Here’s what’s behind the comeback of vinyl and printed photos

The key paragraphs below are attached below for those that are not interested in the details from alternet.org article or the original source article that is more academic and entitled "Innovations and technological comebacks"

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0167811617300800

https://www.alternet.org/2019/10/heres-whats-behind-the-comeback-of-vinyl-and-printed-photos/

In 1998, vinyl represented only 0.7% of the total music industry revenues.

Why did consumers start to abandon vinyl and cassettes? Because compact discs are more resistant to scratches. Because they are simply more practical, easier to store, and easier to switch to the song you want to listen to. Because compact discs were sold to them as of superior sound quality: they can in theory emulate the sound of vinyl to a sampling rate indistinguishable from the original to the human ear while being able to reproduce more extreme frequencies (purists disagree).

Three decades later, digital music has replaced compact discs. In the US, the streaming industry accounts for 80% of music industry revenues. Looking back at the criteria that made the vinyl obsolete, the current streaming technology outperforms compact discs in every dimension: high sound quality and no scratches or storage problems.

The only characteristic on which the compact disc can compete is its physical presence – some people want to possess an object they can touch and display in their home. But on this dimension, it seems vinyl is doing much better than compact discs. Hence, people attracted by the object are more likely to buy a vinyl to complement their digital consumption.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

Typical science people always looking at it wrong.

It is just ......... that it sounds better. :)

Science people just can not wrap their head around subjective preferences. :)

They do state that some “disagree” with  Premise that CD and other digital lossless are equivalent to vinyl.

To be fair this argument isn’t event settled on stereo net.  I am sure someone who has invested in say a Chord Dave DAC would say many of their recordings sound as good as all but the best vinyl setups.  And this doesn’t even get into the argument about shitty quality new vinyl releases

Personally I stream lossless Music and play lots vinyl, and my preference is vinyl in most cases.  But are we the Outliers?

The physical medium of records for me definitely trumps the look and feel of a CD, including such things as size of font and cover art etc on top of the sound quality.

edit: one point that the authors probably miss is a small upturn in trade of second hand CD’s as it is a good compromise medium now that vinyl is going for some stupid prices.  CDS can be had very cheap and likewise CD players are cheap second hand.  CDs can also be ripped and onsold again

Edited by Demondes
  • Like 1

Guest Muon N'

used to pick up nice vinyl records cheap from op shops, not much any more, and not too long ago CDs were flooding op shops and places like cash converters, not so much now, when  streaming is replaced by something else where are people going to find their out of fashion format? :/

:lol:

6 hours ago, Muon N' said:

used to pick up nice vinyl records cheap from op shops, not much any more, and not too long ago CDs were flooding op shops and places like cash converters, not so much now, when  streaming is replaced by something else where are people going to find their out of fashion format? :/

:lol:

In the end...............the CDs were worth more than the players to the junkies flogging them.

These days it's cash and iPad/phones.

35 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Poor players, never got the respect some of them deserved :bye:

Over the decades, some of them stood out and got respect. Marantz CD63(original) Marantz CD94, Meridian 508, Denon DCD1500 etc.

Guest Muon N'
40 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Over the decades, some of them stood out and got respect. Marantz CD63(original) Marantz CD94, Meridian 508, Denon DCD1500 etc.

But not from the thieves that Logic' mentioned ;)

They would take the CD's and leave a Marantz CD 7 behind.

21 hours ago, Demondes said:

I am sure someone who has invested in say a Chord Dave DAC would say many of their recordings sound as good as all but the best vinyl setups.  

I am sure some of them would say better that the best vinyl set-ups.

Guest Muon N'

I prefer a physical media whether it is Vinyl Records, CD's or Cassette Tapes...that's right, Cassettes :D streaming services will come and go, and if the owners of a cloud (off site servers) disappear so might everything I had in the cloud, HDD's die ect'.

37 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

As you get older.......................bigger pictures and text are better.

Not always. As I get older my close up vision has improved. I have worn glasses all my life, but I can now read books, papers, CD booklets etc, quite easily without wearing my glasses. By close up, I mean < 30cm or so. Anything much further away than that still requires glasses.

Anyway, I still prefer physical media, whatever the format.

Guest Muon N'
1 hour ago, emesbee said:

Not always. As I get older my close up vision has improved. I have worn glasses all my life, but I can now read books, papers, CD booklets etc, quite easily without wearing my glasses. By close up, I mean < 30cm or so. Anything much further away than that still requires glasses.

Anyway, I still prefer physical media, whatever the format.

That's amazing!

In a great way :thumb:

34 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

That's amazing!

In a great way :thumb:

Not amazing at all, may actually be quite common. I have been short sighted all my life, and so have worn glasses since the age of 5. As people get older though there seems to be a tendency to become more long sighted. In many people that means they have to start wearing reading glasses for the first time, but in those who are already short sighted it can actually have something of a corrective effect where close up vision is concerned. That is what I believe I am probably experiencing, and a number of my friends around my age who wear glasses have also noticed much the same thing.

Guest Muon N'
17 minutes ago, hired goon said:

I've said it before: if you want pristine sound (like CD), large beautiful covers (like vinyl) and annoying retro packaging (like cassettes) then laserdiscs are yer answer.

Why is there no laserdisc album resurgence? ?

--Geoff 

Too few?

2 hours ago, hired goon said:

I've said it before: if you want pristine sound (like CD), large beautiful covers (like vinyl) and annoying retro packaging (like cassettes) then laserdiscs are yer answer.

Why is there no laserdisc album resurgence? ?

--Geoff 

It's a video format :)