The Phonocut - cut your own albums

Just yesterday I was contemplating the advantage of tapes over vinyl being the ability to record a custom tape, and how it would be cool to be able to do this with vinyl - custom vinyl with songs of significance to you.

However, I don't see this being anything more than a plaything for the really cashed up. Blank vinyl cost I reckon will be high, device itself is pricey, there's no great demand as in the case of tapes back in the day (80s, 90s) music taped of FM, other tapes, CDs - allsorts - which really helped spread the word and increase music access among kids, proto bands, fan bases. And if I understand correctly - only limited to 10"?

Still a nice thought.

15 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Sheesh, they claim "The Phonocut is the first consumer device capable of making records in the space of minutes.   but there have been cutting machines since back in the old 78 era.

I did not know this.....for a wide consumer access/consumption?

Just now, zippi said:

I did not know this.....for a wide consumer access/consumption?

I think so.  The tech was even used for dictaphones back on wax cylinders.

There was a movie about people using one to record music driving across the country (America I presume)

https://www.78rpmcommunity.com/2019/02/28/the-78rpm-project-movie/

movie_project-567x381.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andrews_melb said:

@audiofeline nice find, looks like the operator is blowing the dust/cuttings away from the unit...

He is brushing away the "swarf", which is what the cutting head cuts from the surface of the disk (or cylinder in this case) to create the groove.  There are videos of ols disk cutters where they are brushing this off flat disk lathes as the record is cut.  On modern lathes there is a vacuum to suck it out of the way.

Bit more professional here than the product in the OP but I found this mini-doco really cool. I'd love to cut my own music to record/dubplate and bootleg some of my alltime favourite albums that have never seen a vinyl release.

• 2 years later...

I just stumbled upon the story of this "Phonocut" machine. 

They were in pre-production after securing almost half a million euros and they still haven't sent one to a customer. In fact they reckon the earliest that will happen is 2024! Geez, you'd have to be a big supporter of them or extremely patient, to wait 5+ years. 

It's also going to cost way more than the original estimate lol. That may be a lure for buyers of pre-ordered units though.

It's an interesting case of pipe dreaming, and probably quite prevalent these days with kickstarter et al existing.

https://phonocut.com/blogs/news/update-january-7th-2022

• Like 1

pipe dreaming, smoking, licking, spinning, it's the vibe you know man...

no mention of the sense of reality however

“Digital has a big problem, you know — it’s not real,” Kaps said. “You can very easily access it, but you only can see it, or you can hear it. You never can lick it, you cannot smell it, and you can’t touch it. We human beings do have these five senses. And at the end of the day, we need all these five senses to fall in love, to feel happy, to build trust.”

• Like 1