Sign in to follow this  
Addicted to music

Where to buy real honey in Melb or in other states.

Was at a Farmers Market in Canberra last week, and decided to buy some honey of this store.  The gentleman running the store was nice enough but the Boss questioned why pay $11 for 125g of honey?  when we got home she dipped a tea spoon and realised it had this flowery taste and it wasn't all that sweet!  well there you go honey; honey isn't honey!   Today we bought of a 1kg Jar with the label that saids 100% Raw Australian Honey....  did it taste different to the Aldi own brand?  there was a slight difference but boy you couldn't tell as both the Aldi and the 1kg 100% Raw Australian Honey was that sweet, however the 125g we got from the Farmers Market in Canberra with no label tasted that different that I'm seeking out where to get real honey like this in Melb.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/consumer-affairs/capilano-supermarkets-accused-of-selling-fake-honey-20180827-p5000u.html

I can hook you up. Straight off the hive.

PM me if interested.

Yeah................I got a mate South Coast NSW.

Gets stung a lot!

I have 2 hives of Australian stingless bees 

Absolutely beautiful honey that tastes of the flowers they have been collecting pollen from 

5 minutes ago, Full Range said:

I have 2 hives of Australian stingless bees 

Absolutely beautiful honey that tastes of the flowers they have been collecting pollen from 

Don't get much from them.............................I got three hives now on my garage!

4 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Don't get much from them.............................I got three hives now on my garage!

My friend makes special hives with 3 storey honey hoppers 

Posted (edited)

Varies depending on the plants the nectar is collected from, so that flowery and not as sweet taste is likely just this. Also depends on the honey it is being compared to and the source of it.

And also that debacle in the OP link.

Likely nothing you bee keepers already know though :$

Mmm...love the Blue Banded Bee, for looks :)

BBB1.jpg.14185b598968cc8b92fe410e84aa18f9.jpgBBB.jpg.702657aabdbd595059c26871f969e5a0.jpg

Edited by Muon N'

Mine are long skinny things......................I originally thought they were wasps but they are making sweet honey for themselves.

Only a few species of Aussie bees are stingless............................and these haven't stung me yet...........................even when I had to dump a nest to install some more solar panels!

(that's when they split into three)

Here is a photo of one of my Australian Native bees 

6FCB5CAC-2E77-4761-A21A-1C110401810B.jpeg

Any of the local farmers markets.. that’s where we buy ours from :)

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Full Range said:

Here is a photo of one of my Australian Native bees 

6FCB5CAC-2E77-4761-A21A-1C110401810B.jpeg

Hey fullrange, I use to see that species all year round in Melb eastern suburbs where I grew up...   don’t see that type now since I moved to the west.

Edited by Addicted to music

3 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Hey fullrange, I use to see that species all year round in Melb eastern suburbs where I grew up...   don’t see that type now since I moved to the west.

They don’t get out of bed unless the temperature is 23 deg Celsius 

I think these are called Austroplebeia Australis 

They belong to the TETRAGONULA family 

Lot of local producers sell at the markets here. And these two are some of the nicestIMG_20191007_102211029.thumb.jpg.1f8f58e050bd6efcd60a8036d6449800.jpg$8 a kg(I think). The macadamia is beautiful.

Not always available of course but the guy has some great choices.

If you want some I'll send you a tub next time he's at the markets

4 hours ago, Full Range said:

They don’t get out of bed unless the temperature is 23 deg Celsius 

I think these are called Austroplebeia Australis 

They belong to the TETRAGONULA family 

Well they better get out of bed around this time of the year, lots of flower blooming now,    Saturday was  23C at 6:20am so they should be up and about doing there bid to pollination......  thingymagig!       

this is our regular from the market, it puts the supermarket stuff to such shame ! the guy who sells it at the market is the one that harvests it and keeps the bees. can see that one is stringy bark. we like to try a few varieties. they are so different in not only flavour / taste but also consistency from flowing to more crystalline to almost solidified beeswax like nature. I also tend to bring back some Tassie honey when ever coming back from there. We can be known to go through one of these little jars of honey a week :D  not just teas but also things like honey cakes and such ! 

IMG_0074.jpeg

IMG_0075.jpeg