End game speakers. How is it done? What reasons?

Endgame for me is finding your ultimate, final, last, definitive destination in whatever hobby or interest motivates you enough to seek it. I have a thread running on SNA about my endgame speakers that may even have inspired this thread.

I dont think there is much more to it than that.

• Like 1

well to me its a system where you are happy to live with for a very long time (considering electronics do break down). the system has the sound qualities / musicality one is looking for. most importantly the system makes you want to listen / enjoy music of you liking.

• Like 2

Is end game something to do with when you start sorting an online site's products by Price: High to Low? 

For me it is more about how long they keep my interest.  5 years is great lifetime for speakers (and cars), and 10 years is exceptional.
I thought I was there with Tannoy Guy Fountain Memory speakers and kept them for close on 20 years. Loved their sound and presence.  Then the bug caught me again and over the past couple of years I have cycled through speakers and amps in a couple of listening rooms - all good stuff that sounds great in its own way, but never really fulfilled me as the Tannoy's had.  And at the HiFi Show and in showrooms there was always stuff that sounded that little better - but was it really better and worth the extra $$'s and loss on changeover?

That changed at the HiFi Show this year when I listened to the Kii Three's.  A massive step above the Tannoy's or other things I have had, and pretty much anything else I have listened to - just a presence, ease and clarity that is uncanny.   And so simple, small and uncluttered.  Pretty sure they are going to stop any further churning of speakers for the next decade. 

And complete antithesis of most stuff wins philosophy I usually support!  Might even have to get rid of the accumulated boxes of different speaker cables and interconnects

@genkifd, agree wholeheartedly, my current speakers i have had for 15 years, still listen to them nearly every day, my previous speakers i had for over 30yrs, only change due to equipment failure and modern amps not suiting the speakers, the ones i have now have seen a few amp changes.

have heard some amazing speakers, but have learnt that this might not be replicated in your enviornment

• Like 1

I will let you in on the secret...there is no end game, its a modern take on a primordial urge to hunt and want more. But don’t be disheartened as this is where the fun lies. The real fun in this hobby is the want, get, try and repeat. Once you accept this (and move into the second hand market) you will find peace in knowing you will never be content. 

• Like 2