Streaming tidal... node 2i or Mac?

Hi all,

So I’m looking to get a better quality on streaming, but I’m pretty green on the subject...

On the Hifi I have Apple TV which does stream Tidal but I hear that you can improve the sound by purchasing a bluesound node2i..

I only have wifi in the house, no coax to that amp/room...

I also have an old Mac laptop sitting in the cupboard, could I use this instead? If so what’s the best way to configure to get the best sound..

Happy to spend up to $1500 on it... obviously if I can do it cheaper then that’s good too...

Any advice welcome

Cheers...

Hi, does the streamer need to be a DAC as well? If not at that budget I would recommend the Aries Femto version streamer in the classifieds for $1350. AFAIK the sound quality would be quite superior to your other suggestions. I have one and it works flawlessly on the wifi network(Auralic recommend wifi over Ethernet). Ideally you have an iOS tablet or phone  to run the control app and a good wifi signal where it is going. Connect via RCA, AES/ EBU or USB to your DAC  or CDP ( it will need a digital input) and away you go. 

• Like 1

How confident are you with playing with different components and swapping things, and understanding networking?  It can get complicated quickly, with many newcomers under estimating the learning effort as they chase for better sound.

The Node 2i and the Cambridge Audio CXN are good options for a simplified setup which give good sound. BluOS has one of the better user interfaces, friendly.

In the meantime, why not try the old Mac first?  It may be good enough and you get to learn about how to configure things.

Do you want a fully networked house with multiple music centres?

If not, I’m with Snoopy, why not just dedicate the Mac laptop to tidal in your main listening room. Then it’s very simple - as a start, go direct USB from Mac into your DAC into amp.  You can fiddle with it later if you feel the need. 

If you don’t have a USB dac plenty of them come up in the classifieds for not a lot of money. 

I do this in my second system with a topping d50 - it’s dead easy to set up, works well, and sounds very good.

Edited by buddyev

29 minutes ago, buddyev said:

Then it’s very simple

it’s dead easy to set up

Lately, I have been reluctant to use those words. 

I have been helping a number of people with various computer audio issues and they were lulled by similar words that I previously used.  People have to be comfortable with using a computer and do simple troubleshooting. Otherwise,  jumping into computer audio becomes a messy headache.

22 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Lately, I have been reluctant to use those words. 

I have been helping a number of people with various computer audio issues and they were lulled by similar words that I previously used.  People have to be comfortable with using a computer and do simple troubleshooting. Otherwise,  jumping into computer audio becomes a messy headache.

Ain’t that the truth!

But this is probably the simplest using Tidal and existing kit. 

Thanks for the replies, I’m new to all this digital streaming, so not too sure on what’s the best way to go..

So if I connect the Mac to the system then I should get a similar sound to the bluesound? Is that right?

I’m far from understanding anything more than turning on a laptop and downloading an app... anything else I’ll be getting some assistance...

It would be good to know what’s the best route before spending money on something I don’t really know too much about...

Current I have a mark levinson 334 connected to an onkyo home cinema amp NR906, which I’m using as a Pre amp... reason for this is I can play Foxtel and Apple TV to my amp and I’m running genesis 5 speakers...

I’m not planning on streaming to other rooms in the house, but like a fool I didn’t set up cat 5 cabling into my mancave as I never really looked at streaming and mainly played vinyl....

So, if you think Mac will work, is there an app to control it off the phone or iPad? What’s the best USB connection or similar to use for this application?

Thanks again for your help, it’s a bloody minefield out there....

I know little about the fruit company, so will let Russ @buddyev guide you to setting up the Mac.  See how you go...

If you are uncomfortable with setting up the Mac, then suggest the Node 2i, which is on the much easier side to setup and use.  I am guessing that the Node 2i may sound better. 

Unfortunately, it can be a minefield for those who are unfamiliar with computer audio.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, chubbsr1 said:

Thanks I did message him in it but haven’t heard back as yet? By the time I pay postage is it worth $300, when I can buy the latest and greatest one for $900??

If it is for a trial and you change your mind because it either sounds poor or is too difficult to use, then you lose less in the process with a used unit. Just giving you options....

• Like 2

14 hours ago, chubbsr1 said:

That’s very true.... I’d like to think I can get some good advice from some fellow enthusiasts and hopefully make the right decision based on some good old forum knowledge...

While we can provide advice, we are not there physically to help you with your setup (though a nice bottle of red may tempt someone in Brissy ? ). 

Back to your original question on whether the Node 2i is better than the Apple TV and Mac. Node2i and Mac require setting up which puts it behind the Apple TV. I am reluctant to say Node 2i is definitely better in sound quality because I do not have any Apple products.  I think so, but is it enough for you to jump into the new world of computer audio to find out yourself?

Thinking about the biggest bang for your buck and to address more than just one potential limiting factor of your system.

Grab this W4S DAC 2 which has HT Bypass so can be put in between you 906 and your power amp.

Grab a Node 2 second hand for around $500

When you listen to Foxtel and the ATV you just use your 906 as you have been doing.

When you listen to your Node 2 you output via coax digital in to the DAC2 and use it as DAC & Pre which would give you a cleaner signal than going through the 906.

All that for well under your budget, the DAC2 should sound better than the internal DACs of the Node 2 too.

To start you could even grab the DAC2 and use it as a DAC via USB from your Mac which may be even enough for you long term.

Oops just realised the DAC 2 may be sold, but you get the idea..........

Edited by Hi-Fi Whipped

1 hour ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Thinking about the biggest bang for your buck and to address more than just one potential limiting factor of your system.

Grab this W4S DAC 2 which has HT Bypass so can be put in between you 906 and your power amp.

Grab a Node 2 second hand for around $500

When you listen to Foxtel and the ATV you just use your 906 as you have been doing.

When you listen to your Node 2 you output via coax digital in to the DAC2 and use it as DAC & Pre which would give you a cleaner signal than going through the 906.

All that for well under your budget, the DAC2 should sound better than the internal DACs of the Node 2 too.

To start you could even grab the DAC2 and use it as a DAC via USB from your Mac which may be even enough for you long term.

Oops just realised the DAC 2 may be sold, but you get the idea..........

OP is not yet comfortable with digital and computer audio.  Suggesting more bits will make it even more complicated, making it harder to change.

34 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

OP is not yet comfortable with digital and computer audio.  Suggesting more bits will make it even more complicated, making it harder to change.

hmmm ok with a $1500 budget there's room for more than one bit, just fast tracking to where the OP may end up in 6 months if he keeps hanging around here but understand it can be hard to follow.

But agree of you want to start with one bit the Bluesound Node would be the pick, given the budget and common sense id still be looking at a a used Node 2 for $500.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, yep, there is defiantly some reading up on this digital music... I’ll probably opt for a node 2 whilst I get my head round it all.. that was it seems pretty easy to stream... more dummy proof let’s say... then I can move from there if I think it needs some improvement...

• Like 1