Sign in to follow this  
anewmission

Minimserver and new router

If you are prepared to pay, Audio Linux, Euphony are probably the best.

I am using SnakeOil because it made things easier to install music library and MinimServer without needing to go into the Command line. Unlike other audio players, no difference with MinimServer performance between different distros. 

Win has far too many overheads, difficult to manage. I was a long time Foobar, stayed with Win because of it (sound familiar?). My Linux based SMS-200 blew apart Win/Foobar and since then, I no longer use Win for music.
OK, I am going to try snake oil after I play around with daphile. For some reason volumio won't boot. It was saying not enough ram even though I have 8gb? Very strange

If you are prepared to pay, Audio Linux, Euphony are probably the best.

I am using SnakeOil because it made things easier to install music library and MinimServer without needing to go into the Command line. Unlike other audio players, no difference with MinimServer performance between different distros. 

Win has far too many overheads, difficult to manage. I was a long time Foobar, stayed with Win because of it (sound familiar?). My Linux based SMS-200 blew apart Win/Foobar and since then, I no longer use Win for music.
I really like using the squeezer app to control daphile. Is there an app for snakeoil or is it all Web based?

1 hour ago, anewmission said:

I really like using the squeezer app to control daphile. Is there an app for snakeoil or is it all Web based?

SnakeOil is a Linux distro!  It has LMS, MPS, MinimServer etc that you can select as the player of choice.  If you choose one of the LMS versions, you can continue using Squeezer.

SnakeOil is a Linux distro!  It has LMS, MPS, MinimServer etc that you can select as the player of choice.  If you choose one of the LMS versions, you can continue using Squeezer.
OK I'll try it out.. Considering I needed to open a port for daphile, do you know the port number for snakeoil? I have been playing around with daphile and I'm surprised it's playing anything above 44.1, it's refusing dsd at the moment

1 minute ago, anewmission said:

OK I'll try it out.. Considering I needed to open a port for daphile, do you know the port number for snakeoil? I have been playing around with daphile and I'm surprised it's playing anything above 44.1, it's refusing dsd at the moment

Ports depend on individual players. SnakOil manages that on the Linux end. DSD is a different headache.  Suggest you start with LMS first before trying others.  LMS & MPD are the 2 common ones and I ended choosing MPD for its detail, but its Apps are lousy.  

Note that some people flee back  to Win after trialing Linux because it does things differently and required sometimes using Linux commands.  SnakeOil minimises commands and takes out unnecessary bits. AgentKith, the developer is helpful but overloaded.  Based in WA.  But like all Linux distros, there are some "technical" steps for the install.

Ports depend on individual players. SnakOil manages that on the Linux end. DSD is a different headache.  Suggest you start with LMS first before trying others.  LMS & MPD are the 2 common ones and I ended choosing MPD for its detail, but its Apps are lousy.  

Note that some people flee back  to Win after trialing Linux because it does things differently and required sometimes using Linux commands.  SnakeOil minimises commands and takes out unnecessary bits. AgentKith, the developer is helpful but overloaded.  Based in WA.  But like all Linux distros, there are some "technical" steps for the install.
I have had experience with Linux mint and ubuntu so that's ok. I was able to set up dsd and also convert pcm to dsd in daphile.
Now to try snake oil and compare sq.

So it's looking like I'm going to have a fairly similar setup to you.

Nas — pc(snakeoil or daphile) — dac

Things I'm hoping to achieve is
sacd.iso playback
Tidal mqa playback
Pcm to dsd conversion
Ability to render to different rooms (kodi upnp/dlna)