anewmission

Linear power supplies

35 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

It also says "IEC Inlet with Line filter & EMC shields"   Heck of a lot more than just an isolating transformer.

In your post back up the page, the best SQ you experienced was 

, and this is why.    It would seem even a "good old Meanwell" makes the best power supply.  All you have to do is filter out the hash, which by the way, can actually be done with just the simple line filter.   :thumbsup:

One of these, and the tin box, would suffice to legitimise their claims.

189610327_iec-rfifilter.jpg.4d4bbf921369a27e37623805c4c3d09d.jpg

37 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

It also says "IEC Inlet with Line filter & EMC shields"   Heck of a lot more than just an isolating transformer.

In your post back up the page, the best SQ you experienced was 

, and this is why.    It would seem even a "good old Meanwell" makes the best power supply. All you have to do is filter out the hash, which by the way, can actually be done with just the simple line filter.   :thumbsup:

Double post

iec-rfi filter.jpg

Edited by bob_m_54
double post

Just now, bob_m_54 said:

One of these, and the tin box, would suffice to legitimise their claims.

189610327_iec-rfifilter.jpg.4d4bbf921369a27e37623805c4c3d09d.jpg

For that part of it yes, but then there's the big isolating transformer and it's shielding.

However, one of these would remove hash from the line, yes.

1 minute ago, aussievintage said:

For that part of it yes, but then there's the big isolating transformer and it's shielding.

However, one of these would remove hash from the line, yes.

The earthed metal box will shield that, or they may even have a box within the box, but I doubt it. Be good to see an inside shot.

There ya go, no magic in that box 😉

Hopefully they've made sure they had a good electrical bond between the earth stud, and the box. Clean surface to bare metal, and a star washer between the locknut and the metal box.

Often, this is neglected.

Edited by bob_m_54

16 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

There ya go, no magic in that box 😉

Hopefully they've made sure they had a good electrical bond between the earth stud, and the box. Clean surface to bare metal, and a star washer between the locknut and the metal box.

Often, this is neglected.

Thanks, will check it is as you say.

So back to my previous question, about what should be plugged where, any ideas?

I'll leave that for someone else to answer mate, but how much noise is being injected into your mains, and what effects are you experiencing?

17 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

I'll leave that for someone else to answer mate, but how much noise is being injected into your mains, and what effects are you experiencing?

Not sure how much but transformer does the night day listening thing. I assume there is a lot of stuff being injected and also assume if I plug the smps's into the transformer they will pollute the other equipment . Is it enough they are just on the normal circuit (ie no transformer) or should I have a separate transformer for them

8 minutes ago, frednork said:

should I have a separate transformer for them

why do you want a transformer?  Why not just filters?

If that's one of those with a variable voltage setting then I suggest you use an accurate voltmeter to set the voltage if you haven't already as the gauges are usually not very accurate.
Ta! The power supply developed a click from some relay inside so was relegated to the interchange bench. The TLC was relegated to same bench when we upgraded to the Esoteric KX-03 from the Esoteric P-10 and MF TriVista DAC.

But heck. Power supply on a reclocker?

Paul Miller was big on examining power supply influences on SQ through the 80s and early 90s. It was interesting to read about impacts and non-intended consequences, stuff you do not think about.

What I got out of this was high current and absolutely clean ac/dc voltages!

Paul

28 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

why do you want a transformer?  Why not just filters?

Well, that is a (cheaper) option, dont particularly want another transformer but would it work better than a similarly priced (or less) filter?

21 minutes ago, frednork said:

Well, that is a (cheaper) option, dont particularly want another transformer but would it work better than a similarly priced (or less) filter?

Depends on the problem.  Filters remove noise from wires.  Isolation transformers help prevent ground loops which pick up radiated noise (which may be coming from the wires, or elsewhere).   Every situation might be different.

12 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Depends on the problem.  Filters remove noise from wires.  Isolation transformers help prevent ground loops which pick up radiated noise (which may be coming from the wires, or elsewhere).   Every situation might be different.

The problem is smps's injecting noise into the circuit, Would either filters or iso trans do the same job (or better)

5 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Question, do these "isolating transformers, that are being talked about, include filtering and power conditioning, or are they simple transfomers to isolate from ground?

You are confoosed about the function of an "isolating transformet", av!  :lol:

These transformers do not (well they should not!) isolate from ground.  If they do ... the RCD in your power distribution box becomes useless.

What they do do is ... isolate the secondary active/neutral lines from the primary active/neutral lines.  Which, for one, stops DC from passing ... but, I suggest, still allows mains hash to pass through the transformer (given that magnetic linkage passes AC).

Andy