Passive monitor speakers, recommendations please

Hi All

I would like some recommendations for close listening, passive, monitor speakers ,budget up to 1k. Maximum width about 200mm.

I am happy with my main speakers but most of my listening is done at my computer and this is sited in totally the wrong position to use them. So I am thinking of using the second speaker outputs and placing some small monitor speakers either side of the computer desk.  

Moving main speakers is not an option,according to my wife.

Any suggestions welcome, thanks in advance.

Amp is a Pioneer SX10AE  with specs of 

2 ch k 100 W at 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1ch Driven of 1%THD MAXIMUM Effective Output Power (JEITA) 2 ch k 100 W at 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 2ch Driven of 10%THD Dynamic Power (*) (*)IEC60268-Short-term maximum output power 140 W (3 ≠) 120 W (4 ≠) 80 W (8 ≠) THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion+Noise) 0.08% (20 - 20,000 Hz, half power)

1159811170_MONITOR.thumb.JPG.e2ed60093fa51eab0d40adab99a8535e.JPG

1030079896_MON2.thumb.JPG.8073fd4bab582dad6a7c4014cf7c4945.JPG

Edited by EV Cali
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Decky said:

Use headphones

Thanks

That is what I do most of the time but would like to try small speakers. 

Would still use a sub, as not so directional , so getting bass, from the small speakers, not a big issue

Guest Misterioso

Maybe have a look at Dynaudio Emit M10 or Legend Acoustics Mini. If your integrated has a pre out, you could also consider active monitors (much more choice for nearfield applications).

Edited by Misterioso

35 minutes ago, Misterioso said:

Maybe have a look at Dynaudio Emit M10 or Legend Acoustics Mini. If your integrated has a pre out, you could also consider active monitors (much more choice for nearfield applications).

Thanks for the recommendations. And suggestion regarding pre out,there is a line out and I am assuming that is the same and will definitely give more choice.

Any in the range from Kef, Audioengine etc at nearest audio shops. High up on stands or wall mounted.

A used Kef Ls50 is possible for $1k, and others like Jamo Concert 8, Proac Studio 100, Lenehan, Focal, various Dynaudio, Sonus Faber etc.

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1

I'd also recommend the Emit 10, or the KEF Q150 if you're looking at new. 

The KEF is more mid forward and clear in that region, whereas the Dynaudio is less middy, a bit faster, with more bass. They can both be hard to drive at high volumes, but for your situation they should be fine. 

As for the LS50s, once you're looking at second hand under a grand you'll want to inspect the drivers carefully to ensure they're not damaged. Distorted drivers from being over/poorly driven aren't unheard of. Also, with that amp, you'll probably find the difference between the LS50 and the Q150 quite small. That's not to say your amp is crap, just that the Q series is very good for the money, and you have to have a pretty decent amp to notice the improvement (cabinet noise, highs, etc. etc.).