Sign in to follow this  
Mat-with-one-t

Started Tidal trial but can’t find any Bluetooth or Airplay gadgets on network

Hi all.  We have Spotify and it works just fine.  It’s been easy to just use an iPad or iPhone and “send” music to device of choice (various iPhones, iPads, a Mac laptop, a PC desktop, etc) on the same home wifi network.

So I started a Tidal trial today.  All household devices (to which I might send a stream) have the Tidal app installed, have Bluetooth enabled and are on same network.  I’ve turned everything off and on, including the modem.

Still, Tidal doesn’t seem to “see” any devices.  I hit the little “speaker” icon, or the “Airplay” icon and zip - no devices at all.

Where am I going wrong?

Mat

In the car I just make sure phone is connected to Bluetooth and then just open Tidal app and press play, same on Bluetooth speaker. 

My understanding is as long as your amp or speaker etc  is recognised by your phone or tablet it should play? 

Edited by 08Boss302

Yeah that's how Spotify works in my experience, but no luck with Tidal.....

Hi Mat

There are two different functions being talked about here I think. Spotify supports both functions and Tidal only the first function.

FIRST FUNCTION

The first and most common function is streaming from Tidal or Spotify to a Bluetooth or Airplay speaker.

BLUETOOTH

If you connect your iphone/ipad to a bluetooth speaker via the bluetooth pairing function then it will play through the Tidal app (no need to click on any speaker icon for this).

AIRPLAY

- Ensure your iphone/ipad and an Airplay enabled speaker are on the same wifi network

- tap the speaker icon in the bottom left of the Tidal app

- tap Airplay & Bluetooth

- the Tidal app will then redirect to the inbuilt airplay speaker selection (same as swipe up on an iphone/ipad and select the airplay icon in media controls)

You can do the same Airplay thing this way https://www.imore.com/where-find-airplay-audio-controls-ios-11s-control-center

SECOND FUNCTION - SPOTIFY ONLY

The Spotify Connect function (which enables you to play between Spotify devices connected to the same Wifi) is actually much smarter than Bluetooth or Airplay. It not only allows you to play from an iphone/ipad/computer to a Spotify Connect enabled device BUT IT ALSO allows for you to send audio BETWEEN any iphone/ipad/computer on the same Wifi network and logged in to the same Spotify account. This is I think the function you were using with Spotify that you are trying to use with Tidal (but which Tidal cannot technically do). i.e  you can send audio to your iphone from your laptop and vice versa with Spotify but unfortunately this is not possible with Tidal.

Hope this helps!

4 hours ago, rogersquared said:

Hi Mat

There are two different functions being talked about here I think. Spotify supports both functions and Tidal only the first function.

FIRST FUNCTION

The first and most common function is streaming from Tidal or Spotify to a Bluetooth or Airplay speaker.

BLUETOOTH

If you connect your iphone/ipad to a bluetooth speaker via the bluetooth pairing function then it will play through the Tidal app (no need to click on any speaker icon for this).

AIRPLAY

- Ensure your iphone/ipad and an Airplay enabled speaker are on the same wifi network

- tap the speaker icon in the bottom left of the Tidal app

- tap Airplay & Bluetooth

- the Tidal app will then redirect to the inbuilt airplay speaker selection (same as swipe up on an iphone/ipad and select the airplay icon in media controls)

You can do the same Airplay thing this way https://www.imore.com/where-find-airplay-audio-controls-ios-11s-control-center

SECOND FUNCTION - SPOTIFY ONLY

The Spotify Connect function (which enables you to play between Spotify devices connected to the same Wifi) is actually much smarter than Bluetooth or Airplay. It not only allows you to play from an iphone/ipad/computer to a Spotify Connect enabled device BUT IT ALSO allows for you to send audio BETWEEN any iphone/ipad/computer on the same Wifi network and logged in to the same Spotify account. This is I think the function you were using with Spotify that you are trying to use with Tidal (but which Tidal cannot technically do). i.e  you can send audio to your iphone from your laptop and vice versa with Spotify but unfortunately this is not possible with Tidal.

Hope this helps!

Ah that helps a lot.  Thanks mate.  Yes Spotify is very handy as I can “send” music from my iPad (as a “remote control” to any I-thing in the house.  I do have a Spotify-specific basic little streamer box thingy and it works well, however Sou d quality is basic.  Most commonly, we have an iPhone 5 permanently hooked up on one system as an “end-point”.  Thus, for pretty much maybe $20 for a Gustard u10....

iphone>camera connector (also keeps phone charged)>Gustard u10>spdif to digital in on my Denon DCD3000 (Awesome Dac)>pre

Given your info, no can do with Tidal.  Bugger.

On the other hand, I just bought a Mojo/Poly unit off the classifieds here for a mate.  I’m gonna borrow it and try it with Tidal on the big stereo for an upcoming party....It looks like it’s designed to work with Tidal.  I assume I can also download music to a micro-SD in case the system stuffs up?

I’m surprised Tidal can’t do the “Second function” stuff.  I’d heard perhaps it wasn’t as user friendly as Spotify, but this is overlooked in lieu of SQ?  I’ll play with it for the month, and see what I reckon by the end!

Cheers, Mat

Tidal can do other stuff that Spotify can't do such as sending audio direct from a computer to a DAC bypassing the built-in sound manager (for better SQ).

Poly can do SD cards yes but you need to put your own music on there. You cannot download from Tidal onto an SD card.

If you did find you liked Tidal SQ better than Spotify I think the best way would be to get one of these and use the optical out into your existing DAC:

You have to use a dedicated app for Tidal which are usually not quite as good as the native app but the increase in SQ may be worth it. 

Edited by rogersquared

Looks like you can also use the normal (native) Spotify app with this Bluesound Node so it would show up as one of the devices on your Spotify app. So this Node thing would work with the second function that I mentioned in the earlier post.

thats correct. you can also bluetooth tidal to the node if you prefer to do that instead of using the BluOs app however i am not sure on any sound degredation or loss of "bits"by bluetoothing Tidal vs BluOs app.  You do get the native app doing things that way though

Spotify is a piece of cake to use on Bluesound and you get FULL native app functionality as opposed to a watered down version like what happens with Tidal via the BluOs app.