Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
GroovyGuru

SOLD: FS: Koetsu Onyx MC Cartridge

Recommended Posts

Item:   Koetsu Onyx MC Cartridge
Location:  Melbourne, Vic
Price:   $3500.00
Item Condition:  Good
Reason for selling:  Upgraded
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:   

 

This is an original Sugano cartridge.  It was rebuilt in October 2016 by Koetsu.  Refer the Certificate in the photo.  

 

The rebuild resulted in the cartridge sounding as good as new. 

 

It was many years after I bought this cartridge before I had to retip.  These rebuilds will last many years.  If you are concerned about the price of rebuilds, best not to buy a Koetsu.  I would not bother having an OEM retip this cartridge.  Went down that path, a waste of money in the long term.  

 

Edit:  This is where I sent it for rebuild and details of the rebuild.  http://koetsusea.com/Why-Rebuild-a-Koetsu-.php 


 
Photos: 

 

DSC_0002.JPG

Edited by GroovyGuru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

would u have an estimate of hours played since retipped?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 500hrs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, denimhunter said:

Hi

would u have an estimate of hours played since retipped?

About 500hrs

Edited by GroovyGuru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


What did they do in the "rebuild"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Citroen said:

What did they do in the "rebuild"?

It is my understanding that Koetsu replace everything, rather than simple put on a new stylus.   Which means they put in a new motor.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. Can you confirm that the rebuild only kept the body and all other components are new?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Citroen said:

Thanks. Can you confirm that the rebuild only kept the body and all other components are new?

No. I'm not about to open the cartridge.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Sorry, don't expect you to do that!

 

But can you get more info from Koetsu as to exactly what they did?

 

Cheers

Cliff

Edited by Citroen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Citroen said:

Thanks. Can you confirm that the rebuild only kept the body and all other components are new?

 

Cliff.   

 

When a Koetsu is sent for rebuilding, all the elements in the cartridge are replaced - only the cartridge body is retained.

 

http://koetsusea.com/Why-Rebuild-a-Koetsu-.php

 

 

Edited by metal beat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They keep old body only . Everything is new , and you won’t have the same sound of your old cartridge , that happened to me . 

Edited by palexsia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolute steal. I have heard this first hand on Peters system and it was the nicest midrange I’ve ever heard. I bet it’s sold within 24 hours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, Bluenote122 said:

What did they charge for the rebuild?

$2500 is case you are thinking of rebuilding your Koetsu to as new standard.  

 

4 hours ago, palexsia said:

They keep old body only . Everything is new , and you won’t have the same sound of your old cartridge , that happened to me . 

This did not happen to me. Mine was as good as new.   I believe when the sons first took over the business they had teething problems with learning the trade.  I think they have it under control now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So where does one send his Koetsu to get rebuilt now?

 

Any chance of posting another photo or 2 of the cartridge to show it a bit clearer?

Thanks

Edited by skies2clear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to have one of the original Onyx Koestu's in the 80's.

 

Apart from the stylus eventually wearing out and needing replacing, the suspension eventually fails as well [the rubber perishing is/was the usual culprit ].

 

As you can imagine, the parts are extremely delicate/fragile with these cartridges, so they came to the conclusion long ago that any cartridge sent in for a retip might as well be rebuilt.

 

Any prospective purchaser should be aware of the needed clearance available on the arm you intend to mount it on, I forgot just what it is, but it won't fit on all arms without some sort of spacers.

You could probably find that info out at the Vinyl  Engine website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


8 hours ago, skies2clear said:

So where does one send his Koetsu to get rebuilt now?

 

Any chance of posting another photo or 2 of the cartridge to show it a bit clearer?

Thanks

I sent it to Melvin Ang in Singapore for rebuild:   http://koetsusea.com/Why-Rebuild-a-Koetsu-.php

 

I'm working on getting a better photo and will put it up if it adds anything.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tweaky said:

I used to have one of the original Onyx Koestu's in the 80's.

 

Apart from the stylus eventually wearing out and needing replacing, the suspension eventually fails as well [the rubber perishing is/was the usual culprit ].

 

As you can imagine, the parts are extremely delicate/fragile with these cartridges, so they came to the conclusion long ago that any cartridge sent in for a retip might as well be rebuilt.

 

Any prospective purchaser should be aware of the needed clearance available on the arm you intend to mount it on, I forgot just what it is, but it won't fit on all arms without some sort of spacers.

You could probably find that info out at the Vinyl  Engine website.

You'll only need spacers if your tonearm does not have adjustable VTA.  Most tonearms will accommodate a Koetsu.  I think the Rega arms uses spacers for VTA.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I meant spacers from the arm base, not all had enough range in the pillar height depending on how thick the TT platter is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am currently considering an offer.  If you are serious, make an offer within the next 24hrs. 

 

It will be sold to the best offer made over the next 24hrs.

 

My advice to those wanting to prolong the life of expensive cartridges is use Slylast stylus preservative.  Use sparingly, not with a paint roller, and a stylus will last many years.  I use it habitually and one bottle lasts decades.

Edited by GroovyGuru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I currently have 2 offers.  I will inform you if you have the highest offer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This cartridge will be sold at 6 PM AEDT today unless a better offer is received.  I will not post the amount of the best offer because I'm not interested in increments of $1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sold pending payment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...