Accurate Headphones

GREAT STUFF! Thanks again Gents! This is music. I can wait to get a binaural set that sounds that good. I may have it in the mail, but we'll see.

On another note, I heard the Shure SE535. Those are serious headphones for shure. ; ^) I might like them better than my Mackie monitors and they are half the price and portable. Still it seems like more than I want to spend for headphones. None the less, if you want to play big, you got to pay big. Many of the custom jobbies are several times the price. I wonder how much better they could actually sound?

Dan

Edited by DanTheMan

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Shures are fairly coloured, with big bass and shelved treble - though fun sounding for sure. Though the new 'S' version of the SE535 I haven't heard.

I have a pair of JH13pros, which are very detailed and quite flat, except for some enhanced deep bass. However, they are not all that much better than my old UE TripleFi10pro, which although coloured, were still very detailed and a lot of fun to listen to.

I wish I would have had more time to listen to those Shures(the 'S' version which I don't think is any different from the last)--it was in between flights at the airport. I can't say anything sounded out of balance, but I know my cheap Shure buds certainly sound bass heavy as do my SRH840 though in different ways. So my reference point was the cheap Shure at the time and they didn't sound as bass heavy as those and just sounded cleaner/clearer/more dynamic in general. All that's just subjective however and a lot more time from headphone music listening would have been valuable. That's why I didn't buy anything. In my mind, they sounded a lot like my Mackies but without the room. Looking at the graphs, they look darn good at least for whatever the average listener is. None of these will be perfect for all unless you get one of the calibrated custom jobbies. In general, I do think Shures tend to be bass heavy. Right now I'm happy adjusting the EQ on my cheapos even though it won't fix everything. At one time, they were the best headphones I had ever heard.

I may have to look into those UEs. They are cheap enough for me to feel like they are worth it for me to try. Thank you again for the insight. It's nice hear the opinion of someone who's been around this ride and I value it. It's a shame, those UEs were just on sale last week.

Dan

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just received my new pair of Shure SE535's before I had a plane flight between Adelaide and Darwin. I just left my pair of Shure SC2's on a flight somewhere and had to replace them with the 535's. A definite step up in quality. A bit more difficult to get into my ears for some reason (maybe it's my ears that are at fault). However, once they're in it actually takes a decent yank to get them out. Sound is uncoloured, and I did not find them bass heavy (Dan's comments above). In fact I think these are more neutral than other headphones, IEMs I have used. I would not hesitate to use them as reference monitors. Sensitivity is excellent as well. Have to make sure the volume on the Ipod is not up too high ...

Am considering getting custom moulds for them.

• 4 weeks later...

The trick with the Shure earphones in controlling bass response is if you want enhanced bass response (or perhaps the "natural" shure presentation of the bass notes) then you make sure that the in-ear attachment to the phones has a gap between the sleeve and the actual body of the phone itself. Letting the sleeve touch the phone body starts to attenuate the bass response and more pressure into the body of the phone will almost eliminate the bass response.

That's my hearing with my SE530's not sure about the later designs.

Cheers

GG

I bet you are right GG. The thing about the top line Apple headphones is that you need to buy the Comply memory foam inserts to get enough bass. I'll say this, I'd rather own the 535(or even 530) just b/c they designed more to a dry room curve looking at the graphs. If you are going to do any spear/studio room convolution mixing on them, they should be ideal if your HRTF is perfectly normal. The Apple would likely be too bright then. For just listening to music walking around town, the iPod upgrades with comply covers are truly a great deal.

The seal has a lot to do with the quantity of bass.

Dan