Server / Streamer options in the 5-10 k range.

Gday SNA,

I am pretty new to the music server/streamer game. I have had a Sony HAP-Z1ES for a couple of years now. I am generally pretty happy with its performance, but... I have just put a deposit on the Kii Audio Three and BXT system. So I am just a bit worried the Sony may be out of its company from a  performance perspective with the Kii system.

Does anybody have experience in the price range ?

The models I think are the likely options are;

1. innuous (Zenith Mkiii)

2.Antipodes (EX or CX?). - quite expensive..

3. Aurender (N100 ?)

4. lumin (quite a few options)

5. Roon Nucleus (I place this last as I don’t like the idea of having to pay for software).

I like that the Innuous has a disk drive/ripper.

Ultimately I am after the best sound possible in this range, but it would be really helpful if it could rip a CD and download stuff directly from the web from HD Tracks or similar without the need to involve a pc. 

Any advice appreciated.

Ray

Edited by Ray H
  • Love 1

Hi Ray.

The Sony wony wont be "out of its depth" as you put it.  There are improvements to be have through optimising servers/streamers and anything pre-DAC.  Note that improvements can be subtle though, nowhere near the change in SQ you will hear from your new kii BXT system.

I would advise living with the system for a while before trying a few options.  Plenty of choices out there.  NAS storage with an ultra-Rendu streamer is a great choice imo.  The Antipodes CX+EX is an ultimate end-game choice (for now at least).

• Like 2

Thanks Stereophilus,

Yes I will live with the Sony for a while and let the wallet recover from the Kii purchase.

I saw the Antipodes as a combo on the Sonic Purity page and couldn’t work out why, because I assumed they were both Server/Streamers in their own right ?? What is the difference ?

And are the Antipodes available in silver ?

Thanks again for the quick and concise response, it’s much appreciated.

Ray

I wouldn't rule out running Roon because you have to pay for software. At $700 or so AUD for a lifetime licence, the cost is immaterial in comparison to what you are prepared to pay for the streamer itself.

I am currently in my free phase of Roon, having moved from Aurender. There are a lot of things to like about it so far, although I am yet to fully work through to see if there is anything missing that I had with Aurender.

Note, Roon works with the Innuos, and I think the Antipodes as well (but check that one)

• Like 1

Thanks Mark,

Yes I agree it’s not a lot in the scheme of the system, to me it’s more the fact that you are relying on one company and one piece of software, ie the chance the company goes out of business etc. I would like something with more redundancy.  Shallow also I know but the Roon looks physically a bit weird to me, ie, it could be a heater, toaster etc. a bit OTT, but hopefully;y you get the drift.

thanks ,

Ray

44 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Thanks Stereophilus,

Yes I will live with the Sony for a while and let the wallet recover from the Kii purchase.

I saw the Antipodes as a combo on the Sonic Purity page and couldn’t work out why, because I assumed they were both Server/Streamers in their own right ?? What is the difference ?

And are the Antipodes available in silver ?

Thanks again for the quick and concise response, it’s much appreciated.

Ray

Yes, silver or black.  The combination CX+EX allows the CX to be a dedicated server and the EX to be a dedicated renderer.  Separating these 2 duties and isolating them with an ethernet connection (CX to EX) improves SQ.  Or at least that is the claim and also what i found in practice in my system.

Maybe have a look at the antipodes website for more information.

https://antipodes.audio/

Antipodes run best with Roon imo.

• Like 1

can't offer any advice.... but equally keen to find out.... my sentiment exactly..... quite a cost for the antipodes combo but cheap compared to some analogue systems..... however being dependent on software support to keep a product operating is my worry ...... to be clear..... everything I've read indicates excellent support from antipodes.... 

• Like 1

Many options for streamers which are cheaper and arguably just as good.

If you do not want to fiddle, suggest also looking at SOtM Sms-200 Ultra, UltraRendu and pair  either with good LPSU.

If you can manage it, a Linux based Intel NUC, running AudioLinux, Euphony Audio. These are the dark horses with some people claiming they can beat all of the above and OP's list. However, requires some technical  (not deep) know how to tweak things

• Like 1

Hi @Ray H as you know I too was a Sony HAP owner and I still think that unit is one of the most underrated music players out there. I did however move on from it for one simple reason - Roon - or lack thereof. I just love the software and despite how good the Sony was and indeed even it's app, Roon won me over. So, sold the Sony and bought a Nucleus.

We use the Kii Threes with a Roon Nucleus connected directly to it via USB at work. Lovely minimalist, awesome sounding system.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Hi @Ray H as you know I too was a Sony HAP owner and I still think that unit is one of the most underrated music players out there. I did however move on from it for one simple reason - Roon - or lack thereof. I just love the software and despite how good the Sony was and indeed even it's app, Roon won me over. So, sold the Sony and bought a Nucleus.

We use the Kii Threes with a Roon Nucleus connected directly to it via USB at work. Lovely minimalist, awesome sounding system.

Thanks mate, do you know if there is a sound quality difference between the Nucleus and Nucleus +  ?

Just now, Ray H said:

Thanks mate, do you know if there is a sound quality difference between the Nucleus and Nucleus +  ?

None whatsoever.

I use the Nucleus to feed three zones (with various DSP and convolution applied) and it never runs out of steam.

• Like 1

There is a revised model about to land (we have some coming) that has the same internals, but now accommodates different height internal SSD drives. The newer version also has a redesigned chassis - looks the same except its wider and not as tall (like someone put a large weight on top of it and squashed it!)

This is another option>>> Click

Review 1>>Click

Review2(older model but essentially the same and a lot more detail)>> Click

The app that runs it all is very good but read the two reviews as they say everything that needs to be said better than I could. Myself and another couple of members have the latest model and it does the business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray H said:

It is not difficult to get an Intel NUC and download the Roon image. A lot cheaper and have more flexibility to configure to suit, upgrade.

• Like 2

There is an older antipodes, and an aurrender in the classifieds now -

And aurrender in the commercial section.

The antipodes can still be updated to generation 3 internals (behind the current separates, but it does do all the ripping etc). Still a great system. I have the older version 1 (upgraded to version 2). Tried an auralic aries at a time when I didn't really understand the importance of cables, and my dac etc, and didnt like it enough. Mainly though it is not software is not platform agnostic.

I control my antipodes via roon, it's very easy, and if they go out of business then there are multiple other software systems that can be loaded/used by it. Don't know if it is the best around, but it works quite seamlessly!

• Like 1

The Antipodes CX and EX servers do not have in-built optical drives for CD ripping. However a DVD  drive such as the one in the link below can be USB-connected to CX or EX, will be recognised by the software, and will rip to the server's internal music library SSD:

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/DVWLGP70/LG-GP70NS50-SuperMulti-Blade-8X-Portable-DVD-Write?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxKH2qq2S5QIVjiQrCh18zwIcEAAYASAAEgK6yfD_BwE

4 hours ago, TD19 said:

The Antipodes CX and EX servers do not have in-built optical drives for CD ripping. However a DVD  drive such as the one in the link below can be USB-connected to CX or EX, will be recognised by the software, and will rip to the server's internal music library SSD:

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/DVWLGP70/LG-GP70NS50-SuperMulti-Blade-8X-Portable-DVD-Write?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxKH2qq2S5QIVjiQrCh18zwIcEAAYASAAEgK6yfD_BwE

Yes, the Sony does that, it happened a year or so ago, they have been pretty good with software updates. It’s a very handy feature for me, so another plus for the Antipodes. I noticed they sold a seperate burner/platform, but it’s around $1000.

22 hours ago, Ray H said:

Thanks @Luc

Had not heard of that one, will add to the list. Looks like it has a lot of the easy functionality I was after.

It's a very easy thing to live with and control. I went through a SBT, then a bluesound node 2 and tried a couple of dyi type models and the a member here showed me his and just what you could do with it and it's simplicity won me over.

You can go simple with it or you can go full on nerdy with it if you want.

The metadata retrieval and access is very very good. You can get all the matching artwork you want for your albums so you can display and click and the streaming services and third party apps you can link it with if your of a mind are endless.

You can buy it dac-less and you can upgrade to a separate PSU if you wish. The CD burner is a breeze and unobtrusive.

IMG_20191011_200807153.thumb.jpg.cf3a9342c8c52c2fcfe7342cc978582d.jpg

That's it with the blue light behind the door

IMG_20191011_200922026.thumb.jpg.429c51c33cbd592b24a3b9f3119f88dd.jpg

Door open and the tiny black box on the top is the separate burner, which can be placed anywhere really, it's just there because I forgot it was there. Once you burn all your CDs you hardly use it

IMG_20191011_201146987.thumb.jpg.4915489b7692141a9cab908e6d055536.jpg

That's the app that comes with it and I'm using a iPad Mini to control it throughout the house and also while I'm outside in the garden.

I've only touched upon the many things it does but at the level I'm using it at it's a very easy thing to fall for.

It's available to anyone I let in my network via their ph or laptop ect

Third party apps link in with it seamlessly so far. Spotify,Tidal and some others that visitors had but I've forgotten the names.

Is ticking all my boxes at the moment and I got it new at a very very good retail price from the local Melbourne/Australia wide agent.

• Like 4

It is probably worth noting that the Roon Nucleus and Nucleus plus are sort of different to the rest, in that they are designed to be the roon server, and send off the music to end points around you house. If you are worried about Roon itself as a cost, whilst there is never any guarantee that a company will last forever (Thomas Cook for example), the real cost is in the work you put in to burn or download your music, which takes ages, and rapidly becomes very painful. The stored files are not part of Roon, they are just accessed and indexed by it, so if Roon goes belly up, you can move onto the next greatest thing. I would be hesitant to buy a unit with an integrated CD burner, as I cooked one apple CD burner and have partially cooked another in the process of burning- it is a fair bit more high powered than just playing the CDs at regular speed. 

Good luck with your buying, though I would agree with the previous poster who recommended living with your current Sony to see how your needs stack up with your new set up.

Justin

• Like 1

Thanks @Luc and @Juzbear, and all 0f the other posters.

The piccolo plus definitely seems like a good device worth extra investigation. That Sansui is a beautiful thing to look  at...

I agree juzzbear, the Innuous interested me, but agree regards the inbuilt drive. The Sony just uses a cheap external drive via its 1 USB, which is good but it would have be nice if it had more than 1 usb (ie if you want to rip a CD you can’t use the USB to send an signal to another device because it only has one.I agree I might live with the Sony and the Kii for a while before making the decision.

1 hour ago, Ray H said:

I agree I might live with the Sony and the Kii for a while before making the decision.

That is a good decision.

One thing you might want to consider also is on-going support of the product. I found SOtM's support to be very good and had an engineer go into my system remotely to assist. In contrast, I know of another O/S vendor, who shall remain nameless, initially asked for over $300 to install and test a new Win driver. That streamer is in your price bracket. That vendor, after much to and fro, agreed to get the Aust distributor to do it for free.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray H said:

Thanks @Luc and @Juzbear, and all 0f the other posters.

The piccolo plus definitely seems like a good device worth extra investigation. That Sansui is a beautiful thing to look  at...

I agree juzzbear, the Innuous interested me, but agree regards the inbuilt drive. The Sony just uses a cheap external drive via its 1 USB, which is good but it would have be nice if it had more than 1 usb (ie if you want to rip a CD you can’t use the USB to send an signal to another device because it only has one.I agree I might live with the Sony and the Kii for a while before making the decision.

Buy an Innuos...their customer service is top notch.

I have their first streamer....built around 6 years ago with CD ripper...still going.

• Like 2