Linear power supplies

I am considering buying a linear power supply to upgrade my Dac. (topping D50)

Just wondering what people's thoughts on this are.

Is there any point in buying the budget ones from eBay or aliexpress? Considering the Dac was only 300 I don't want to go overboard.

I also noticed that bryston use linear power supplies to their turntables.

My turntable is 15v input, I'm wondering if there is dual linear psu (5v and 15v outputs in the same chassis)

Any help is appreciated

I'd say there'd be benefit even from the cheapest linear power supply you can buy. I wouldn't be sharing a power supply between components as you've suggested there though. Each device (and even each subcomponent) having its own PSU goes a long way towards better performance.

• Like 1

Check out this eBayer (link below). I've bought several linear power supplies from here and all have performed well, including for the Topping D50 - which sounds a little sterile with the switch-mode supply IMO.

I'm not sure I agree with Ittaku that a dual-voltage supply isn't the way to go, especially at this price-point. I've seen twin-transformer unit available that looked fine. 

(But I try to disagree with Ittaku as often as I can...!).

LPS

• Like 1

Hi,

I would try powering the topping DAC with a USB battery pack, to see if you notice any difference in SQ before shelling out on a full LPSU.

AliExpress have a lot of sellers who will make a custom linear PSU with more than 1 voltage output, could be worth looking into.

15 minutes ago, was_a said:

I'm not sure I agree with Ittaku that a dual-voltage supply isn't the way to go, especially at this price-point.

Well, Clay Gieseler has stopped making multiple-voltage LPSes - coz he says there is a performance degradation from doing this ... compared to separate voltage supplies.

Clay's the expert AFAIAC - so I go with his advice.  :)

Andy

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, was_a said:

(But I try to disagree with Ittaku as often as I can...!).

Wow, I'm that objectionable? :| You can always put me on ignore... that is unless you feel obliged to protect everyone else from the evil influence of my opinions.

Back on topic, I've bought two cheap arse linear PSUs from Aliexpress and been happy with both.

I have a reluctance to purchase el cheapo LPSUs because they are using cheap transformers and parts, could be a fire hazard. *And it could short the expensive DAC, streamer etc. it is connected to *.  Over anxious maybe?

Hence my preference for Gieseler LPSUs, but difficult to justify price wise for OP.

Edited by Snoopy8
Added *
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, gavtron said:

Hi,

I would try powering the topping DAC with a USB battery pack, to see if you notice any difference in SQ before shelling out on a full LPSU.

AliExpress have a lot of sellers who will make a custom linear PSU with more than 1 voltage output, could be worth looking into.

That may not necessarily be an indication, because the USB battery packs have a DC-DC converter of some type, built into them, to convert the 3.7V batteries up to 5V for the output.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

That may not necessarily be an indication, because the USB battery packs have a DC-DC converter of some type, built into them, to convert the 3.7V batteries up to 5V for the output.

Yep, but given the price point of the DAC it's probably not worth spending a lot on a nice psu.. I've experimented in the past using battery packs + a cheap DAC to good effect.  Some battery pack brands sounded better than others, but to my ear they all improved the sound over a wallwart..

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gavtron said:

Yep, but given the price point of the DAC it's probably not worth spending a lot on a nice psu.. I've experimented in the past using battery packs + a cheap DAC to good effect.  Some battery pack brands sounded better than others, but to my ear they all improved the sound over a wallwart..

I have two that I use with a Raspberry Pi setup as a streamer, and don't really notice any difference in sound over a wallwart I was using, both sound good to me anyway. But then again, my hearing is cr@p after many years working on jet aeroplanes.

I actually bought them thinking they would supply nice clean DC, but later realised that to supply the 5V, they would be up-converting from the 3.7V internal batteries. They may actually be much cleaner, I don't know, I haven't bothered to look at the output on a CRO. They do allow a higher current than the wall wart I had though, so possibly less voltage sag when I had an external USB HDD connected.

I guess what I was trying to say is, if you try one, and it doesn't sound better, don't discount that a LPS may improve the sound.

I'm guessing usb battery packs are different to the portable USB chargers?
Never heard of them

1 minute ago, anewmission said:

I'm guessing usb battery packs are different to the portable USB chargers?
Never heard of them

I was referring to what is commonly called USB power banks, which are used for charging phones etc...

1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

Wow, I'm that objectionable? :| You can always put me on ignore... that is unless you feel obliged to protect everyone else from the evil influence of my opinions.

Back on topic, I've bought two cheap arse linear PSUs from Aliexpress and been happy with both.

It's the latter... (I'll supply free garlic to everyone)...

Yes, like you Ittaku I've had good luck with budget LPUs. To address Snoopy's concern about transformers, many of these Chinese LPUs use Brit-designed Talemas albeit made in India. They're fine.

Edited by was_a
  • Like 1

Topping have brought out an lps specifically for the d50 - the topping P50. $175 on amazon.
http://www.tpdz.net/products_list/pmcId=24.html
Wow, OK this is pretty cool. I didn't know this existed. Not only will it match the Dac perfectly in looks but also has a 15v output which is exactly what I was looking for in my original post.

So now my question would be, would it be better to use this one at $175 or buy two linear psu (5v and 15v) at say $90 each?

@anewmission
I’m a big fan of Clay linear psu, used one in the past with great results on Auralic  Aries LE.  But since you using a dac that is $300, perhaps something like this would be more appropriate price wise and zero risk in terms of it being a health hazard as it is sold here by reputable hifi dealers.

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/ifi-ipower-low-noise-power-supply

Neo

Edited by Neo

@anewmission
I’m a big fan of Clay linear psu, used one in the past with great results on Auralic  Aries LE.  But since you using a dac that is $300, perhaps something like this would be more appropriate price wise and zero risk in terms of it being a health hazard as it is sold here by reputable hifi dealers.
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/ifi-ipower-low-noise-power-supply
Neo
Do you think the topping one would be a health hazard? In that case is my topping dac a health hazard?
It punches way above its price point.

7 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

I have a reluctance to purchase el cheapo LPSUs because they are using cheap transformers and parts, could be a fire hazard. *And it could short the expensive DAC, streamer etc. it is connected to *.  Over anxious maybe?

Hence my preference for Gieseler LPSUs, but difficult to justify price wise for OP.

??

47 minutes ago, anewmission said:
1 hour ago, Neo said:
emoji1303.png

I think I will get the topping one for the Dac and tt inputs. And then for my phono pre, another $300 purchase. The schiit mani I will need another one

The Schiit mani is different. It is AC. Do not try a linear power supply with that one. :)