Denafrips ARES experience

1 minute ago, rocky500 said:

You should give the NOS mode a go as with my Holo Dac it is the best mode that I get the most enjoyment from.

That is my preference at the moment also

NOS and slow filter. 

Very natural smooth sound, might be a bit laid back for some but works a charm for me.  Once its burnt in properly i'll variate again and see if there is any change but right now I think I have the setting that brings me the most enjoyment also.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Asedillo said:

Hello, sorry too busy at work :) If I remember it correctly it came as NOS and slow filter when I get it.

Thanks mate.  I have a very quiet day for once ?

From your information it might be that even after I tinkered with the settings I have settled on the default setting for now.  I doubt I can make a true decision to well after 100hrs which is what Denafrips recommend as a minimum burn in on all their DACs.

I am sure as the thread evolves and more people will chime in too be it with Pontus, Venus or Terminator. 

• Like 2

Official Manuals for the Ares I and Ares II - PDF files attached.

Also there are a few USB drivers you can install if you are streaming/connected via your computer....

I dont really understand USB drivers etc and I have not got mine connected that way but I might still install these or whichever ones relevant to my computer etc and ensure its up to date in every capacity.... 

https://www.denafrips.com/download-ares

Ares I.pdf Ares II.pdf

Capture.JPG

Edited by 08Boss302
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 08Boss302 said:

So we should be right?

I upgraded mine the other day and it was still running on the old firmware.

Not sure though if it was just a coincidence but after I upgraded the firmware, the sound becomes better specially on the bass management.....It becomes tighter and almost the same now of the ARES I.

Maybe, I already reached the break-in period....although I don't think that is the case because I reckon it is only running for 20+ hours so far :)

• Like 1

Hmm, Ok, I must look into this.

I'll follow your link with instructions and ensure I have the latest update installed.  I've never done anything like that before so will hopefully not stuff anything up.  The intital part looks quite daunting for someone not computer literate (like me haha)

I am probably just over 30hrs now, I noticed the vocals wandering a bit and were not as high the other night,  but during burn in on amps I have owned I also noticed some odd things then they settled.  I don't expect that behavior will continue and it will return favorably.

On a side note I contacted Denafrips re factory settings so I had a base to return to at any point.

Here is there reply, probably another useful bit of information to store in this thread.

Thanks for reaching out. Thank you for your purchase. 
The default factory setting is:
* NOS
* Slow Filter 
* Positive Phase 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

Hmm, Ok, I must look into this.

I'll follow your link with instructions and ensure I have the latest update installed.  I've never done anything like that before so will hopefully not stuff anything up.  The intital part looks quite daunting for someone not computer literate (like me haha)

I am probably just over 30hrs now, I noticed the vocals wandering a bit and were not as high the other night,  but during burn in on amps I have owned I also noticed some odd things then they settled.  I don't expect that behavior will continue and it will return favorably.

On a side note I contacted Denafrips re factory settings so I had a base to return to at any point.

Here is there reply, probably another useful bit of information to store in this thread.

Thanks for reaching out. Thank you for your purchase. 
The default factory setting is:
* NOS
* Slow Filter 
* Positive Phase 

Yeah, that is what i remember the original settings was.....also once you downloaded the files and unzip it....make sure you rename the Ares......fmc to just Ares.fmc remove the numbers after Ares otherwise you won't be able to run the batch file that have the fpga and mcu in it 

Edited by Asedillo

2 minutes ago, Asedillo said:

also once you downloaded the files and unzip it....make sure you rename the Ares......fmc to just Ares.fmc remove the numbers after Ares otherwise you won't be able to run the batch file that have the fpga and mcu in it 

Edited 1 minute ago by Asedillo

You've lost me completely LOL.

my home PC runs windows 7 which i dont think will work according to the instructions, but my wife's laptop is windows 10, i'll have to use that.

I dont usually use the USB audio input and not sure if this update is specific to that input but i like things to be up to date in anycase.

7 hours ago, Asedillo said:

The mcu is for the usb whike the fpga is for the dsp.

Cheers @Asedillo

Apologies for this embarrassing lack of computer knowledge haha

This is the cable I need yeah?  There is no special cable, this is just one i've grabbed from work.  It should do the job?

The flat end into the laptop, the other end into back of Ares.  Then i just follow the instructions and all should be well and good (in a perfect world)

...and I cant break/wreck anything?!?!

IMG_20191008_164635_resized_20191008_044731563.jpg

Edited by 08Boss302
  • Like 1

Guest Muon N'

Like any firmware updates you don't want a power loss during the update process, like from a blackout ect'. But unavoidable if it happens apart from having decent UPS with good battery back up.

But in saying this, the chances of it happening while being possible, are slim :)

Playing ARES II in a bit high volume now since firmware upgrade last night and definitely the bass gets better and sounds a bit wider and crispier esp for dsd file.  Still warm :)

Edited by Asedillo

1 minute ago, 08Boss302 said:

I've followed the instructions but as I predicted its not going to work for me ?

As soon as I turned the ares on once connected it started to load drivers or whatever and its been this screen for 15min.

Turned the ares off and back on but nothing changed. Straight back to this

I haven't even got to the bit where you unzip folk es and run that wizard thing 

Nothing computer related works for me 

IMG_20191008_203416.jpg

On this particular laptop/PC, have you already installed the Denafrips driver?  If not yet, make sure it is installed first.