Bass Traps

2 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Got a max trap.Does nothing (infect it made the measured response worse) but i do realize one needs more than one to make any substantial difference

Where did you place it in the room? Why just 1 but not 2? 

These are tuned panel absorbers and their placement is as important as the design. These are tuned to 100Hz and aimed for corner placement. Normally one would need to have them filling the whole corner height. However, sometimes panel absorbers work better if placed on the opposite wall from the speakers in the central position (just as a single panel). Also, it really depends what is the room mode that one is trying to counteract. If your room is dominated by a 40Hz standing wave, these corner traps will do very little. 

Needles to say, measure your room, identify the problematic areas and then plan the best way forward. Be careful though, acoustically dead rooms are not always resulting in the most enjoyable listening experience.     

I think membrane traps are made to target specific frequencies and only good in specific scenarios. The general consensus with bass traps are very dependant on how much room you have to work with, the more room you have -> less denser material is better. Here's a good calculator of comparing materials + airgap http://www.acousticmodelling.com/porous.php

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

I like Sound Accoustics, not sure why they do not get enough attention here. Too cheap maybe? They publish info on the absorption profile in their brochure, something difficult to get from others. 

https://soundacoustics.com.au/product/bass-traps/lf70-corner-bass-trap-bear-series/

I had 4x these for my back walls from my experience they don't seem to do much. I replaced them with 250mm of full sized polymax xhd panels with 600mm airgap loaded on a simple ikea clothing rack, simple yet much more effective. 

30 minutes ago, essencez said:

I had 4x these for my back walls from my experience they don't seem to do much. I replaced them with 250mm of full sized polymax xhd panels with 600mm airgap loaded on a simple ikea clothing rack, simple yet much more effective. 

While I am not allowed bass traps in my family room, I know of someone else who used 2 each in all the corners and successfully tamed the bass.  These bass traps work more effectively in corners.

20 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Got a max trap.Does nothing (infect it made the measured response worse) but i do realize one needs more than one to make any substantial difference

Interesting, can you remember how it measured worse?

I.e. was there more bass at certain frequencies where you didn't want or cuts where you didn't want, or both, or something else?

7 minutes ago, Satanica said:

I.e. was there more bass at certain frequencies where you didn't want or cuts where you didn't want, or both, or something else?

Sorry that's a Q. for @frednork as I dont have any of the graphs. I just recall seeing zero effect on 50hz down and a slightly wobblier response above compared to without. FWIW it was situated in the corner of a double brick wall besides the left speaker.

I don't expect any of the bass traps mentioned here to do much if anything below 60h-80z. I'll continue to deal with them with EQ. But if they can tame frequencies 80 to 250Hz it might be worthwhile to me. 

Edited by Satanica

23 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Sorry that's a Q. for @frednork as I dont have any of the graphs. I just recall seeing zero effect on 50hz down and a slightly wobblier response above compared to without. FWIW it was situated in the corner of a double brick wall besides the left speaker.

Even if the measured response was not as good I wonder if actual ringing was reduced.

Edited by Satanica

16 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Even if the measured response was not as good I wonder if actual ringing was reduced.

How true. Not many people know how to read and interpret the waterfall diagram in REW, which is where bass traps have the biggest impact.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Cant seem to find that measurement with the trap but did have a good look at it on the day and it was basically the same with possibly the smallest detectable difference but the dog did walk through the room at that point so i suspect it may have moved the mic. The Sovs put out a  lot of low freq energy below 70Hz so would take a hell of a lot of trapping to significantly change it. One trap is probably a bit underdone for most situations. Wouldnt necessarily discount the effectiveness of the max trap based on this but as has been said would be good to know exactly what problem you are trying to solve when you are applying these more targeted solutions.

3 minutes ago, frednork said:

Wouldnt necessarily discount the effectiveness of the max trap based on this but as has been said would be good to know exactly what problem you are trying to solve when you are applying these more targeted solutions.

I think I would like to reduce the ringing of bass frequencies in my concrete bunker.

Like I've said I don't expect these kinds of products to do much if anything below 80Hz.

2 hours ago, Satanica said:

It's not unusual to see that adding bass traps can make the frequency response look worse in some regions, whilst the waterfalls are improved. In these cases the waterfall correlates better with the subjective difference.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

While I am not allowed bass traps in my family room, I know of someone else who used 2 each in all the corners and successfully tamed the bass.  These bass traps work more effectively in corners.

Yes I had two of them on each of the rear wall corners. I think my room was too dead at that point for them to do much though.  -30dB from initial signal within first 150ms.

James from SoundAcoustics specified; "One LF70 bass trap in a 4 x 5 room will reduce T30 rev time at 100Hz by 20 - 25ms.  So if you have 4 and you start at 500ms you should have a result of 400ms.  If you have 8 traps you will get down to 300ms." Didn't work out in my case though.

I still highly recommend to go DIY or customised solution as every room is different after all. 

• Like 1

In my case, I sent out architectural shop-drawings of my designated audio outer building and long with all electronics placements as well as the sweet listening position. I also attached photos captured of the current setup, each view of the four walls. 

I received two quotations from two different designers. One was $17.5k and the others was $14.5k. I only order portion of one design and hoping to diy the rest to save funds. That particular designer was fine with my decision. So I spent $5.5k for 2 corners at front wall, 4 fulltrap. 2 max trap for rear side walls, and 4 flexifusers for rear wall. For ceiling and sidewalk first point of reflections I plan using the existing..... for ceiling, I plan to diy some big panels to hang up at front and on top of listening position. 

That is my plan in a nutshells...., your constructive input is welcomed. 

• Like 1

Guest Peter the Greek
On 15/10/2019 at 4:48 PM, Satanica said:

I'm in a 7 * 5 metre concrete room.

I'm considering two or three bass traps in two or three of the available corners.

The PrimAcoustic MaxTrap looks pretty good to me.

https://www.primacoustic.com/maxtrap/specifications/

Any suggestions welcome.

One option I'd encourage is going and get say 4 bags on insulation nothing sexy, just whats available. Putting them in the corners and see if it helps. If it does, great, go looking for a nicer option, if not, put the bats in your ceiling.

Might cost you 2-300.