Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Which side are you favouring to put the speakers on? If it is along the shorter wall then you still have a lot of scope with chair and speaker placement to reduce some of the peaks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I now have this unit rather than the Bagend - https://www.psiaudio.swiss/avaa-c20-active-bass-trap/ - this is a fully automated unit that uses a different principle to the Bagend. The AVAA creates an acoustic resistance at the frequency of the mode whereas the Bagend uses cancellation. The AVAA is set and forget and looks cool but it is expensive. I have not gotten around to done comparison measurements for the AVAA. Personally I prefer the AVAA (well I would say that wouldn't I) as they really do clean up bass with zero artifacts.

The AVAA is an expensive solution. You can get similar results on a fraction of the budget of these units for sure. If you are loaded and you have a tight space and WAF is a big deal then they are worth considering. 

Edited by scumbag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chanh said:

In my case, I sent out architectural shop-drawings of my designated audio outer building and long with all electronics placements as well as the sweet listening position. I also attached photos captured of the current setup, each view of the four walls. 

I received two quotations from two different designers. One was $17.5k and the others was $14.5k. I only order portion of one design and hoping to diy the rest to save funds. That particular designer was fine with my decision. So I spent $5.5k for 2 corners at front wall, 4 fulltrap. 2 max trap for rear side walls, and 4 flexifusers for rear wall. For ceiling and sidewalk first point of reflections I plan using the existing..... for ceiling, I plan to diy some big panels to hang up at front and on top of listening position. 

 

That is my plan in a nutshells...., your constructive input is welcomed. 

 

I’ve made up some more panels if you want to experiment with this style again Chanh 👍

27818EC8-D70A-47BA-AEBB-0A29087D298E.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @mtf.
They look like off the shelves there mate. 🤩

Probably giving a go with what I got atm.  I would be more interested in where you sourced the covering fabric?  
cheers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Just now, Chanh said:

Thanks @mtf.
They look like off the shelves there mate. 🤩

Probably giving a go with what I got atm.  I would be more interested in where you sourced the covering fabric?  
cheers. 

I got it from Spotlight mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, mtf said:

I got it from Spotlight mate.

I liked that...! Sounds affordable....😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frednork said:

Which side are you favouring to put the speakers on? If it is along the shorter wall then you still have a lot of scope with chair and speaker placement to reduce some of the peaks.

Been changing short/long wall position practically every day but am settling on long wall due to improved imaging it provides (found this with the JBL's as well). Moving my chair closer towards the centre of the room yields a much more balanced bass response  so its a pity we never got a chance to measure that.

 

Not sure what a "MSO" option is but yep ive also been looking at active traps too (Bagend & PSI). Bagends about $3.4k and PSI are past 5k I think per unit but I reckon quite a few would be needed as far as I can tell only a small surface area is doing the work which in this case is a 8" or 10" driver which are effectively the "black holes" much the same as putting a window the same size without glass so cannot see how they would really help.

 

The Realtrap "Megatraps" im looking at come as a pair which is why I mentioned 4 sets so planning on 4 per corner. Would love to be able to try though before committing though.

 

Also like I said earlier perhaps some form of EQ might be effective although I realise this does not reduce ringing. anyone got a decent EQ unit to try?

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

This is to treat a fairly nasty peak below 50hz

 

375602846_Sovresponselongwall.png.1d91ba4d708273a6c530397d0ae5f4e0.png

 

Comments/suggestions?

Your sub-bass peak problems actually start at about 55Hz.

Combined with the big dip and I'm stating the obvious here there is much room for improvement.

But being positive if you like what you're hearing now you'll like it even more if these issues are at least somewhat ironed out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Im giving serious thought to investing heavily into the room rather than upgrading tubes, cables, amps etc. Product im looking at is this.

 

https://awave.com.au/shop/accessories/acoustic-treatment/realtraps-megatrap-pair/

 

This is to treat a fairly nasty peak below 50hz

 

375602846_Sovresponselongwall.png.1d91ba4d708273a6c530397d0ae5f4e0.png

 

I reckon i'll need at least 4 pair to stack into the problem corners here.

 

 

 

 

And here (moving the record racks across to expose the corner).

 

 

 

 

Opposite end of the room is open so am not hearing much bass build up there

 

 

 

 

Problem is treating just these 2 corners is just shy of $3,500 so id be expecting it to do wonders but unfortunately dont think i'll be able to return them if they do not work as expected. Im also wondering whether simply EQing would be a cheaper, more elegant solution.

 

Comments/suggestions?

Four pairs would be the price of a nice DSP room correction solution which would be more than just EQ and can control far more than you can do passively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Been changing short/long wall position practically every day but am settling on long wall due to improved imaging it provides (found this with the JBL's as well). Moving my chair closer towards the centre of the room yields a much more balanced bass response  so its a pity we never got a chance to measure that.

 

Not sure what a "MSO" option is but yep ive also been looking at active traps too (Bagend & PSI). Bagends about $3.4k and PSI are past 5k I think per unit but I reckon quite a few would be needed as far as I can tell only a small surface area is doing the work which in this case is a 8" or 10" driver which are effectively the "black holes" much the same as putting a window the same size without glass so cannot see how they would really help.

 

The Realtrap "Megatraps" im looking at come as a pair which is why I mentioned 4 sets so planning on 4 per corner. Would love to be able to try though before committing though.

 

Also like I said earlier perhaps some form of EQ might be effective although I realise this does not reduce ringing. anyone got a decent EQ unit to try?

 

 

 

 

Ok, long wall has less options but if it sounds better thats how it should be.  Can do some more in depth measurements next week for the long wall position and set up a curve and try it if u want.

 

With the active traps they dont need to be super powerful as you are only "cancelling "  part of the signal maybe 10-15 db tops and unlike a window are not just not bouncing the wave back but pushing an out of phase or delayed signal which reduces the overall amplitude much more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Been changing short/long wall position practically every day but am settling on long wall due to improved imaging it provides (found this with the JBL's as well). Moving my chair closer towards the centre of the room yields a much more balanced bass response  so its a pity we never got a chance to measure that.

 

Not sure what a "MSO" option is but yep ive also been looking at active traps too (Bagend & PSI). Bagends about $3.4k and PSI are past 5k I think per unit but I reckon quite a few would be needed as far as I can tell only a small surface area is doing the work which in this case is a 8" or 10" driver which are effectively the "black holes" much the same as putting a window the same size without glass so cannot see how they would really help.

 

The Realtrap "Megatraps" im looking at come as a pair which is why I mentioned 4 sets so planning on 4 per corner. Would love to be able to try though before committing though.

 

Also like I said earlier perhaps some form of EQ might be effective although I realise this does not reduce ringing. anyone got a decent EQ unit to try?

 

id suggest EQ as last bastion...

 

sounds like have found the best spot location wise. I definitely liked it better on long wall vs the narrower arched wall...but was very limited listening. no doubt you have clocked up much hours now to make best assessment ! no doubt be getting quite a daily work out too :D

 

have you checked the local agents for this things. eg when listing the mega trap there looked like a local agent. they might have 4 you can borrow wiht deposit ? obviously pay for them if do as per claims ... they might also have other suggestions :) id also check the local specialist stores most are agents of some sort of treatments or other :) probably have something can borrow too...but these things tend to be bulky so not sure how much they keep :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


10 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Im giving serious thought to investing heavily into the room rather than upgrading tubes, cables, amps etc. Product im looking at is this.

 

https://awave.com.au/shop/accessories/acoustic-treatment/realtraps-megatrap-pair/

 

This is to treat a fairly nasty peak below 50hz

 

375602846_Sovresponselongwall.png.1d91ba4d708273a6c530397d0ae5f4e0.png

 

I reckon i'll need at least 4 pair to stack into the problem corners here.

 

20191017_075310.thumb.jpg.fa551fc9ffa9ce54131cacd0aef4116a.jpg

 

 

And here (moving the record racks across to expose the corner).

 

20191017_080618.thumb.jpg.7dc06cbc957daabb4081f7870bc7795c.jpg

 

 

Opposite end of the room is open so am not hearing much bass build up there

 

20191017_075407.thumb.jpg.c998fefc48794c49895cf3e9303c2687.jpg

 

 

Problem is treating just these 2 corners is just shy of $3,500 so id be expecting it to do wonders but unfortunately dont think i'll be able to return them if they do not work as expected. Im also wondering whether simply EQing would be a cheaper, more elegant solution.

 

Comments/suggestions?

 

 

 

 

 

 

In your (gorgeous!!!) room I would place the speakers in the positions that provide the best imaging/soundstage/listening experience

 

- get a few  subs - a pair of SVS SB-2000 or SB-1000s or better yet - these

and I'd get a miniDSP 2x4HD + umik-1 

 

....position the subs to fill the massive gaping null

- use the miniDSP to integrate the subs to the Sovs and pull down that peak centred at 50Hz.

 

I would also personally use 1/6Oct or Variable/Psychoacoustic smoothing on graphs and 5dB increments on the vertical scale

 

Most prefer a generous amount of bass,with a rising response as the frequencies decrease,so I'm not at all surprised that they already sound very good

 

image_png_aa6903be7aadc05b1d770a366551af99.png.b94ce1f8b28e24aa83fc96da24743e87.png

1311458193_jblharman.png.5e953df6a80d6eb2664dff42cffa4e34.png

919220710_Harman20Target20Curve.JPG.126214012090bab48e8dc9c4262d5bad.JPG

915b8282_Harman.jpg.2e756bcaa723ffb1baa388bb2b098744.jpg

 

 

 

 

Edited by jamiebosco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jamiebosco said:

 

 

 

In your (gorgeous!!!) room I would place the speakers in the positions that provide the best imaging/soundstage/listening experience

 

- get a few  subs - a pair of SVS SB-2000 or SB-1000s or better yet - these

and I'd get a miniDSP 2x4HD + umik-1 

 

....position the subs to fill the massive gaping null

- use the miniDSP to integrate the subs to the Sovs and pull down that peak centred at 50Hz.

 

I would also personally use 1/6Oct or Variable/Psychoacoustic smoothing on graphs and 5dB increments on the vertical scale

 

Most prefer a generous amount of bass,with a rising response as the frequencies decrease,so I'm not at all surprised that they already sound very good

 

Ur42E1m.pngimage_png_aa6903be7aadc05b1d770a366551af99.png.b94ce1f8b28e24aa83fc96da24743e87.png

1311458193_jblharman.png.5e953df6a80d6eb2664dff42cffa4e34.png

919220710_Harman20Target20Curve.JPG.126214012090bab48e8dc9c4262d5bad.JPG

915b8282_Harman.jpg.2e756bcaa723ffb1baa388bb2b098744.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Thx. for the info, @Tony M would be proud if I ever resorted to additional bass reinforcement.

 

Speaking of @evil c wanna sell me back the REL? 🤣

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Forget about foam for any effective treatment below 100hz. The bass will simply pass through them as if they weren't there.

Ok, that's good to know.....my issue seems to be a dip around the 60-70 Hz range & it was suggested floor to ceiling bass traps, along with some 1st reflection diffusion would make the world of diff...so I bought this room acoustics package from Greys online but it only contains x2 traps & they're only 600 mm tall so what do I do with the rest if the corners??

 

What about a simple wooden frame, filled with pink bats + a nice cover...would that be any better than foam?

 

Cheers

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...