Sign in to follow this  
Mat-with-one-t

Help with downloading Tidal tracks to an SD card playlist

Hi all.  I’m getting help on another thread with some Tidal newbie issues.  In meantime, I’ll explain what I’m hoping to do...(I have a Premium Spotify account so can use that if Tidal proves difficult, but I’m impressed so far with Hifi and Master quality tracks on Tidal).

- my missus has a party coming up.  I am charged with the music.  We tend to have loud parties!

- I’m always wary of mid-dance digital dropout syndrome.  Major bummer to the vibe!

- I can use a mate’s Chord Mojo with Poly as the end-point/DAC into my pre via RCA

- The Poly has an SD card slot

- I just started a 30 day “Hifi” trial on Spotify

SO:

- can I make a bunch of mixtapes (sorry, playlists) and save them, then actually download them to an SD card?  

- if so, can I still control the music off the SD like I would control a streaming playlist?  If so, how?

- I’ve downloaded the “GoFigure” app by Chord.  Is this the key to uninterrupted dance nirvana?

Wish me luck!

Mat

I think Tidal only allows downloading onto your phone (maybe tablet too, I haven't tried)

If you go that way, make sure you change the menu setting for downloads to the highest quality before you start downloading

1 hour ago, sakabatou said:

I think Tidal only allows downloading onto your phone (maybe tablet too, I haven't tried)

If you go that way, make sure you change the menu setting for downloads to the highest quality before you start downloading

Ok.  Hopefully I can find a device with a stack of storage.....no chance getting it onto an SD?

1 minute ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Ok.  Hopefully I can find a device with a stack of storage.....no chance getting it onto an SD?

I don't know, but I don't think the artists would be ok with Tidal allowing such flexibility in downloading, so it's probably locked down

Ok got the Poly working.  Will download to iPhone and see if that makes for non fallouty playback.....

Edit.  The download queue doesn’t seem to move much.  I left phone on overnight and no changes?  What am I doing wrong?  

Edited by Mat-with-one-t

In settings you can select download destination - select your sd card. 

I haven't removed my sd card to check if the music sits on it or if it still needs the app to play the files, but wouldn't be hard to do a quick check I just haven't needed to as yet. 

My gut tells me the files won't be there on the capacity we are talking about as it would be illegal downloading and copyright laws would kick in but worth an atttempt

At worst, if you have an old phone or something you can install tidal app on,  connect to your source and select 'offline' use and all the stuff on the sd card you've downloaded will be playable and won't have any potential dropout or buffering issue 

Screenshot_20191015_083505.thumb.jpg.c89c87199afd8d01e4095b8fbe52d9a3.jpgScreenshot_20191015_083137_com.aspiro.tidal.thumb.jpg.a630d895df07cf1e692543448b6365aa.jpg

Edited by 08Boss302

9 hours ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Edit.  The download queue doesn’t seem to move much.  I left phone on overnight and no changes?  What am I doing wrong?  

Are you connected to wifi? Otherwise you’ll need to enable the option to download over “cellular”, which will time out every 2 minutes if the app is idle

Yep on wifi, but it seems to time out regardless?  My next issue is that the Poly doesn’t read an SD card I already have full of music.  Perhaps it’s a formatting thing? 

From the Poly user manual:

7.4 Micro SD card This Poly is able to play back music stored on a Micro SD card via DLNA, UPnP or MPD.

1. Select Other Music Services 

2. Insert a Micro SD card into the Poly’s Micro SD slot F . The P-status LED C flashes green when the card is detected. NOTICE  If the Poly does not detect the Micro SD card, insert the card into a computer and make sure it is formatted to ExFat.

3. On your control device, open a DLNA, UPnP or MPD app of your choice (e.g. BubbleUPnP (Android) or 8 Player (iOS).

4. In the app, select the Poly as the audio output.

5. Select a song from the Micro SD card’s directory and begin playback.

TIP The Poly supports an unlimited amount of Micro SD storage capacity.

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Poly-User-Manual.pdf

To download Tidal to SD Card, you could give a try to use this tool to help you. It is a Tidal Converter, which can convert music from Tidal to other audio formats with original quality. And you can customize the audios as you like and save them to your computer. Then you can use them by yourself on any other devices easily.