Flash

Return to vinyl - new turntable

Hi all

I’ve been absent for a long time.  
I am pretty keen to start rebuilding my vinyl collection.  In doing so, a turntable is a bit of a requirement.  I dragged my old Rotel RP-300 (with Pickering XV-15 cart) out of mothballs the other day.  It’s in serious need of some loving.  The tonearm reservoir is obviously down, as it lowers too quickly, and the belt will likely need replacing. The most disappointing thing is that the platter has some corrosion/oxidation around the rim. 

I’m considering cutting my losses and stumping up for a new unit. 
On that, the two models I have under most serious consideration are:

-Denon DP-400
and 

-Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

I'm leaning toward the Denon, but open to any suggestions. 
It’ll be paired with a Cayin CS-55a (KT88). 

Thanks in advance 

Scott

My brother used to have one of those Rotel tables.    That cart is a good one and you can get great aftermarket upgrade styluses for it.

Of the two new tables you mention, just looking at them on the web, yes, the Denon seems the better of the two.

Hi Flash

If you happen to be near Cygnet, drop the turntable off to me and I will restore it to it's former glory (if possible).

It's what I do.

Send me a PM if interested.

Aussievintage, I can thank my dearly departed grandmother for the cart.  Who knew she was such an audiophile, hehe.  Bless her!

Much appreciated Wartman.  You’re at the wrong end of the state (wouldn’t be me), but I’ll keep your offer in mind for when I make a decision as to what to do.  Thanks again

Hi Flash,

I wouldn’t dissuade you from the Denon, especially because I haven’t heard it, but I have used the Project Carbon Debut for some time in my office system and it performed very well, particularly with a tube phono stage and a tube integrated amplifier.  I reckon further improvements would have been delivered by the Garrott K1 cartridge I now use.  I have currently substituted my Project with an old model Rega Planar 2 to combine aesthetics with some older world charm and system matching.

Good luck with the journey. 

C05C97E4-9E7A-4007-B3A9-8513F01B5998.jpeg

Thanks for that KRSDarwin. 
I’ll definitely take that on board.  I guess one of my reasons for leaning toward the Denon is the ease of headshell (hence cartridge) removal.  I’d probably swap the stock cartridge out for the Pickering. 
I have thought about a seperate phono stage, but for now I’ll just use the internal one on the CS-55a amp. 

As an aside, love your taste in music. I lost my copy of Kind of Blue, but an original pressing of Sketches of Spain survived when a lot of my collection “went missing”.  
I’d be interested to know what you think of Doo-Bop?  It’s very different, but I don’t mind it. 

Hi Flash,

I struggle a bit with Miles Davis generally, but even more so with his later stuff, including Doo Bop.  My go is generally Brubeck, Evans, Pepper or Mulligan but always looking to explore and increase my understanding. 

I do agree with your headshell comment, having just fitted my Garrott K1 to a Linn Basik headshell. 

Cheers

Edited by KRSDarwin

@KRSDarwin how do you find you Rega compares to the Project Carbon Debut?

Hi Wen,

In a straight shootout the Project Carbon Debut would be the winner over the decades old Rega Planar 2 (note I have the old (original) Planar 2 with a Linn Basik LV V arm and Denon headshell modified by earlier owner with Tangospinner Astor sub platter and Herbies mat - photo below), more authoritative and detail.  However the gap narrowed noticeably with the Garrott K1 cartridge installed in the Planar 2 and the Planar 2 suits the rest of my system. 

Cheers

0EB1D5E4-B9D3-4DEF-9D04-F09B000C2202.jpeg

B2B23DEE-4435-4349-9532-091087C14784.jpeg

On 18/10/2019 at 12:39 AM, KRSDarwin said:

I struggle a bit with Miles Davis generally, but even more so with his later stuff, including Doo Bop.  My go is generally Brubeck, Evans, Pepper or Mulligan but always looking to explore and increase my understanding. 

Do-Bop, I can handle, as I can still isolate the horn.  Rubberband loses me completely though. 
I can’t be critical of that list of names!  Do you have a sax background?  Mine is trumpet, which is why I gravitate more towards Miles I guess.  I can tune everything else out, and just hear the horn.  I have occasional similar struggles to you but with Coltrane. 

Do you know of Andrea Motis?  Spanish, beautiful voice, plays horn, and cute as a button to boot, haha.  If not, try Summertime, with Joan Chamorro (arrangement genius). 
Sheesh, derailment.  At least it’s my own thread I guess, haha. 

How do you go with your tubes being quite confined, temperature wise? My KT88’s put out enough heat to warm a small room. 

So, I’ve had a bit of a mind change.  After doing a bit of research, I’ve nearly set myself on a Rega Planar.  Most likely the P2, unless I stumble across someone with a crazy pre Christmas sale on a P3. 
I’d probably stick with the basic Carbon cart, and maybe swap it out for my Pickering XV-15. 

Thoughts anyone?

Edited by Flash

Give the Audio Technica cartridges a look in. Generally at any price point in the range they perform admirably.

On 05/11/2019 at 12:41 PM, Flash said:

So, I’ve had a bit of a mind change.  After doing a bit of research, I’ve nearly set myself on a Rega Planar.  Most likely the P2, unless I stumble across someone with a crazy pre Christmas sale on a P3. 
I’d probably stick with the basic Carbon cart, and maybe swap it out for my Pickering XV-15. 

Thoughts anyone?

Theres a couple of P3's in the Classifieds ATM.

Are you looking at a new P2 seriously consider the AT VM Cartridge range the new Rega RB220  tonearm is preset to track at around 2 grams and unless you want to use magnets or other little tricks you will find on other forums you will have issues with most carts I found this out myself - the AT VM carts have a recommended tracking of 1.8 and 2.2 and and solved all my issues - google new Rega skipping anti skate issues 

Edited by fodderstomf

I can vouch for the Debut Carbon albeit modded somewhat (as you do in this game) with an acrylic platter and 2M Bronze cart. Sounded fantastic, although I can see the sense in investing up the food chain. Just my 2c

I biased (being a Rega man) but they are well built and the three bolt design makes swapping out carts a breeze - as long as you use Rega carts that is.
There are always people upgrading so I’d keep an eye on the classifieds here. You’ll get great bang for buck buying second hand.
Incidentally, I’ve sold two Rega tables on here, and they both went to the same buyer.