2019 Stereonet Melbourne Hi-Fi Show - Reports & Feedback

Firstly, big kudos to @Marc for putting the show together - keep up the great job!

It seems I was right to use public transport to get there and back, even though trams down St Kilda Rd are messed up with the roadworks, and protests slowed down the return trip - I neatly sidestepped any parking issues and can't gripe :)

I always find it fascinating to hear how wildly different the opinions of the rooms and setups are.  The different ways that people listen and enjoy their (also very different) music is what makes this hobby so maddeningly rich.

Nobody is interested in what I didn't like; even me, so I won't bother with that.

Unfortunately, I missed the ATCs and only got a brief listen to the Kharma setup. The Wing audio speakers are an interesting concept and I would have liked to get back there to check it out, but only got a short listen/chat with the team there.

Maybe best in show for me was the PMG show with the Kii speakers. Intellectually, these would be a serious consideration if I had the dosh - very flexible.

I was also very impressed with the Magnepans at the McLeans room, quite possibly as they were playing at a less ear-bleeding level this year. Oops, there I go complaining about too loud music, but in my defense, that was a grip about previous years - hehe.

It was great to see so many world-class Australian products, that represent great value.  Special call-out to the Lenehan/Heschl room.  This may be confirmation bias as I have clearly bought into the Lenehan sound, but this was the only room where I truly got lost in the music and felt the music was truly detached from the speakers. 

Also very impressive were the M8audio speakers and associated electronics, as well as the Wyndham Audio setup. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FAP911 said:

My pick of the day ( photo finish with the top of the line B&W's ) The opportunity to hear the ATC's was extraordinary - Could've stayed for hours

"Interesting" as I listen to both rooms a number of times and made a mental note how different they both were and I would only be happy listening to one at home....?    Thats why they make so many different ways to produce sound..

• Like 1

First up - thanks @Marc and SnA for another great show, Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my day.  I went on the Saturday as i've done in the past and also as i've done in the past I parked on St.Kilda Road, meter parking until 12:30pm then free.  I arrive around 10, pay for 2hrs then take an 8 minute walk and I'm set for the day.

I took my wife this year and we pretty much got through the entire show.  We were probably guilty of not spending a great deal of time in some rooms but that was dependant on how busy etc some of rooms were at the time. 

Funny thing this year is that some of the rooms that I liked the most would not normally be on my radar.  Amongst a few rooms I was really impressed with the B&W Formation Duo speakers, I thought given the room size B&W were in  the sound ouput from a $6,500 bookshelf speaker was great.  I also really enjoyed the M8Audio Sweet Maxwell speakers, I thought again they sounded really great - again a bookshelf speaker.  I normally jump on floorstanding loudspeakers but both of those I would happily consider for a room set up in the future, the B&W being true wireless aside from powerplug is a really big drawcard I think.

Yamaha room again was great,  though the louder the better seemed the key for them on Saturday.  I liked VAF and Osborn.  The Selby areas showcasing Krix home theatre etc were awesome and their setup up of Polk was good.  Was a little disappointed Vincent only had a corridor position this year but the lads from Selby explained the release of the Kris HT speaker the other week and needed to showcase that so the Vincent products got a shove this year.   I am a big KEF fan but was somewhat disppointed with their display/s, I don't think the room/s did them any justice - not necesarily the LS and LSX range but the floor standers BUT that said, it was the case for a few others also.  I am in agreeance that some rooms really seeped into other rooms with sound but It wasn't in all cases. 

I spent a bit of time trying to pay attention to the sort of powerboards being used too. Power conditioners etc in that environment I assumed would be high priority.  My takeaway from the show is now to look more into something like a Thor powerboard running from my mains for my componants.  I guess this shows that its not always about the main display that you can get from a show/expo like this.

We went to the Kharma room and listened to the speech on DACs etc for probably 20-25min, it was quite interesting for me (not sure my wife gave $0.02 but we did leave as there was no sign of any music being played for a while - I didnt return to the room, probably should have but didn't.

As for music that was played, last year I reckon near on every room was playing Chris Jones No Sanctuary, it was good this year to hear a variety of tunes, no one is going to play what I listen to so I dont really mind whats being played, I can listen to whatever through whatever and I am ok with that.  As said somewhere earlier, louder is not always better but it seemed some were of differing opinions.

The record fair was great again and although this year I walked away empty handed there was plenty there, just nothing I had on my immediate purchase radar.

My ONLY real criticisms of the day (there is 2) and something already mentioned in this thread (my wife also raised it on the day) was the sales focus. I have no issue with opportunity for ROI, but much like a car show, or any other show, things are on display for people to freely walk around and should they have a question staff are there to answer.  On many occassions we sat in a room for 20-25minutes listening to sales pitch for 2minutes of a song.  My memory may not always be the best but years past I am pretty sure I could walk into a room and music would be playing and there would be a more "organic" converstion with attendees and room staff where music was playing and people would wander in and out and conversation would just spark up. 

This year some rooms even had times on their doors for sessions and those sessions were essentially the sales pitch starting over with a few songs at the end.   I think anyone interested in a purchase or more details on pricing would be looking to chat with someone discretely in any case, not in a class room expo environment with question time at their end of the session!?

The 2nd gripe, would be some rooms have their doors shut, not even slightly ajar but shut properly, there were a couple of times up around the M room areas that I wasnt sure if we should be entering or not. 

They were my small only gripes and really, they're minor given the fun opportunity the day does give.

The food downstairs was great again too!!!  Love that Paella.

Looking forward to next year and I still reckon we could arrange lanyards for prepurchase tix with our usernames on it. I am sure we all walk past many many members on the day we have engaged in conversations both jocular and robust that we have no idea of their appearance (or maybe thats a good thing too LOL)

• Like 5

Well, Im thoroughly Pissed Off! :angry:

I spent several hours today doing a detailed rundown of my show experience and managed to lose the lot as I was getting close to the end.  What happened was that I diverted to look at a PM and when I came back to the post I was doing it had restored my content from several hours previously, when I was beginning.  I panicked and stupidly cleared the editor, hoping it would revert to the later content, but of course it just cleared it completely!

I'm guessing it's not recoverable now? 

Edited by Tony M
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tony M said:

Well, Im thoroughly Pissed Off! :angry:

I spent several hours today doing a detailed rundown of my show experience and managed to lose the lot as I was getting close to the end.  What happened was that I diverted to look at a PM and when I came back to the post I was doing it had restored my content from several hours previously, when I was beginning.  I panicked and stupidly cleared the editor, hoping it would revert to the later content, but of course it just cleared it completely!

I'm guessing it's not recoverable now? 

My condolences on your post. Great photos though!

@Tony M, it's cold comfort now, but I have a friend who always(!!!) composes messages in a word editor before posting.

That could be a future solution for this issue.

FWIW, his main reason is to utilise the spelling corrector, with which he has a genuine problem recognising spelling errors.

I have had some time to reflect, and, see other people's comments.

I wonder it the difference between this year and last might have been that this year it might have been a bit more relaxed?

In fact, relaxed and friendly might be my assessment of the show.

What do you guys think?

Bruce

Guest Muon N'
1 hour ago, RankStranger said:

My condolences on your post. Great photos though!

They don't show for me, just invisible bullet points kind off, only know they are there when highlighting the blank space.

@Tony M, that would be bloody frustrating.

It is rarely mentioned here, I was also impressed with Dali Epicon 6, they were using acoustic arts amplification, anyone sharing same experience with this speaker?
Yes, I think I mentioned it in my post in regards to the audioquest stand. The speaker cables connected to them is 4 times the price of the speakers themselves.

9 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

They don't show for me, just invisible bullet points kind off, only know they are there when highlighting the blank space.

@Tony M, that would be bloody frustrating.

I deleted them due to lack of context, but I'm working on recreating the post because i feel a weird compulsion to do so.  Should be finished by midnight!;)  Interest in the show might have waned by then and nobody will bother to read it, but you gotta do what you gotta do. 

• Like 4

A few more random comments & observations.

Noticed quite a few rooms used power conditioners but did not see any of them who connected their power amplifiers into those conditioners.

Guess that confirms the suspicion I had that power conditioners are not good for power amps.

Really liked making regular visits to the Yamaha room.

Good room.

To the best of my knowledge they just keep playing that Fleetwood Mac album.

Loved just sitting down and being transported back to the past with all its happy memories!

Everyone who could play my CDs did.

The guy from one room explained to me how some people's demo tracks are just room clearers, and some are ultra extreme room clearers.

Like the guy who wanted his test tones played!!!

I waited until the room was empty before asking them to play my tracks.

Never had any problems.

Everyone was happy to help me out.

Hey, some people remembered me from last year by my test tracks!!!

Don't know why any one would drive except on the Sunday.

Last year I stayed at the hotel for the entire show and had discounted parking at the hotel.

This year just travelled by tram.

Quite relaxing!

Another interesting observation was regarding room treatments.

Some rooms had zero room treatment and others almost made a second small room with their room treatment!

Yes, it is amazing what you see at HiFi shows!

Bruce

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Yeah, now I’m hanging on in anticipation.  It better be good @Tony M...

Edit:  oops, shouldn’t have tagged him, he could lose his post again...

Well, given that my reservations about one particular speaker were probably due to over-hyped expectations, I've very likely done the same thing to myself.  But i definitely didn't want the drama and hassle.

My post (if it ever happens) will be for my own satisfaction in having my say and putting some appreciation on record.  If anyone reads it, that'll be a bonus and I'll be rapt.:thumb:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tony M said:

Well, given that my reservations about one particular speaker were probably due to over-hyped expectations, I've very likely done the same thing to myself.  But i definitely didn't want the drama and hassle.

My post (if it ever happens) will be for my own satisfaction in having my say and putting some appreciation on record.  If anyone reads it, that'll be a bonus and I'll be rapt.:thumb:

8 minutes ago, Tony M said:

Geez, you posted that one twice. You’re all over the shop! :D 

1 hour ago, BruceS said:

A few more random comments & observations.

Noticed quite a few rooms used power conditioners but did not see any of them who connected their power amplifiers into those conditioners.

Guess that confirms the suspicion I had that power conditioners are not good for power amps.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Interesting observation, while not a conditioner I have a PS Audio P10 Power Regenerator, I have found it very much improves SQ when supplying power for various Tube amps I have had, as well as the Music Fidelity 550K Superchargers, but when used with the Technical Brain TB-Zero integrated it makes it sound very ordinary.

I will later this week try it with the new Heschl HAL350, my quess is given the massive size and quality of the transformer in that amp it more than likely will be a step down down in SQ as well, time will tell.

While old Zaphod Beeblebox had no time for power conditioners and or regenerators, nor aftermarket cables for that matter, he did on occasion say that a regenerator could make a improvement with tube amps and he was correct.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

4 hours ago, aussievintage said:

bring it up to the Gold Coast.  Lovely big convention centre at Broadbeach!

No. You cant do that.

I've went over the border a few years back and...it's full of bloody Queenslanders.

Yup...hordes of the buggers everywhere you look.

Nope. Keep it in Bleak City where they know  potato cakes from a scallops

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Luc said:

No. You cant do that.

I've went over the border a few years back and...it's full of bloody Queenslanders.

Yup...hordes of the buggers everywhere you look.

Nope. Keep it in Bleak City where they know  potato cakes from a scallops

Potato cakes my arse! ... they are Potato fritters, once again us Kiwi’s have to educate you poor convict class. ... :angel:

regards 

Terrence.

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1

See...   the above poster is a damned hybrid .......Kiwi crossed over a banana muncher...oh dear, what have they done!

Imagine room after room filled up with a bunch them eh...oh the horror the horror  ( apols to Conrad)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Luc said:

See...   the above poster is a damned hybrid .......Kiwi crossed over a banana muncher...oh dear, what have they done!

Imagine room after room filled up with a bunch them eh...oh the horror the horror  ( apols to Conrad)

:thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :lol:

Andy

PS:  Not sure the younger SNAers will get your literary/filmic reference, L!  :lol: