2019 Stereonet Melbourne Hi-Fi Show - Reports & Feedback

I was at the show, and it was great, well done to @Marc and his merry band of helpers. I personally did not enjoy this years as much as previous but I believe there are personal reasons, not a fault of the show or exhibitors.

1- Expectations increase every year

2- My personal mood/mental space was not as positive as previous years so that's my fault

3- We grow accustomed to the show format (and hearing mega $$$ systems) so it's harder for exhibitors to blow our minds

General thoughts but not criticisms;

I thought the M8 speakers were an absolute delight and sounded much bigger than they were with well matched electronics

I should have spent more time in the Wing room, I was show'ed out by then and looking to get home but those things pack a punch.

Kii sounded excellent but bass was a little lacking in extension. This is something I've experienced before with DSP systems as our minds expect an artificial boost in bass. ATC's sounded fuller and sweeter to my ears.

Luxman/Vienna room had particularly thin sound when I was there compared to most others, but again they had no room treatment at all. Linn room also sounded somewhat thin.

Kharma sounded fantastic but what would you expect. Music was also esoteric and not to my taste.

Very impressed by the LS50W... when they stopped playing overly loud EDM. I'm a fan of EDM but it doesn't tell you much about how a speaker sounds. Tough room too with glass walls and only a divider to the B&W room

B&W 800's were so effortless and the foundation actives were VERY impressive.

Lenehan/Heschel (sp?) room sounded delightful but playing at low volume and Diana Krall'esque music when ever I popped my head in.

Osborn Epitome (non towers) were playing when I was in the room and had the most exaggerated/bloated bass of the show. I haven't found this in previous years so not sure if it was room set up or design changes.

Avantguard Trios. Wow, that is amazing dynamics and beautiful overall sound.

Wyndham Audio and @Grizzly's speakers sounded first notch.

• Like 2

I have to give a plug for the Harbeth speakers powered by some D class amps retailing at $1900 each channel. I kept going back.

Extremely musical and natural with great flow.

also liked the Audio Influence room with the Acoustique Quality floorstanders from the Czech Republic

$2500 buys a lot of sound!

And the Acoustic Energy room - total cost $4,600 including amp and source I could easily live with.

what about kef LS50 - do you want active or passive? What colour? $3,500 max

I am staggered how much sound you can buy for small dollars these days !!

Hi Fi is in great shape if you ask me.

• Like 3

I enjoyed my visit to the show, the opportunity to see and experience systems and components that I will probably never see any where else and to meet people.  The highlight were the ATC speakers.  Lovely.  The wings speakers were intriguing.

Thanks to @Marc and the Stereonet crew for the organistion of the show plus the commitment of the exhibitors to participate despite the logistics of rooms etc.  I do hope that there will be a show in Melbourne next year.

It is not surprising to me  that there are variations in perceptions for and against about the show matters  that have been expressed in the posts in this thread.  I do wonder though did some posters hear what I heard.  This thread to me is a microcosm representation of many threads on SNA.  We all hear and listen differently and form different opinions of what is pleasing or what is not so pleasing to each of us as individuals.  All this thread needs now are requests for tests and measurements to justify the things said.  Then it can be moved to the “Great Audio Debate”.  The cycle will then be complete.

John

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Assisi said:

I enjoyed my visit to the show, the opportunity to see and experience systems and components that I will probably never see any where else and to meet people.  The highlight were the ATC speakers.  Lovely.  The wings speakers were intriguing.

Thanks to @Marc and the Stereonet crew for the organistion of the show plus the commitment of the exhibitors to participate despite the logistics of rooms etc.  I do hope that there will be a show in Melbourne next year.

It is not surprising to me  that there are variations in perceptions for and against about the show matters  that have been expressed in the posts in this thread.  I do wonder though did some posters hear what I heard.  This thread to me is a microcosm representation of many threads on SNA.  We all hear and listen differently and form different opinions of what is pleasing or what is not so pleasing to each of us as individuals.  All this thread needs now are requests for tests and measurements to justify the things said.  Then it can be moved to the “Great Audio Debate”.  The cycle will then be complete.

I'm not so sure. I've been reading all the comments on this thread and I see far more convergence of opinion on what sounded good on the day. No one's going to demand measurements here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sleach said:

Does anyone else come home after and immediately play all the tracks they shazzamed while listening at the show to see how their system stacks up? 

Or maybe just me.

I did. As I mentioned in another thread, I was using the show as a benchmark for what my system sounded. And happy with what I have...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kaynin said:

I, for one, had an awesome time.  I didn’t enjoy everything, but that’s personal taste.  I’d prefer it stay in Melbs.  I could only see me heading to Sydney if the locals put on GTG’s and dinners like here - not sure they’re up to the task...  ?

Melbourne -Audio wise is correct being the first choice for any "Hi End" show

-- forget Sydney I mistakenly attended that earlier Show put on that nutjob mob from the UK- meh!?

Brisbane?--hmm maybe if the economy improves could be worth a punt.

Kudos to SNA though for putting all on the line for a Show !?

Willco

• Like 2

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the Lenehan ML1 Reference...they sounded bloody amazing!

Had a blast on Saturday, starting at 10am and finishing at about 4pm....so much good stuff!

My favs were...

• The Audio Marketing room. The Serhan + Swift Brigadier Mu.2 bookshelf speaker partnered with Musical Fidelity gear. Tiny speakers with a massive and clear sound, these are probably my fav's of the whole show. They also had some Stax headphones that sounded great :)
  • The new Richter Merlin S6 bookshelf sounded great for $1k. I hadn't heard anything from them before so was really impressed and would definitely consider them at that price range.
  • The new Acoustic Energy gear, partnered with Creek, looked good and was also great value for money. So many good bookshelves!
  • The Kef LSX/LS50 were fantastic (this is the first time I've heard them). I was really impressed with the sound given how easy they are to setup and use, as well as how good they looked. Imaging from the coax driver really impressed me.
  • The Wisdom Audio room. Over $100k worth of home theatre gear. The sound was great, but the vision from the Barco Bragi was just incredible. I didn't get why anyone would spend more than a couple of grand on a projector until I saw this. Just mind blowing!
  • I REALLY liked the Yamaha setup by CAV. It brought back memories of a pair of JBL TLX18's my brother used to owned - good impact without the hard midrange a lot of speakers chasing a similar dynamic seem to present. Plus, the whole setup looked fantastic.

There were a few other rooms that sounded great but seemed either more interested in talking to individuals than demonstrating the gear, or the music wasn't to my taste.

Edited by nedrum

I think criticism can be a good thing if justified or results in a better show next year.. 

I for one after reading this thread think the show should be called the Melbourne loudspeaker show as electronics hardly get a mention.. 

Highlights for me where the Maggies and the NuPrime amps and DACs behind them, also the way the demonstrator would play 1 min of a variety of different music to demo them, very well done. 

I am seriously looking into NuPrime for my Ambiences, or a Music Fidelity M5si

Also the Serhan Swift bookshelves running off Music Fidelity gear and Inakustik cables.. What huge sound. $70k for a turntable??? 

Very disappointed in the Osborn speakers, went in there twice and I think that Titan bookshelves where playing both times (Dire Straits) and they sounded very thin and unengaging. 

The Wave speakers, keeping an eye/ear on those.. 

March amps, seem to be very good value for money 

Good show, I enjoyed it

Got a park in the street.. 

20191020_143324.jpg

20191020_132507.jpg

20191020_130410.jpg

20191020_122332.jpg

20191020_131138.jpg

Edited by Hytram
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, sleach said:

Does anyone else come home after and immediately play all the tracks they shazzamed while listening at the show to see how their system stacks up? 

Or maybe just me.

Did the same. Felt better knowing my modest system stacks up favourably, although not up to the sound many show set ups might be able to create in my home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, at68 said:

I have to give a plug for the Harbeth speakers powered by some D class amps retailing at $1900 each channel. I kept going back.

A rather laid back sound, I wouldn't say it blew me away, but a large part of me could definitely sink into a good comfy chair and Scotch and waste a few hours 

Maybe that's what a lot of us need.. 

https://www.marchaudio.net.au

Has a 2 week money back policy.. Makes it tempting to demo

20191020_130410.jpg

I really enjoyed the show but maybe consider the following for future years...

To the exhibitors - perhaps try to take some control of your demonstrations. Linn did this quite well. They talked about what they were going to play. Then let it play for a few minutes then faded it out rather than just turning it off (much nicer) and then discussed their equipment. They took questions and made the room feel comfortable.

If you're going to have 2 or more rows of chairs make the 2nd row stools so as to sit higher than those in front.  One of the exhibitors did this and it was much better.

Take control of the setting and keep the room quite of discussion while running a demonstration. THEN when the track stops let people have a quick chat ask questions etc then go again with a quiet room.  Maybe have someone on the door to advise people to be quiet on entering.. oh and if you have a squeaky door then oil it.

Be mindful of your neighbours. YAMAHA you were obnoxious...

Best in show for a few reasons was Kii Audio. Not cheap at circa $50,000 but they played appropriate music at appropriate levels. They were genuinely enthusiastic but not pompous about their product.  Interesting and i think well considered industrial design. Not exactly beautiful but certainly interesting to look at and a relatively small footprint  would make them easy to place in a home. Maybe the best tweeter i've ever heard (but again great material chosen). 

2nd place for me was WING audio. Those little speakers were really quite impressive and i can't wait to see where they go in the market. They have headphones coming next year too. 

3rd Those acoustic energy 2 way bookshelf speakers. What an entertaining little instrument. Very detailed and not doing more than they should. Just a fun lively and transparent speaker.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I did. As I mentioned in another thread, I was using the show as a benchmark for what my system sounded. And happy with what I have...

I agree. I'm very happy with what i listen to at home. I'd have to spend a lot more to get significant improvements... It's great to seen new and innovative products though and wonder what the future for audio will look like.

3 hours ago, candyflip said:

Haven't heard anyone else mention it yet?

How was it for everyone this year?

12.28pm on Commercial Road, Prahran, trying to head West towards the Show, for the second time.

The traffic had been like this for 90 minutes beforehand.

As soon as the cops got through the middle, the traffic all closed in again and we stared at bumpers for another half hour.

I gave up at this point.   ?

My fault of course - should have planned it better and come in thru the city (as the wife suggested) or from the West, or even south through St.Kilda.
But when you are in Bulleen, you always try the short route from the East first.

One of the exhibitors mentioned that the houses for the Block were being opened for the first time just around the corner, by way of explanation for the extra traffic and lack of parking. This was Sunday so not sure if it applied to both days

28 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

One of the exhibitors mentioned that the houses for the Block were being opened for the first time just around the corner, by way of explanation for the extra traffic and lack of parking. This was Sunday so not sure if it applied to both days

No it was planned works by the government. Major road closures included High St and restricted flows all around sth yarra and Prahran including Commercial Rd. So everyone was scrambling to find ways through. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Misterioso said:

Anyone able to share a picture of the ATCs in action?

2455555B-45F2-4440-97FB-52FB73511CFE.jpeg.99d6921b35c9e42822fcb5e8d365e12c.jpeg97A3E642-9F4D-4BB9-88A6-1B6BBF87508B.jpeg.1013bc9fbb829fb2676b1bedd2f0bc37.jpeg

Not the best angle but this is pretty much what they looked like from where I was standing

Disclaimer: I didn’t see them with the door open but I’m pretty sure it’s how they would’ve looked

Edited by RankStranger
  • Like 5
  • Haha 5

I went on the Saturday and had a ball. My highlights were the Serhan Swift speakers and Musical fidelity gear. I had a great chat with the designer who was kind enough to explain his approach in detail.

Other highlights were the Polk speakers. I thought their soundscape was more impressive even than the Kii which themselves were excellent. The Polk system also had phenomenal bass. The Linn room was good, and I'd agree with others that the method of presentation was good, also with interesting selections. I'd also mention the Avantgarde system.

One suggestion: many systems didn't seem to have allowed for streaming. I was there when fewer people were around and while the presenters were keen to help, not many seemed able to pull up tracks.

All in all, a great show. Thanks for all the hard work.

• Like 1

Not being able to make it across the country - again ☹️, I would like to thank all who have contributed to this thread. It has given me a real sense of being there, especially with those great pics (special mention to @theking in that regard).

Really interesting to read the different impressions of the same gear from different members. It is a great example of why we have different designers and manufacturers to cater for all our diversified tastes.

I am already googling some of the gear mentioned and learning more.

Also good to see that comments of the show in general were overwhelmingly positive after the few negatives early in the thread. As the saying goes, you can please some of the people some of the time but....

And as Jon said, kudos to @Marc for the one-handed effort. Hope that hand and wrist is improving mate.

• Like 5

This was the first room I started in, and I planned to take more photos, but ended up just concentrating on the systems and music and not taking any more, but others have already shown pics of this crazy setup.

MVIMG_20191020_130013.thumb.jpg.2b6f2deff23f577b6b00e41177c8f8b4.jpg