer who stocks both and do a comparison.  You might save yourself a bit of cash.

On 23/10/2019 at 5:03 PM, Steronetchris1989 said:

Thanks everyone for the help! So the reason why im leaning towards the naim nd5 is because it has FM/Dab Turner, bluetooth and a USB port at the front.

And I also think that the ND5 is a superior product

Hi Chris,

I have owned the 851N for a few years. I should point out you can option Bluetooth and it does actually have a USB port on the front face plate.

It’s a fantastic unit for the money and sounds impressive particularly through the XLR outputs coupled to a good system. It’s DAC and output stage is a decent step up from the CXN sibling.

I have several DAC’s including a much more expensive PSA Dircectstream and I have to say for the money it is very good. You may also want to consider the presentation you prefer and ideally try to listen to both in a similar environment. The 851 presents on the brighter side, I haven’t heard the Naim so I can’t comment on that.  Enjoy whichever one you end up buying 👍

Edited by Nicolai
Typo