Laser etched vinyl

Started with vinyl as a kid in the 70s and back into vinyl from 2013, but last month was the first time I have ever come across laser etched vinyl, Split Enz, True Colours.  In fact there were multiple copies of this album in Darwin’s only second hand record store (Air Raid Records), each with a different album colour but only one of which had laser etched vinyl inside. 

Any other examples of laser etched vinyl?

@aussievintage it would be great if you would post again or @Full Range you could post in this thread (we posted in vinyl currently spinning but I thought it would be interesting to see what’s out there in a more appropriate thread). This is Side 1 and Side 2 of the album. 

CC95912C-D1FE-433A-8997-75D2B49C12EB.jpeg

F6994146-D504-4F13-BCE4-E18BE5752DE0.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

Nice pics.    

btw  I have read differing opinions on whether Styx was Prog Rock or not.   This album, Paradise Theatre is probably one that convinces me they are.

Styx is Prog related 

So that means they are on the border of Prog Rock and Pop rock depending on the album 

I also have the Split Enz laser etched 'True Colours'. It is impressive. This and the Styx release appear to be the only laser etched examples in this thread so far.....all others appear to be just 'etched' (correct me if I'm wrong) and are unplayable (no grooves!) , whereas 'laser etched' can be played and sound fine.

I have 'The Prelude Implicit' LP from Kansas and it is a three sided double LP with the fourth side 'etched' with the phoenix claws from the cover art and the 'Kansas' logo.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1672/2041/products/Kansas_ThePreludeImplicit_Vinyl-black-etching_1024x1024.jpg?v=1483820176

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

There's a big list here (but sadly no pictures): https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/laser-etched-vinyl-lets-compile-a-list.281800/

I've always thought laser-etchings look very cool, but unfortunately have none in my collection. 

That thread gets quickly derailed from it's title. Most of the main list in post no. 11 are unplayable 'etched' as opposed to playable 'laser etched' and it doesn't have the Split Enz and Styx releases......pretty much the two most famous (but they are mentioned by others).....but it's still a good list.?

Edited by stevoz

6 minutes ago, stevoz said:

That does look very cool....and it has a star spiral.?

If you film it and play it back, everything starts moving around and floating - even cooler.

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, metal beat said:

If you film it and play it back, everything starts moving around and floating - even cooler.

Now that is really cool.....makes the record look like it's going backwards. Takes laser etching to a new level.?

Music sounds good too.?

No idea what it would add to the cost of production but it is just soooo cool it is worth every penny. Given the extremely high prices on new vinyl I am surprised it is not being widely used. I am sure many new vinyl sales are made to people looking for ‘image’ as much as sound . To me this increases saleability quite dramatically.  I want some and I sold my TT! 

I had no idea it existed, you learn something everyday, great thread.

My son tells me Dope Lemon also issued another yellow vinyl version with similar patterns, but I can’t upload the video he sent me. Also very cool. 

The Dope Lemon albums may still be available at

https://store.sound-merch.com.au/collections/dope-lemon

i just ordered one of each (one for my son), so will see if all works out. 

Edited by KRSDarwin

• 2 weeks later...

Back from Melbourne Hi-Fi Show (which was great) and had these waiting for me.  Not sure it counts as laser etched but it is well recorded and there are some great songs. The artist is Angus Stone (with some friends), from Angus & Julia Stone

F7D34E55-2921-41D3-8677-FB9F5775F0EB.jpeg

426331AA-1AFF-42FA-9DC5-00D8B051EAA8.jpeg

• Like 2