Sign in to follow this  
EZYHD

Xiaomi mijia laser 4k projector

Have a friend building a new house has a 4.5L x 4mW room, he and wife have only seen 1080p PJ and liked it, however she is adamant no PJ on ceiling or coffee table, he sent me this, what you guys think?. (not good for long HDMI Fibre cable business!).

review here..

price wise still doesnt compete imo.. but i only buy 2nd hand 🙂

so its ok to floor mount the laser pj... but not shelf mount the normal pj on the back wall?

cant see it worth the $3000 aust and warranty?

Edited by hopefullguy

and how do the specs standup to current 4k PJ's?.

no idea.. but as he says if you like movie watching in a dark HT room this is not the pj for you. seems to be made for a price point as low as they can squeeze it in, no different to entry viewsonics $1400, benq $2500 and others. stats mean little if you dont see it in your room environment or similar) before buying.

i cant see it selling much in oz at $3000. but i definitely would not be buying from  o/s as i will guess the quality control is fairly average, his test unit was faulty, and sending things back is a cross your fingers situation. saving $500 just not worth it imo.

note: dont have or used 4k, just from research.

11 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

review here..

price wise still doesnt compete imo.. but i only buy 2nd hand 🙂

so its ok to floor mount the laser pj... but not shelf mount the normal pj on the back wall?

cant see it worth the $3000 aust and warranty?

12 hours ago, EZYHD said:

Have a friend building a new house has a 4.5L x 4mW room, he and wife have only seen 1080p PJ and liked it, however she is adamant no PJ on ceiling or coffee table, he sent me this, what you guys think?. (not good for long HDMI Fibre cable business!).

Ultra Short throw (UST) projectors like Xiaomi  were designed for  different scenarios to  the traditional long throw projector.   UST projectors  dont have the same level of performance as traditional types in  darkened theatre rooms, but they are often used with ambient light rejecting screens in non-darkened rooms as a substitute for big screen TV's.   They have built in audio speakers and online connectivity like normal  TVs do.   There are some models sold as large TV's  (100"-110")  with suitable screens included in the package.  The price is not unreasonable considering they  have a powerful laser light engine and 4k chips. 

However,  since UST became a thing in some parts of the world, the price of 85"  4K TVs  have dropped considerably     which makes an attractive alternative to a UST laser projector and 100" screen.  

If they are after a projector for dedicated home theatre use and  have the room for it,  the traditional types of PJ's are the way to go.

Edited by Tasso

+1

These UST "laser" projectors use single chip DLP projection systems that provide very poor contrast and are NOT true 4K, so don't be taken in by marketing BS. An old used decent quality 1080 conventional projector will provide better image quality at lower cost.

They do serve a purpose for those who are just looking for a big screen image at relatively low cost, can't accommodate a convention projector and are not too fussy about picture quality.

On 07/10/2019 at 1:47 PM, EZYHD said:

It's perfect for a small room,it's designed close to the wall, easy setup modern looking & big picture. Also Friends come to the house don't even know there is a PJ in the house.:popcorn::thumb:

I told him buy it but don't blame me if not up to scratch! at least he can get a short cable or two for...nix.