Nitin Sawhney 20th Oct Melb Arts Festival

agree.. son understand it, the entire row in front of me was empty... still as far back as i was ... one row before the last in the stalls... i was suprised how good even that was. hamer hall is an excellent venue.  great to hear you enjoyed it kensell. [emoji4] 

Didn’t realise Hamer Hall was dug so far underground.. Interesting idea.. Probably need have pumps going all year round for any water issues they might have.

8 hours ago, betty boop said:

agree.. dont understand it, the entire row in front of me was empty... still as far back as i was ... one row before the last in the stalls... i was suprised how good even that was. hamer hall is an excellent venue.  great to hear you enjoyed it kensell. :) 

Damn, you could have had my tickets 7 rows from the front!

So glad it was as good as it promised to be.

Back to the records......  ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, betty boop said:

WOW ! am so glad was able to find out on this last minute and get to,

came back just earlier...

some might know i am really into nitin sawhney's music, to point the signature i have used on forums some nearly 15 years comes from Nitin's 2nd album Prophesy.

loved the start of the show with the rendition of sunset the opening track from that album.

It was wonderfull to hear the enchanting voice of nicki wells. how versatile and talented to cover so many genre's of singing.  and then  Eva stone ...goodness, i have not come across her before but what a pocket rocket this one is. And the violinist in ana Phoebe. pure amazing such energy ! I've known nitin too as mainly as a composer but didnt realise how talented he was in so many styles of guitar to piano and keyboard and singing. great little duo he did with the Tabla player Aref Duresh... funny how nitin nearly forgot about that one and had to be reminded hehe

There were some slightly new renditions of the tracks on the albums which i loved. couldn't believe some thought show was over and left at the end of the set, not realising nitin and troupe would of course return for an encore and what a return it was with deadman and prophesy that they did. absolutely loved prophesy done by both nitin on guitar and aref on tabla amazing what can be achieved with just a couple of instruments :) 

absolutely loved the show... great to revisit this classic 20 years old album and hear all of Nitin's on takes and background on each. couldn't help listening to some of the tracks in the car on way home and no doubt during the week will listen to more of his stuff

i'll have to explore some work of eva stone as well. :)

couple of great articles about nitin's tour and some back ground :) 

https://indaily.com.au/arts-and-culture/music/2019/10/18/ozasia-review-beyond-skin-revisited-nitin-sawhney/

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/music/i-don-t-feel-as-comfortable-nitin-sawhney-on-the-uk-s-racist-shift-20191016-p53164.html

Great summary mate. Really enjoyed the show. Nitin was so polished on the guitar and piano, as was the violinist and the 2 girls singing, WOW. Nicki Wells always amazes.  Aref was awesome on the tambla. I felt spoilt hearing Sunset live like that, what a start to the show.

Also surprised by so many empty seats when none showing online.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, candyflip said:

Nitin plays tonight in Melbourne at 8pm.

Two paper tickets available FREE as my wife has hurt her back this afternoon and we are unable to attend as planned.   :( 

Row H - super seats I secured back in early September.

If you can get to Bulleen to pick then up, they are yours.

OR I can put them in an UBER if you pay the driver?

Daaaaaaamn!! Just reading your post now!

Strange situation with the tickets.

I saw an article in the Age on Saturday Morning and bought the "best available" tickets.

B17/B16 almost the front row (Behind AA, BB etc).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kensell21 said:

Looking for a vinyl copy now.

Hi Rod

It sounds great on vinyl.

You should also listen to One Zero - a direct to disc live recording - 45 rpm best of collection spread over 5 lps ( also a double CD and DVD) - just amazing.

Cheers

Suresh

• Like 2

apart From one zero I have struggled to find good vinyl from Nitin, only have some scundgie versions :D

ironic as since was hearing a prophesy Lp at Carlton audio visual actually got me back into vinyl and discover Nitin Sawhney !

any good sources of new mint or near mint ?

Hi Rod

It sounds great on vinyl.

You should also listen to One Zero - a direct to disc live recording - 45 rpm best of collection spread over 5 lps ( also a double CD and DVD) - just amazing.

Cheers

Suresh

Darthlaker I believe has it as well. I believe he says it’s a bit expensive. But I’ve not looked for it yet. Hope I don’t have to be sitting down when I see how much. [emoji4]

On 24/10/2019 at 10:42 PM, Kensell21 said:

Yes well I just looked and yes in the past. Pity. Ultra expensive to get it from overseas!

Hi Rod

Let me know if you want to borrow them to have a listen to.

I think I have almost all of his albums on vinyl

Cheers

Suresh