Sign in to follow this  
Batty

Show us your Power Amplifiers.

2 minutes ago, TerryO said:

Considering it is a 1994 build this gorgeous looking Sansui 907 Limited is one very nice sounding amp, at a recent gtg it didn’t embarrass it self against a trio of $20k plus amps.

Certainly it is a 1994 extreme Japanese luxury build. However the inherent circuit topology predates that build date by some margin. Looking through this great topic I'm reminded once again, that circuit design and the "never ending" quest to "lower distortion without compromise" continues......The 907 is as you know an integrated amp....==Show us Ya integrated amps??

Here's a  Sansui power amp.. Lets see who may be able to identify this one??

002.JPG

16 minutes ago, The Fez said:

Looking through this great topic I'm reminded once again, that circuit design and the "never ending" quest to "lower distortion without compromise" continues.

The way see it, TF ... the "never ending quest to lower distortion " was a feature of Japanese amps of the 70s and 80s ... which resulted in amps with impressively low THD figures but a sterile sound (due to maximal levels of global NFB applied, in order to get to the low THD figures).  Nowadays, amp designers are interested in making an amp which performs well ... but also sounds good.  :)  (Note: I'm not including Class D amps in this - as it seems they all have extremely low distortion.  I have no idea whether they use global NFB to achieve this ... or not.)

Andy

1 hour ago, andyr said:

The way see it, TF ... the "never ending quest to lower distortion " was a feature of Japanese amps of the 70s and 80s ... which resulted in amps with impressively low THD figures but a sterile sound (due to maximal levels of global NFB applied, in order to get to the low THD figures).  Nowadays, amp designers are interested in making an amp which performs well ... but also sounds good.  :)  (Note: I'm not including Class D amps in this - as it seems they all have extremely low distortion.  I have no idea whether they use global NFB to achieve this ... or not.)

Andy

This is what I called the bad old days of transistor power amps. Thank the god of audio they finally got better. 

And yes Class D relies on GNF to exist. 

Denafrips Hyperion.

T2iVvHK.jpg

And the glorified on/off switch:

bVDgmYw.jpg

But because of the remote I can place the amp in an obscure/inaccessible location! I know the pictures doesn't do the amp justice, I'll take some better shots in the weekend, probably some internals shots as well!

Much thanks @Dacman

Luxman MB300 monoblock
I have kept until now about 9 years

Luxman.JPG

Edited by Analogsound

cheap and  v cheerful tpa3255 from China w 48V psu.

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-02 at 12.03.19 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-02 at 12.03.19.jpeg

My pair of pizza boxes

ODA.jpeg

On 12/11/2019 at 5:09 AM, Luc said:

Very Rare Onkyo M-510 Grand Integra Stereo Power Amplifier.

image.png.7ad268725a0c10cd20a1b887bc65df4c.png

Beautiful isn't it.

Under the bonnet pics are grainy but  you get the idea

image.png.35c43b1357220de4234476fb6b77bc25.png

image.png.0a3fcced661b01fa55e98ad9ce7e3b81.png

The member here who owns one has promised to never to leave me alone in the same room/house with it or lend it as he doesn't trust me to return it.

He's 100% right too. 😍😍

This is the mother of all VU meters!!!

No VU meters on this one, though the sheer musicality makes up for it in spades!

20191121_195919.thumb.jpg.0956b3f9da8836a062d839733a19ba7e.jpg

Update from me! So I have 4x Hypex NC400 mono blocks, and 2x stereo NC400 for mid/high duties, mono blocks for bass drivers on my beloved VAF i93 MK2 signatures 

5FD16D2E-B111-4DC8-AE07-4D32BEA46385.jpeg

Hi Guys, thought you may find some shots of my Transcendent Sound OTL Monos interesting. The circuits are slightly modified from the standard, and casework is all mine. They were completed about 10 years ago and still amaze me every time I turn them on. Cheers, Mark.

P1010046.JPG

P1010051.JPG

5 minutes ago, Shark said:

Hi Guys, thought you may find some shots of my Transcendent Sound OTL Monos interesting. The circuits are slightly modified from the standard, and casework is all mine. They were completed about 10 years ago and still amaze me every time I turn them on. Cheers, Mark.

That is a veritable buttload of tubes. Very nice.

13 hours ago, Shark said:

P1010046.JPG

P1010051.JPG

Holy crap Batman. Amazing. My wallet just started quivering at the thought of a revalve.

Edited by Pops110

1 hour ago, Shark said:

P1010046.JPG

P1010051.JPG

Gorgeous deco casework, Shark. What material is it?

Newly built DIY “Precision” - 300W Holton inspired.

AEAFDA49-9152-485B-8423-9CD4B446A587.jpeg

EC6B30D1-061E-4247-ABFD-4AD4F3CFAB24.jpeg

On 03/12/2019 at 8:18 AM, Sinewave said:

Update from me! So I have 4x Hypex NC400 mono blocks, and 2x stereo NC400 for mid/high duties, mono blocks for bass drivers on my beloved VAF i93 MK2 signatures 

5FD16D2E-B111-4DC8-AE07-4D32BEA46385.jpeg

Beautiful symmetry!

On 23/11/2019 at 11:58 PM, Willmax said:

No VU meters on this one, though the sheer musicality makes up for it in spades!

20191121_195919.thumb.jpg.0956b3f9da8836a062d839733a19ba7e.jpg

Signed on to your channel, Will – love it! I’ve been dubious about the merits of assessing sounds/products through youtube, but the difference among your different bits of gear is striking. The KWs sound pretty  special, too! Can’t;t help but feel the room/floor lets you down a bit though...

On 17/11/2019 at 8:41 PM, The Fez said:

Here's a  Sansui power amp.. Lets see who may be able to identify this one??

002.JPG

1975 Sansui BA-1000 :)

V-FET amp, only sold in Japan

10 hours ago, RankStranger said:

Gorgeous deco casework, Shark. What material is it?

Hi Rank Stranger, the Fascias are Acrylic, and the Transformer Top Plate is Billet Alloy as are the rounded corners.

Cheers, Mark.

The Benchmark mono’s are gone and these Cyrus Mono X’s replaced them. 

D4845FD9-A34C-43E2-8644-F87641FF9FBC.jpeg.3a8def385c1f1369012c2cc5f5c2f6d1.jpeg

I’m happier than I thought I would be but they’ll be heading down to Sydders soon for some magic tweaks. They may be small but they’re not toys. They will be returning to me with a matching modded DAC XP+ to get the best out of them. 

Edited by Winno

There has been some likes for this amp build. Just one other image of the inside. 

F8356306-7194-4C89-8066-A14D7684D51F.jpeg

18 hours ago, TheOrb said:

Signed on to your channel, Will – love it! I’ve been dubious about the merits of assessing sounds/products through youtube, but the difference among your different bits of gear is striking. The KWs sound pretty  special, too! Can’t;t help but feel the room/floor lets you down a bit though...

Thanks for the sub' and your comments here, the room I have my HiFi setup at the moment, is a lot better than when I started out on this journey, I know it is far from being perfect or the ideal solution but it still provides me a great deal of enjoyment and that is important. Having said that,  I'm hoping to move on to a  much better arrangement in the near future, so fingers crossed!

Finally using the Halcro again. 

It is for sale so this might not have the usual weight but it is a fantastic piece of gear

DSC03275.JPG

DSC03277.JPG

DIY amps,

Aleph, J, Mini, ACA.

921538733_DSC05868e.jpg.1ea0e8d885c6c02c3ed3c4ce54818242.jpg

LM3886 dual mono 

87706608_DSC05201ed.jpg.e4f38dacbc869fce0a36d5d537338d5b.jpg

there is a LM1875 under my little work bench for testing things with.

SS in use 

Technics SE9060

Rotel RB1070

on the shelf

Adcom GFA555 series 1

Nad 2600 PE

Kenwood Basic M2A 

Tony