anewmission

Linear power supplies

16 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Oh dear, yet another ASR link. They are NOT the final arbiters of truth, much as their worshippers like to think...

What are you talkin 'bout, Snoops!  :lol:  ASR is "Audio Science Review" - so it must be the final truth!

Andy

Don't forget that SMPSs inject noise back into your power which may affect other devices if they're sensitive to that noise.

Just now, andyr said:

What are you talkin 'bout, Snoops!  :lol:  ASR is "Audio Science Review" - so it must be the final truth!

Or there are none so deaf. 😉

59 minutes ago, andyr said:

Andy

Baby thrown out with the bathwater Andy

Updated Post to the OP:

As they used to say "It's your money" so feel free to spend it how you wish but I really I wouldn't spend large sums on a LPS until you are sure it will make a difference, if you can't borrow one then as another poster said you could try batteries first, this would be a good test IMO as if you don't hear a difference with them you can be pretty sure that you won't with a LPS. I have my own LPS that I designed for the AD797 phono stage and can attest it's as good as batteries.

Note: Link to ASR review removed as it caused some to go into melt down mode for some reason.

Edited by HypnoToad

I used a fairly inexpensive Teradak LPS on a Musical Fidelity Vlink II a couple of years ago. It made a subtle but still noticeable difference in clarity and transparency.

Last night I ordered another Teradak with USB output off Ebay to power my iPhone (as opposed to using the small Apple USB wall plug) which will be my source in a second small system I am putting together. Can't really go wrong for AU$90.

Edited by Winno

Updated Post to the OP:

As they used to say "It's your money" so feel free to spend it how you wish but I really I wouldn't spend large sums on a LPS until you are sure it will make a difference, if you can't borrow one then as another poster said you could try batteries first, this would be a good test IMO as if you don't hear a difference with them you can be pretty sure that you won't with a LPS. I have my own LPS that I designed for the AD797 phono stage and can attest it's as good as batteries.

Note: Link to ASR review removed as it caused some to go into melt down mode for some reason.
I will try one on the Dac first and see the difference. If not noticeable would I be better getting a power regenerator and dismissing linear power supplies. I just happened to notice, especially with the tt that power doesnt feel constant, (could be tt motor) but hearing notes drop whole tones in certain sections of a song is what made me notice this

I bought some cheap ebay DIY linear regulator kits, but threw away the diodes, electrolytics and regulator ICs and sourced my own schottky diodes, nichicon/panasonic electros and low noise regulator ICs from RS Components.

The quality of the PCBs, heatsinks and resistors was fine.

If the ready-made ones are using decent components and genuine chips, they should be fine.

34 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

It is far from a meltdown. It is your right to post your opinions. Similarly, others have the right to challenge ASR posts, something that is not allowed by them...

7 minutes ago, anewmission said:

I just happened to notice, especially with the tt that power doesnt feel constant, (could be tt motor) but hearing notes drop whole tones in certain sections of a song is what made me notice this

Sounds more like the TT is the problem, but I'm only guessing from a distance. As to the power regenerator others with more knowledge may chime in.

12 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

It is far from a meltdown. It is your right to post your opinions. Similarly, others have the right to challenge ASR posts, something that is not allowed by them...

Fair enough, but it doesn't automatically invalidate all information on there, I don't automatically believe everything I read on any site, and prefer to do my own analysis, but the review I posted seemed to coincide with my own findings. If I had thought it would upset some I wouldn't have posted it. And don't worry I know what they are like, try saying you enjoy listening to Vinyl. Cheers.

Edited by HypnoToad

1 hour ago, HypnoToad said:

And don't worry I know what they are like, try saying you enjoy listening to Vinyl. Cheers.

Vinyl must be like a enigma and thorn in their side of the measurement brigade. Vinyl must go against every fiber of their being in their body. :)

I personally find a good Vinyl setup can sound better and be more enjoyable than a digital setup. Also lots of others find this too. Measures quite poorly against digital, go figure?

Getting back to Linear power supplies. I replaced most of my Switch mode power supplies I had in system to Linear ones and it has been one of those great upgrades that has elevated my listening enjoyment.

Edited by rocky500

Vinyl must be like a enigma and thorn in their side of the measurement brigade. Vinyl must go against every fiber of their being in their body.
I personally find a good Vinyl setup can sound better and be more enjoyable than a digital setup. Also lots of others find this too. Measures quite poorly against digital, go figure?

Getting back to Linear power supplies. I replaced most of my Switch mode power supplies I had in system to Linear ones and it has been one of those great upgrades that has elevated my listening enjoyment.

Vinyl just sounds fuller to me, and I can listen to it for far longer than digital.
Working in studios it was the same with tape machines vs digital interfaces.

And finally being a guitar player, analog guitar amps sound better than the new digital amps coming out, period. I can see what Fender and other brands are doing with these digital amps but they just sound so compressed and no natural element.

I actually compared a 20watt analog guitar amp (Chinese brand) to a 100watt Fender digital and it made me really angry. The 20watt totally smashed it.

I guess guitar is different and so is tape, but I still use my Dac 90% of the time purely for ease of use. Control tidal from my phone and not have the change vinyl every 3-4 songs

I have nothing against properly implemented SMPS however don't trust most companies to implement them properly. My computer is powered by this 200W linear psu:

oSe19wBl.jpg

I suggest reading these threads on headfi:

Part 1

Part 2
Part 3

Slightly out dated but lots of good info, one of the Teradac models can provide dual outputs for your use case. Try to stick with brands that advertise specs and better yet provide proper measurements rather than say targeted advertising (I am looking at you HDPLEX).

I have nothing against properly implemented SMPS however don't trust most companies to implement them properly. My computer is powered by this 200W linear psu:

oSe19wBl.jpg&key=74a0496f48c7471f798b992ff87d117056fb764a545e4678ed4ef43c90bdf5b2

I suggest reading these threads on headfi:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Slightly out dated but lots of good info, one of the Teradac models can provide dual outputs for your use case. Try to stick with brands that advertise specs and better yet provide proper measurements rather than say targeted advertising (I am looking at you HDPLEX).
How much different would I hear between a computer linear psu and my corsair rm650x atx, which has the lowest ripple of any non linear psu for atx?

4 minutes ago, anewmission said:

How much different would I hear between a computer linear psu and my corsair rm650x atx, which has the lowest ripple of any non linear psu for atx?

You will get wildly differing opinions on this from "nothing" to "night and day." Try it for yourself if you can find one to borrow. The choice of PSU makes no difference on my system.