Recommendations for In-Celing Speakers

Hello
New member here
I am planning on upgrading my 7.2 system to 7.2.4.
I would like to keep the budget around $500-$750 for both pairs total. unless you believe it would be too much of a compromise.
I would appreciate to get some recommendations from members on which in-ceiling speakers they have or possible have heard/experience with. Any knowledge shared would be appreciated..
Thanks

I have found that putting in ceiling boxes over the speakers improves sound quality and protects speakers.

There are many options. Mine are a collapsible vinyl type with internal acoustic foam

• Like 1

I installed 4 x Polk RC80i with XTC baffles in my Home Theatre, and have been extremely happy with the results.

My other speakers are all Polk RTiA series though which are a good timbre match. What are your existing 7.2 speakers?

1 hour ago, figjam said:

I installed 4 x Polk RC80i with XTC baffles in my Home Theatre, and have been extremely happy with the results.

My other speakers are all Polk RTiA series though which are a good timbre match. What are your existing 7.2 speakers?

Thanks for your input, I will consider these speakers, I see they have an option that can be angled, to what i can gather, it seems its the same speaker when i check the specs, just that they can be angled, unless im missing something.

my current setup is a Denon avr-x4300h (I will be getting a seperate power amp to run fronts once i choose which ceiling speakrs) Yamaha NS-555 floorstanding speakers, Yamaha NS-C444 Centre speaker and Yamaha NS-333 as surrounds. 2 SVS PB-2000 Subs

anyone have any other brands, models to consider ?

cheers

nice set-up!

i suggest you keep going on your yamaha theme. 

https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/speakers/ns-ic400/index.html

perhaps you might negotiate a deal seeing as you are buying two pair of ceiling speakers? 

try where you got your existing set-up and then try at least three others.

have fun with your continuing journey! 

all the best ...

3 hours ago, hafv said:

nice set-up!

perhaps you might negotiate a deal seeing as you are buying two pair of ceiling speakers? 

all the best ...

agree with yamahas, if have yamahas I’d stick to Yamaha’s, not sure these come with back boxes. But they are essential in my opinion. Not only acoustically but also keep out the dust and cr@p tends to inhabit ceilings and such.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hafv said:

nice set-up!

all the best ...

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

agree with yamahas, if have yamahas I’d stick to Yamaha’s, not sure these come with back boxes. But they are essential in my opinion. Not only acoustically but also keep out the dust and cr@p tends to inhabit ceilings and such.

Hello

I thank you both for the input, I just have a few questions.
Why should i go for the yamahas over any other brand, is it just because of branding?
are they really going to be more acoustically matched with my setup compared to other brands ?
btw  when I checked the ic400's i see their frequency isnt even below 80hz (95hz is their lowest) so I'm thinking if i do pick yamaha I should go for the ic600's at least for better frequency range to crossover at 80hz etc.

would a different brand really not be the best option ? would the sound be really different ?
finally where would I find the back boxes/baffles if i take the yamaha route, i have tried looking online but only find USA stores.. any input would be appreciated

thanks

id go the better frequency response. you want 80hz as a minimum so can cross over to sub.

with object based audio, the entire speaker set is used to place objects in space. it means changing paradigm of oh they are only surrounds and for effects. as that is no longer the case. that was thinking of the dolby prologue era and we long moved on from that. and yes for this reason atleast sticking to same brand family gives a better chance of integrating them in with the rest of the speakers in the surround setup for a seamless sound. get it right ... its like sitting in a sound bubble ! 

i bought my flexible back boxes (the dynamat dynaboxes) locally same place bought my speakers from ... they suit retro fitting but not cheap under $200 a pop. but once in they're in....

12 minutes ago, betty boop said:

id go the better frequency response. you want 80hz as a minimum so can cross over to sub.

with object based audio, the entire speaker set is used to place objects in space. it means changing paradigm of oh they are only surrounds and for effects. as that is no longer the case. that was thinking of the dolby prologue era and we long moved on from that. and yes for this reason atleast sticking to same brand family gives a better chance of integrating them in with the rest of the speakers in the surround setup for a seamless sound. get it right ... its like sitting in a sound bubble ! 

i bought my flexible back boxes (the dynamat dynaboxes) locally same place bought my speakers from ... they suit retro fitting but not cheap under $200 a pop. but once in they're in....

thanks for your input, I agree the the ic600 is the better solution to frequency range hence why i pointed it out in the earlier post

I have checked out the dynaboxes, they look great, but i dont see it as a logically sound option for the yamaha speakers, the dynaboxes would actually cost more then the single speaker thats being installed into them.

For the price of the yamaha ic600 and dynaboxes i think choosing the krix in celing speakers would make more sense as they are sealed box design from the manufacturer, just my 2c correct me if my line of thinking is flawed.

thank you

Edited by Millz-1422

thats more a problem of going cheaper in ceilings .... the krix are likely a better speaker overall too ... how well matches in, no idea.... something for self to weigh up and decide. id always suggest the krix as an alternative where no inceiling  options exist from a speaker maker. though most makers tend to have in ceiling speakers within a budget range making the decision a little easier...

• 1 month later...

I'm currently using the Yamaha IC800 8" speakers (I have 6 in the ceiling for 9.1.6 but am currently running 7.1.2) and I find they work really well for atmos duties. i have them crossed at 80hz. 

I also like that they do have an adjustable tweeter so you can point them toward the MLP. 

They can also be picked up on ebay quite cheap when there's a 20% off sale running. 

• Like 2