Show us your Pre Amps....

I'll start with a couple of DIY pre amps......

The top one is a DIYAudio B1 NuTube, designed by Nelson Pass.

The one one the bottom is an Elekit TU-8500 valve pre.

IMG_0084.thumb.JPG.381d1a7c79a7e6e5c4e165efbc4b2808.JPG

• Like 9

Elektra Pnyx.

Very happy with it and it was a big leap forward in SQ from my previous pre. But it was bought at a time when i was still using multiple sources frequently - vinyl, tuner, CD, Dac - and I’m not sure it’s the best thing for a system with a single digital source.

B7B1F3D2-3F59-4F76-87A1-2E257C0555D7.thumb.jpeg.53010d3203a67719370d4f0776597456.jpeg

Edited by buddyev
  • Like 9

Guest Misterioso

Good topic.

Ever since I tried a relatively modest 2nd hand preamp between a dac and active speakers, I have been convinced of their sonic benefits. I moved up from a BAT VK-10 to a MF M8 Pre and finally a Mola Mola Makua. Important criteria were a low output impedance via XLR and built-in top quality dac and phono stage modules to keep the system simple. My most expensive hifi product ever, but I am very happy with it. The Makua connects to Quested V2108 active monitors.

Makua_20191012_0003.thumb.jpg.8dfcf186e64f8bb3521088ea034ed08d.jpg

2 hours ago, Batty said:

Who would have thought Pre amps would be so popular.

They are essential in bringing dynamics and dimension to your music. 

These are my two favourite preamps after trying out quite a few over the years ...Supratek Cortese valve and Bakoon Satri solid state circuit.

24E5959C-4D1E-42E4-BA37-3D8F0E354F84.jpeg

376A3B1B-24C2-4ADD-92A4-8165E6355E10.jpeg

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, PKay said:

Does that mean 2 remotes for volume control?

only one remote... there is a cat link between the two unit to synch remote function and other adjustments

• Like 1

conrad-johnson GAT preamplifier.   my reference for 8 years - others have come and gone - GAT has stayed the course - GATS2 upgrade awaits at some stage.

One of the few preamps with full tape loop - enables easy insertion of eq into playback or pure direct sound - best of both worlds. drives ss or tube amps to their best

cZV9XyT.jpg

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

My Croft "Vitale" (original edition, 1980's?), the left side is cropped in the photo.  Hand-built in the UK.

I like the 1950's styling.  The logo under the knobs lights up in red when the power's on.  The knobs are tarnished, I will eventually strip and re-polish at some stage.  It's a nice-sounding (to my ears) 3-valve design with MC phono. 

Front.JPG.dd1a1940bacb8bd23abe27e0cf4f4e79.JPG

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

My Croft "Vitale" (original edition), the left side is cropped in the photo.  Hand-built in the UK.

I like the 1950's styling.  The logo under the knobs lights up in red when the power's on.  The knobs are tarnished, I will eventually strip and re-polish at some stage.  It's a nice 3-valve design with MC phono. 

I agree, lovely minimalist styling from the golden age :)      How do they do MC with only 3 valves? Step-up transformer?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aussievintage said:

I agree, lovely minimalist styling from the golden age :)      How do they (Croft) do MC with only 3 valves? Step-up transformer?

I'm not sure, as I only have very basic technical knowledge.  Inside pic below.  This is the info I have on the valves:

- The line uses a Mullard 12AT7WA   [aka ECC81], Glen Croft told me that the  12AX7A / ECC83 would have higher gain (the volume is OK with this valve).

- The two Phono valves are 6201, however Glen Croft said it should be a ECC83, the 6201 would have lower gain.

I haven't tried any tube rolling yet.  I'm open to some suggestions for me to try in the future.  I've done some other improvements, eg upgraded the RCA sockets, and have a high-grade selector switch to install (the current one looks like the basic Jacar switch).  I've read that Glen has serviced this model to come up to his current model's specs, but I don't want to send the amp to the UK for him to do it and he wouldn't tell me what's required to do it myself. 

I'd also be interested in comments from valve-amp buffs on what they see in here.

986378642_Overallinside.JPG.ccfee24b03d61b143ed238196620dd0f.JPG

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 1

I found this on Vinyl engine

Hi, I own the basic model of the Croft Vitale and it was my first valve/tube pre/phono amp.  It's place as my main valve/tube pre-amp was recently replaced, although I must add that I have retained it as my tube phono stage.   Since it was my first and only tube phono amp I'm afraid I don't have anything else to compare it with :P although I must add that IMHO the standard of the passive parts inside are rather run of the mill and should be replaced with better ones for improved performance. One more thing, the phono stage can only handle MM or high-output MC cartridges and you will need a head-amp or a step-up transformer if your cartridge output is below 0.5mV.

Not sure what model you or he had, but maybe it's really MM ?

Edited by aussievintage

1 hour ago, audiofeline said:

I'd also be interested in comments from valve-amp buffs on what they see in here.

Another thought, you have the rings on the line amp valve it appears.   As the phono preamp undergoes more amplification, it might be better to put them on those as well?

The setup seems to be similar to what I use by the way.  I just have an buffer/gain stage.