BD 105 Stereo Audio problem

I have a BD105 that I occasionally use for CD only.

Haven't used it for probably 2 years, I fired it up recently, 2 channel stereo only, and it sounds dreadful.

Vocals are way recessed and echoing terribly but the rest of the audio track sounds ok. 

Thought it might be a dirty lens so I purchased a cleaning DVD but it made no difference. They might be total rubbish?

I connected via the multi channel as well that was the same so I briefly tried it via HDMI on the TV and that sounded ok which is confusing.

Any ideas? 

Still possibly dirty or mis aligned laser????

If different cables don't help, try:

1. Different input on your amp
  2. Full reset and clear memory, then power off at the wall for 10+ minutes. These sometimes need the equivalent of a computer reboot.

If the above don't work, then sounds like the internal DAC is failing. :(

2 hours ago, Zodiac-12 said:

I don't think it's Laser problem. Have you try different RCA cable? Caused if it the Laser problem then all the output SOUND will be affected not just the analogue output. :thumb:

I haven't tried a different cable but it works perfectly on my other CD player so I don't think it's that, its a weird one. 

1 hour ago, Decky said:

Not a laser problem. Are you using XLR or SE cables? Check the connection first, if that is OK someone would need to look inside. 

Connection is perfect, have swapped between CD players and it works fine on the other player./ Agreed, I think the problem is inside sadly.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

2. Full reset and clear memory, then power off at the wall for 10+ minutes. These sometimes need the equivalent of a computer reboot.

I even changed amp, same result. Prognosis not good ?

How come its OK via HDMI though, that's the bit I don't get? If the DAC was failing, it would be failing across all the audio would it not.

Edited by Richard Cranium

1 minute ago, Richard Cranium said:

I even changed amps, same result. Prognosis not good ?

Yes, if you've done the reset / memory clear / power off then it does sound like the DAC board is dying unfortunately.

Just now, Richard Cranium said:

?

You could contact Interdyn or Oppo to get a quote for repair. I'd try both - Oppo may be prepared to sell you a DAC board for a self install if you're comfortable with that (they should be able to confirm the problem if you describe the issue and troubleshooting steps you've tried).

Just now, Quark said:

You could contact Interdyn or Oppo to get a quote for repair. I'd try both - Oppo may be prepared to sell you a DAC board for a self install if you're comfortable with that (they should be able to confirm the problem if you describe the issue and troubleshooting steps you've tried).

Thanks Quark, that's a good idea. I'd be comfortable having a crack, cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I think a full reset to factory defaults is a good idea.

The issue sounds similar to one I've had when a device is applying pro-logic processing to material that is not encoded.

9 minutes ago, surprisetech said:

I think a full reset to factory defaults is a good idea.

The issue sounds similar to one I've had when a device is applying pro-logic processing to material that is not encoded.

I haven't done the full reset yet so I will do that before anything else.

What your saying makes sense, if it was the DAC board wouldn't the HDMI be playing up as well? I'll try that first, if that's no good I might crack it open and see what I can see. Failing all that, it's back to Oppo I go.

28 minutes ago, Richard Cranium said:

I haven't done the full reset yet so I will do that before anything else.

What your saying makes sense, if it was the DAC board wouldn't the HDMI be playing up as well? I'll try that first, if that's no good I might crack it open and see what I can see. Failing all that, it's back to Oppo I go.

The DAC board is for analog output and won't affect HDMI output. I've had similar issues to yours with a BDP95 that was fixed with the combination of full reset and clear memory, then power off at the wall for 10+ minutes. Doing only the reset didn't fix it - do the whole combination and wait 10+ minutes before turning the power back on (even to standby).

• Thanks 1

Just now, Quark said:

The DAC board is for analog output and won't affect HDMI output. I've had similar issues to yours with a BDP95 that was fixed with the combination of full reset and clear memory, then power off at the wall for 10+ minutes. Doing only the reset didn't fix it - do the whole combination and wait 10+ minutes before turning the power back on (even to standby).

Cant wait to get home and try all that!!

I'll let you know how I go, fingers, toes, legs, arms, gonads, all crossed ?

• Like 1

We'll.

Got home, did the full reset. Hit the go button on a CD and OMG it was considerably worse. Extremely muffled and  distorted, beyond bad, much much worse than yesterday!

Then  about 40 seconds in while I'm standing there totally confused, bam- a loud click and it suddenly came right!

I'm lost but it know sounds fine....all though my memory tells me it should sound better, but it's 200 times better than it was and I think...back to normal.

Confused? Absolutely.

Edited by Richard Cranium
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Richard Cranium said:

We'll.

Got home, did the full reset. Hit the go button on a CD and OMG it was considerably worse. Extremely muffled and  distorted, beyond bad, much much worse than yesterday!

Then  about 40 seconds in while I'm standing there totally confused, bam- a loud click and it suddenly came right!

I'm lost but it know sounds fine....all though my memory tells me it should sound better, but it's 200 times better than it was and I think...back to normal.

Confused? Absolutely.

Possibly a stuck muting relay at the output that decided to live again. Happy listening!

• Thanks 1