The insidious vinyl misting problem

Just now, Hydrology said:

When I get paper/poly lined sleeves with records,first thing I do is put them in the recycling bin.

Indeed, however I do still keep some of the older ones in the outer sleeve if they're interesting enough.  I've got a good one with a skull and crossbones on it from the 80's that says "Home taping is killing music".

Perhaps they were right. 30 years later we ended up with Beyoncé.

11 hours ago, Hydrology said:

When I get paper/poly lined sleeves with records,first thing I do is put them in the recycling bin.

Why? Paper/poly lined are head and shoulders above anything else. The poly inside means there's nothing to scratch the record and the paper outer makes the sleeve stiff enough to slide in and out of an outer sleeve hundreds and thousands of times without scrunching up or jamming. The combination of paper and poly also keeps static to a minimum I find when sliding the record out. I'm interested why you would throw something perfect out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hergest said:

Why? Paper/poly lined are head and shoulders above anything else. The poly inside means there's nothing to scratch the record and the paper outer makes the sleeve stiff enough to slide in and out of an outer sleeve hundreds and thousands of times without scrunching up or jamming. The combination of paper and poly also keeps static to a minimum I find when sliding the record out. I'm interested why you would throw something perfect out.

I'm not quite sure why scrunching up with sleeves like MoFi is a problem for some? It certainly isn't for me. And just for transparency I buy and use MoFi-style sleeves (buy in bulk).

Also, after cleaning a record (which I do without fail BEFORE I play any record for the first time), why would I put it back into the paper/poly sleeve it came in?

56 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

I'm not quite sure why scrunching up with sleeves like MoFi is a problem for some? It certainly isn't for me. And just for transparency I buy and use MoFi-style sleeves (buy in bulk).

Also, after cleaning a record (which I do without fail BEFORE I play any record for the first time), why would I put it back into the paper/poly sleeve it came in?

But that doesn't explain why you throw out excellent paper/poly sleeves.

This shows the problem with MOFI sleeves. With a MOFI record you slide out the inner foldable cardboard and then place the rice paper sleeve inside that then reinsert which works but is rather convoluted.  With a standard outer sleeve where you slide the MOFI inner ihere is no strength whatsoever in the corners of the MOFI like there is with paper/poly to prevent them folding over, getting jammed and all scrunched up. A right royal pain and one you pay a premium for. 

1884849079_Mofisleeve2.jpeg.ed28b6c76d57abe7671e6e6c3a799449.jpeg

1412776886_Mofisleeve1.jpeg.20bc0ddee301d1aea1f9ac97699671bc.jpeg

Edited by Hergest
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hergest said:

But that doesn't explain why you throw out excellent paper/poly sleeves.

This shows the problem with MOFI sleeves. With a MOFI record you slide out the inner foldable cardboard and then place the rice paper sleeve inside that then reinsert. There is no strength whatsoever in the corners of the MOFI like there is with paper/poly to prevent them folding over, getting jammed and all scrunched up. A right royal pain and one you pay a premium for. 

1884849079_Mofisleeve2.jpeg.ed28b6c76d57abe7671e6e6c3a799449.jpeg

1412776886_Mofisleeve1.jpeg.20bc0ddee301d1aea1f9ac97699671bc.jpeg

I already did explain - I clean ALL records prior to first play, I am not going to put a cleaned record (cleaned using both a Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic and a KLAudio US Cleaner) back into ANY supplied sleeve. I don't even re-use the MoFi inners when I purchase their records. 

My collection has cost me a considerable amount of money (and effort) - excessive but Im not prepared to compromise. While I can appreciate that some have issues, I don't have any of the creasing issues as per your photos above, but then I'm slow and methodical (remember - expense?) when handling my (and others) vinyl.

I'm happy to hold onto any paper/poly liners and ship them to you as I accrue them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hydrology said:

I already did explain - I clean ALL records prior to first play, I am not going to put a cleaned record (cleaned using both a Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic and a KLAudio US Cleaner) back into ANY supplied sleeve. I don't even re-use the MoFi inners when I purchase their records. 

My collection has cost me a considerable amount of money (and effort) - excessive but Im not prepared to compromise. While I can appreciate that some have issues, I don't have any of the creasing issues as per your photos above, but then I'm slow and methodical (remember - expense?) when handling my (and others) vinyl.

I'm happy to hold onto any paper/poly liners and ship them to you as I accrue them?

Fair enough. I clean all mine first too with a Loricraft vacuum but to then faff about with overpriced MOFI sleeves is something I'd rather not do. I am careful with my records and have been since I bought my first one in 1976 but the messing about trying to get a MOFI sleeve into a standard outer sleeve isn't something I'm interested in especially as I believe the paper/poly sleeves are the best in the business. The problems with the batch of MOFI sleeves falling apart a few years ago is something best avoided too.

9 minutes ago, Hergest said:

Fair enough. I clean all mine first too with a Loricraft vacuum but to then faff about with overpriced MOFI sleeves is something I'd rather not do. I am careful with my records and have been since I bought my first one in 1976 but the messing about trying to get a MOFI sleeve into a standard outer sleeve isn't something I'm interested in especially as I believe the paper/poly sleeves are the best in the business. The problems with the batch of MOFI sleeves falling apart a few years ago is something best avoided too.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot force him to drink.

Can't say in buying 6000+ albums over the years, reusing the poly or paper/poly have never caused one issue.    Paper sleeves, throw them out.

Like you, I luv the covers33 polylined paper sleeves. Each corner is cut, making for even easier insertion and withdrawal. 

Personally, I throw any mofi inner into the bin as soon as I get them.

Mofi has great advertising clearly. ?

First World problems abound.

57 minutes ago, metal beat said:

You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot force him to drink.

So by that comment someone is right and someone is wrong in this thread? Interesting how even something as simple as a discussion about record sleeves can turn into a "my dog is blacker than your dog" charade.

I don't buy MoFi either by the way. I buy "MoFi-like". There is a difference. Price.

Anyway, I'll exit stage left now and create a thread entitled "Why MoFi inner sleeves ROCK" and the mods can modify the title of this one to "Why MoFi inner sleeves SUCK".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hergest said:

My comments, for what they're worth -

1) I'd never reuse an old sleeve after I'd vaccuum washed and ultrasonically cleaned a record.

2) Scrunching is not an issue if you store your records/inner sleeves outside of your outer sleeve (which is the preferred way)

3) Why keep old manky sleeves around? Throw them out.

I'll give you a fourth reason (which I know is more to do with my OCD than anything else) - I like to standardise. Every single record in my collection uses a Blake outer and a Mofi inner. Having them all exactly the same is important to us OCD types. Others may not care, of course.

I'm not really keen on a debate for what sleeve works for each person (it'll end up a pissing contest) - so if you're happy with what you use then that's great. Personally I like the mofi's for several reasons, and I do  believe that they offer the lowest friction of any type of sleeve (at least that I've personally used).

Second to the Mofi's would be those poly lined cardboard sleeves - but when you have a massive collection, that extra thickness adds up.

Dunno why such stupid topics cause so much tribalism amongst people.

Edited by Guest

30 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

So by that comment someone is right and someone is wrong in this thread? Interesting how even something as simple as a discussion about record sleeves can turn into a "my dog is blacker than your dog" charade.

You got a black dog? Damn you I'm going to go and buy a blacker one.

I hope your dog's leash has been cryogenically frozen. If not, it won't work as well as mine.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, TDK said:

Dunno why such stupid topics cause so much tribalism amongst people.

Well I don't believe it's tribalism or a pissing contest as we all have our favourites and in a case such as yours where you store the record outside of the sleeve then the scrunching issue is moot. The thing that bugs me which is why I tend to comment on threads such as these is that this forum is great for newcomers asking questions as there's so much disinformation and plain rubbish spouted about the subject of vinyl, and more often than not when people ask about sleeves MOFI is often repeated as if it's some kind of holy grail when for some of us it most certainly isn't. Often those that recommend them have little experience. MOFI have fantastic marketing over the years that I think is completely undeserved when you consider the price asked, whether it's their records or their sleeves. None of their products I find to be poor but none of them have I ever found to be worth their price or reputation.

I know this has got bugger all to do with the insidious vinyl misting problem especially as that's an outer and not inner sleeve issue but I wanted to spout my opinion as this is the internet.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Hydrology said:

So based on the above, you throw all newly purchased record inners in the bin then? So you haven't got anything in particular against poly lined paper inners? Which is, I believe, why people were asking.....?  Because all you said in your original post was "When I get paper/poly lined sleeves with records,first thing I do is put them in the recycling bin." Not a word there regarding cleaning LP's first.....?

Edited by stevoz
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevoz said:

So based on the above, you throw all newly purchased record inners in the bin then? THE RECYCLE BIN, YES.

So you haven't got anything in particular against poly lined paper inners?  NO - IT WOULD BE A SAD LIFE IF I HAD ANYTHING AGAINST AN INANIMATE OBJECT.

Which is, I believe, why people were asking.....?  Because all you said in your original post was "When I get paper/poly lined sleeves with records,first thing I do is put them in the recycling bin." Not a word there regarding cleaning LP's first.....? I WOULD THINK ITS A GIVEN THAT A LOT OF VINYL USERS ON HERE CLEAN THEIR VINYL IN SOME CAPACITY. 

1 hour ago, stevoz said:

So based on the above, you throw all newly purchased record inners in the bin then? THE RECYCLE BIN, YES.

So you haven't got anything in particular against poly lined paper inners?  NO - IT WOULD BE A SAD LIFE IF I HAD ANYTHING AGAINST AN INANIMATE OBJECT.

Which is, I believe, why people were asking.....?  Because all you said in your original post was "When I get paper/poly lined sleeves with records,first thing I do is put them in the recycling bin." Not a word there regarding cleaning LP's first.....? I WOULD THINK ITS A GIVEN THAT A LOT OF VINYL USERS ON HERE CLEAN THEIR VINYL IN SOME CAPACITY. 

I should say that in my case its probably a "better the devil you know". Ive never come across a MoFi or MoFi-type sleeve that has scratched a record. I have seen scratched records (my own new purchases and other records given by people to clean) inside paper/poly sleeves. Can I prove with 100% certainty it was the choice of sleeve? No, hence why I choose to stick with my decision and use the MoFi style sleeve. I couldn't care less what everyone else chooses to use, hey, whatever works for you right?

I love the MoFi sleeves.

My carefactor for “scrunching” - 0% f***s given... I can’t hear a “scrunched” sleeve on an immaculate record during playback... even with a pretty decent system (I suppose I could scrunch it next to my ear during playback, whinge and throw the LP away?). I can’t hear the dinged corners on a rare sealed record that got me $100 discount on it either.

Being anal retentive autistic person, I can also buy an infinite amount of MoFi sleeves so every record is stored in the same sleeve... but that part only applies to.. oh wait... audiophiles...

Edited by furtherpale
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Whoa there....My questions were asked seriously, not sarcastically. I think my post was misunderstood. Maybe I could have structured it better.

It appeared you had something against paper/poly liners from your first post (where you said the first thing you do is chuck them in the bin)......it now appears not and that's cool.

Edited by stevoz