Some more info, I have two sub-woofers positioned front and back and in the middle (2.5 metres) of each short wall (5 metres).

My mains are crossed over at 80Hz.

My thinking is if I place a bass trap that works reasonably well behind each main speaker that might not do much under 80Hz they should at least clean up some of the mess above 80Hz.

11 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Problem is treating just these 2 corners is just shy of $3,500 so id be expecting it to do wonders but unfortunately dont think i'll be able to return them if they do not work as expected. Im also wondering whether simply EQing would be a cheaper, more elegant solution.

Comments/suggestions?

Play around with this: https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc. You can even move around the room and see where your nulls/peaks are, this will help with placement and positioning and even tell you the amount of absorption you need.

I think people overestimate the amount of effect room treatment has on the FR response. Sometimes if the room ratios you're using is unfavourable there's not much all the treatment in the world can solve. EQ is much powerful tool in that regard, especially on the low end. And room treatment is used to fix issues that EQ cannot solve alone.

8GQO9SV.png

I added offsets to the measurements for easier visual comparison. First set = no eq, second set = REW + rePhase auto eq 20-400hz, third set = sonarworks, fourth set = REW + rePhase full range with house curve being slope at 500hz to -6dB at 24kHz.

1 hour ago, Satanica said:

Some more info, I have two sub-woofers positioned front and back and in the middle (2.5 metres) of each short wall (5 metres).

My mains are crossed over at 80Hz.

My thinking is if I place a bass trap that works reasonably well behind each main speaker that might not do much under 80Hz they should at least clean up some of the mess above 80Hz.

Sounds like you might be a good candidate for MSO also, just need a minidsp and run speakers full  range, wont help much with mess above 80Hz though.

2 hours ago, frednork said:

Sounds like you might be a good candidate for MSO also, just need a minidsp and run speakers full  range, wont help much with mess above 80Hz though.

Thanks for the suggestion, I do know of MSO. Right now I'm using both a DEQX and a miniDSP. 

4 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Thx. for the info, @Tony M would be proud if I ever resorted to additional bass reinforcement.

Speaking of @evil c wanna sell me back the REL? 🤣

From my cold dead hands !,😁

Hmmm how much $$$ ?? 🤔

You just need to stop swapping around possies and talking to people like @frednork ! 

Seriously demoed a few new products that might be of interest to you, stay tuned! 😉

9 hours ago, evil c said:

From my cold dead hands !,😁

Hmmm how much $$$ ?? 🤔

You just need to stop swapping around possies and talking to people like @frednork ! 

Seriously demoed a few new products that might be of interest to you, stay tuned! 😉

@evil c stop deflecting and lend him the sub at least!! and another one

13 hours ago, essencez said:

Play around with this: https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc. You can even move around the room and see where your nulls/peaks are, this will help with placement and positioning and even tell you the amount of absorption you need.

I think people overestimate the amount of effect room treatment has on the FR response. Sometimes if the room ratios you're using is unfavourable there's not much all the treatment in the world can solve. EQ is much powerful tool in that regard, especially on the low end. And room treatment is used to fix issues that EQ cannot solve alone.

8GQO9SV.png

I added offsets to the measurements for easier visual comparison. First set = no eq, second set = REW + rePhase auto eq 20-400hz, third set = sonarworks, fourth set = REW + rePhase full range with house curve being slope at 500hz to -6dB at 24kHz.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting and confirmed  the corners of the room are the cause of the 50hz peak.

679063617_ScreenShot2019-10-18at9_15_44am.png.5f75f818a7780a890a517e2c2a30540f.png

1 hour ago, frednork said:

@evil c stop deflecting and lend him the sub at least!! and another one

You'll keep, boffin boy ! 😬

With all the yaks... got me intriguing... 

619F5DDC-09D9-49AE-8B97-592BB3DFE7FF.jpeg

72CA2144-268A-4315-84AE-39C248A77FA5.jpeg

4 hours ago, Chanh said:

With all the yaks... got me intriguing... 

I've ordered a couple of Primacoustic MaxTraps to go behind my mains in the corners. It's a start. 

Edited by Satanica

41 minutes ago, Satanica said:

I've ordered a couple of Primacoustic MaxTraps to go behind my mains in the corners. It's a start. 

I think you will be pleased with the decision. My preliminary observation was nothing but positive. Bass notes were much tidier, tighter, higher resolution, speedy... I can’t wait to fit on the rest, including those at rear wall (Flexifusers).... 

ADE40C7F-9A0C-45A1-930F-66831866847F.jpeg

I managed with 4 assembled Today... currently experimenting... 

They work for me.... I have been chasing my tail and falling into Rabbit’s holes with DIY over last 36 months.... Kick myself for the stupidity from thinking diy was way to go..., killed so much invaluable time and funds unnecessarily! 

35BA912B-7149-45DF-9350-312C193B8508.jpeg

10 hours ago, Chanh said:

I managed with 4 assembled Today... currently experimenting... 

They work for me.... I have been chasing my tail and falling into Rabbit’s holes with DIY over last 36 months.... Kick myself for the stupidity from thinking diy was way to go..., killed so much invaluable time and funds unnecessarily! 

35BA912B-7149-45DF-9350-312C193B8508.jpeg

Nice floor, what is it?

22 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

Nice floor, what is it?

Not Primacoustic!😁

It is laminated timber (actual wood), this one I did actually diy..... 

8 minutes ago, Chanh said:

Not Primacoustic!😁

It is laminated timber (actual wood), this one I did actually diy..... 

Oh right - do you remember the species? looks good, I like it

39 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

Oh right - do you remember the species? looks good, I like it

Not off my head mate. It has been more than few years ago. Will do some digging for you...