Sign in to follow this  
anewmission

Linear power supplies

42 minutes ago, anewmission said:

How much different would I hear between a computer linear psu and my corsair rm650x atx, which has the lowest ripple of any non linear psu for atx?

Ripple of the power being supplied by the PSU is only one side of the coin.

The other side is any HF noise that the PSU is putting back on the mains.... however it is not certain that other devices in your system will be sensitive to said noise carried on mains.

The other side is any HF noise that the PSU is putting back on the mains.... however it is not certain that other devices in your system will be sensitive to said noise carried on mains.
I use the same corsair psu for my recording rig and my hifi rig.
As they are atx machines, I need to use atx psu. Does anyone know if there are linear atx psu? I'm guessing they would be a fortune.
In which case I would be better to get another motherboard or an nuc with the 12v input?

Why a Linear PSU?   

Go 38mins in......the man from Hypex strikes again......

https://www.manley.com/news/2019/6/17/a-factory-tour-with-produce-like-a-pro-and-a-chance-to-win-a-micmaid

Now who would have thought that a SMPSU would be utilised in Tuuube  gear hey!   

Edited by Addicted to music

4 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Why do you suggest, Dave, that "other devices in your system " might not be sensitive to said noise on the mains?

I would've thought that as theory says that - in Oz, anyway - mains is a nice 50Hz sine wave ... if it is a 'fuzzy' sine wave then this must have a deleterious effect?  (Compared to the mains being a nice clean sine wave.)

Andy

8 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Why a Linear PSU?   

Go 38mins in......the man from Hypex strikes again......

https://www.manley.com/news/2019/6/17/a-factory-tour-with-produce-like-a-pro-and-a-chance-to-win-a-micmaid

Now who would have thought that a SMPSU would be utilised in Tuuube  gear hey!   

Nice. Those PSUs made by Hypex are pretty special. I tried to demonstrate the noise I get at the wall injected by SMPS with my power line noise meter by sticking my class D Hypex amp in the socket next to it which as the 1200SMPS from Hypex in it, and every time I turned the amp on, the noise level went down, not up. I can't say that any regular wall wart can does that. It's never about technology, but about implementation. Cheap Linear PSUs perform very well for their price. Cheap SMPS are terrible. Expensive PSUs of both varieties can perform very well.

13 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

I can't say that any regular wall wart can does that. It's never about technology, but about implementation. Cheap Linear PSUs perform very well for their price.

Wall warts used to be cheap linear power supplies, and they performed terribly.      Nothing magic about linear.    Still has to be done right.  

So yeah, either type can be bad or good.

7 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Wall warts used to be cheap linear power supplies, and they performed terribly.      Nothing magic about linear.    Still has to be done right.  

So yeah, either type can be bad or good.

I almost never see those linear wall warts any more but yeah they were garbage too.

9 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

I almost never see those linear wall warts any more but yeah they were garbage too.

Trouble is, these home brew linear power supplies, and similarly, the cheap ones from eBay, are also probably garbage compared to the modern switching power supplies people think they are "upgrading"  from.

2 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Trouble is, these home brew linear power supplies, and similarly, the cheap ones from eBay, are also probably garbage compared to the modern switching power supplies people think they are "upgrading"  from.

Perhaps you're right. I don't really know what quality SMPS the device in question comes with.

What do you make of the topping p50? Any good or cheap Chinese made?

21 minutes ago, anewmission said:
1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

What do you make of the topping p50? Any good or cheap Chinese made?

Hard to tell.  I had a look around and found this description -

The Topping P50 Linear Power Supply is made from a solid aluminum brick for a sleek look, mechanical strength, and anti-interferance. The P50 is regulated with three TPS7A4700 ultralow noise linear regulators and has a sealed toroidal transformer. It comes with 15V modules that provide more than 10000uF capacitors in total, and 5V modules that provide more than 8000uF capacitors in total giving the output enough energy reserves.

So it has the potential to be quite reasonable, if they haven't skimped in any areas.  It sounds like a basic regulated design.

9 hours ago, aussievintage said:

why?

If it (hash on the mains AC sine wave) doesn't cause problems, av - then you might as well say ripple on the DC rails isn't an issue either.  :lol:

Andy

Whilst discussing this think about

Front end of fairly well any given system is likely to have a couple of things powered by SMPS, including the LED or OLED Monitor

2 ways to approach any problems, with regard to SMPS Leakage, which can be a PITA and cause issues some would never cure.

Either change out the SMPS for linear Supply OR plug those devices into an Isolation Transformer

Doing either will isolate electrically those said components  will stop any ground loop (which is a windfall sometimes)  and guaranteed better, lower noise floor/signal to noise.

So with this solution at hand, why wouldn't an Isolation Transformer be part of almost all systems that have SMPS. Gives the isolation of a linear PS and all the benefits of a SMPS \\\

Have a nice day

Edited by Dirkgerman

10 hours ago, aussievintage said:

And usually they are. 

1 hour ago, andyr said:

If it (hash on the mains AC sine wave) doesn't cause problems, av - then you might as well say ripple on the DC rails isn't an issue either.  :lol:

Not at all.  Ripple on the rails is directly feeding into the amplifier, but hash on the AC actually has a lot of trouble finding it's way into the amplifier because it's so piss easy to filter out.