Sign in to follow this  
aussievintage

The insidious vinyl misting problem

18 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Only gone through about 40 albums so far. Not hurrying. Don't hurry anymore. Anyway, came across my first album where the outer plastic cover was stuck to the Cardboard  sleeve. Manhandled the Record out of the PVC sleeve and sure enough, Stuffed. Thank god I don't listen to Earl Klugh that much anymore. One stuffed Finger Paintings.

I was lucky that I only had a bout 40 out of 3500 in these sleeves.  I was able to scan along the shelf and find them easily as they look so different.

21 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Anyway, came across my first album where the outer plastic cover was stuck to the Cardboard  sleeve.

Hey, just a thought.  Did you check the albums to each side of this one on your shelf, especially if they were not in a plastic outer sleeve, to see if any 'leaked' over?

34 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Hey, just a thought.  Did you check the albums to each side of this one on your shelf, especially if they were not in a plastic outer sleeve, to see if any 'leaked' over?

Yeah mate. The other's either side are ok. Dave Grusin and Lee Ritenour.

Judging by the 'haze' patterns on my effected records, I have to disagree with this.....from my experience, the haze patterns always matched the patterns of the creases on the outer sleeve.

Though I suppose some inners that were made of a differing material to the norm at the time, could well have had the same 'hazing' effect as the poly outers.....

2 hours ago, stevoz said:

Judging by the 'haze' patterns on my effected records, I have to disagree with this.....from my experience, the haze patterns always matched the patterns of the creases on the outer sleeve.

Though I suppose some inners that were made of a differing material to the norm at the time, could well have had the same 'hazing' effect as the poly outers.....

The inners could certainly have some affect on the patterning, even when the source  of the contaminant was the outer sleeve.

@aussievintage @stevoz I remembered about 3AM this morning that One of my Ry Cooder albums went bad a few years ago. Never played it again it was soo bad. Had me stumped. I'll check it out this morning and get back to you. Hopefully it hasnt taken the other Ry Cooders out. 

Yes, Boomer's Story finished. Luckily my other Ry Cooders are ok.

Edited by Wimbo

Once again, I've seen this happen on albums where they had spent their entire life in zip lock bags made of an entirely different material. They were the softer less clear plastic. So, the pvc outers in question aren't the common denominator in this issue, it happens elsewhere as well.

37 minutes ago, t_mike said:

Once again, I've seen this happen on albums where they had spent their entire life in zip lock bags made of an entirely different material. They were the softer less clear plastic. So, the pvc outers in question aren't the common denominator in this issue, it happens elsewhere as well.

They still could be the common denominator for someone who never uses zip-lock bags.  i.e. more than one type of plastic can cause the problem.

12 hours ago, t_mike said:

Not taking the chance. 3 LP's so far are stuffed and all were in PVC outer. I also checked all the soft plastics ones I have and no problems there.

Point is. I've looked after albums for over 50 years and don't want to lose any. Simple decision. Also gives me a bit more room.

22 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Not taking the chance. 3 LP's so far are stuffed and all were in PVC outer.

There it is again.   Can't be just coincidence.

I am not taking any chances either.

IMO, it is definitely the stiff PVC outers. Now they could well be reacting with the inners and the LP itself as well (maybe)....but .once the PVC outers are gone, problem seems to be solved.👍

Whatever it is, the clear PVC outers need to go!

Edited by stevoz

I'm by no means against getting rid of the pvc outers, in the least they destroy the clear laminate coating that many covers have, not to mention going stiff and brittle, breaking up and risking damage to covers as you slide them in and out of shelves. What I am saying is don't expect it to be the absolute end to the issue. Be vigilant, get those discs out of their covers and let them air. This problem seems to have reared it's ugly head in the vinyl storage era after cd took over. When we regularly uncovered and aired our vinyl, it didn't seem to be around.

Just now, t_mike said:

I'm by no means against getting rid of the pvc outers, in the least they destroy the clear laminate coating that many covers have, not to mention going stiff and brittle, breaking up and risking damage to covers as you slide them in and out of shelves. What I am saying is don't expect it to be the absolute end to the issue. Be vigilant, get those discs out of their covers and let them air. This problem seems to have reared it's ugly head in the vinyl storage era after cd took over. When we regularly uncovered and aired our vinyl, it didn't seem to be around.

Quite a job for me with close on 4000 of the buggers :)

15 minutes ago, t_mike said:

You make a very good point there. Mine had been in storage for around 25 years before I dragged them out around four years ago to enjoy again (and air).....and started to discover misty LP's.

Edited by stevoz

12 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Quite a job for me with close on 4000 of the buggers :)

Well, you've made your own bed there....now air it out!!😄

I bought a 2117 pressing of Monk Misterioso from JB 2 days ago. The album was in completely undamaged shrink wrap. Looking under led light it has the start of misting on the run out of both sides. I highly doubt this disc has ever been anywhere near a pvc cover. It plays silently and the misting is not visible under natural light.

1 hour ago, t_mike said:

I bought a 2117 pressing of Monk Misterioso from JB 2 days ago. The album was in completely undamaged shrink wrap. Looking under led light it has the start of misting on the run out of both sides. I highly doubt this disc has ever been anywhere near a pvc cover. It plays silently and the misting is not visible under natural light.

Maybe it's not the same thing.  and/or maybe they re-shrinkwrapped it.

l have just started listening to vinyl after many years and noticed what you speak of on one of my records. This has been invaluable information and will immediately change the sleeves and hopefully be able to clean it.

Thanks aussievintage.

2 minutes ago, Mr Frisbee said:

l have just started listening to vinyl after many years and noticed what you speak of on one of my records. This has been invaluable information and will immediately change the sleeves and hopefully be able to clean it.

Thanks aussievintage.

No probs.  Unfortunately, I don't think you will be able to clean it.  I think I have noticed that if it is only lightly contaminated, it will improve with a couple of playings.

Looks interesting with products easily available in Aus.

1 hour ago, The Blues said:

Looks interesting with products easily available in Aus.

When this video was first around I was dubious, but the positive comments over the last 3 years have piqued my interest again. Though I still think a few of those responses are only considering aesthetics. I'd certainly be cleaning well afterwards, craft glue even.

It like to test it but I only have one record retained that is affected and it's fairly precious to me, plus that Meguirs PlastX is around $30 per bottle.

P

Edited by zenikoy

I think someone has put this up before....evoking howls of 'what the?!'. We'll see what happens this time.

I have a few misted LP's but can't bring myself to try this.🙂

I've never seen this video nor the howls.

I have loads of records with the problem. 

The general consensus seems to be that it is unrepairable. 

If a record is ruined due to the whooshing sound caused by misting what's the harm? 

19 minutes ago, The Blues said:

what's the harm

There is a whooshing sound 🙄. I have a few records with misting and luckily all sound as good as new, and unfortunately there is no common factor as to the actual cause that I can identify.

Edited by awayward

I am becoming convinced that they improve with playing.  If the misting is light, it often is only heard between tracks, so the record can be deemed "playable".  I have a couple like this I have played a few times, and as I said, I think they are improving.  

Of course you have to halt the cause, and I give them new inner sleeves and outer sleeves especially, as there is a strong correlation with the particular type of cover I mentioned at the start, and also higher temperatures and age.