Headphone amp to pair with Sennheiser HD600's?

Hi all,

I am in the market for a new headphone amp for my pair of Sennheiser HD600's.

Any recommendations? Budget wise I would like to spend less than $400 unless there is something just outside of that price range which is SIGNIFICANTLY better.

Thanks in advance for any help.

48 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Need a DAC too?

Hi Bingineer,

I did not realise that a DAC would be required. I was hoping the headphone amp would be both the DAC and the driver of the headphones. Please forgive my ignorance, I am new to all of this.

If a dac is a requirement, then chord mojo, would be a must to audition for $599 new. Very hard to beat as a headphone dac and amp package

Neo

Edited by Neo
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, MintThyme said:

Hi Bingineer,

I did not realise that a DAC would be required. I was hoping the headphone amp would be both the DAC and the driver of the headphones. Please forgive my ignorance, I am new to all of this.

An EL DAC by JDS is good too, Grace SDAC of you're on a tight budget.

9 minutes ago, Neo said:

If a dac is a requirement, then chord mojo, would be a must to audition for $599 new. Very hard to beat as a headphone dac and amp package

Neo

Yeah. More so as unit that can be portable.

It doesn't put out huge power, DAC is clean though. Like a NFB 11.28 puts out whopping power compared, around 4x more power.

Edited by Bengineer

Ok, so I found the mojo  package in a store in town,

https://www.listeningpost.co.nz/Products/Media-Players-Digital-Music-Server-MP3-streamer/Chord-Mojo-Poly-Headphone-Amplifier-Package-DAC-__I.302925__C.27465__N.27756

$2000 is too much.

Also travelling with my HD600's is not a factor / thing for me. I only use these at home with my computer.

No, they are $599 retail.

The Poly is a add on streaming unit.

Can be had $400 or so in these classified forums.

Schiit Stack or a JDS Element would suit you. New in your budget for both I think, used easily.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rand129678 said:

Mojo will drive the HD600 (Sensitivity 100 dB/mW) to ear splitting levels with ease (and low distortion).

Yes it does. Doesn't mean he will have HD600 forever though :P

Mojo is over his budget new too. So depends how strict he is on that.

Ill be getting a Mojo soon, price is too good now. Mojo and Focal clear for $2000 brand new. World's gone crazy.

On 05/10/2019 at 1:13 AM, MintThyme said:

What do you guys think of this headphone amp / DAC?

https://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/d1p

No idea bud.

Highly likely you'll feel the urge to upgrade within a year, like we all seem to around these here parts. So maybe stick to popular models that hold value ok and sell quick. Schiit fits that bill, buy used, try, if no like (you prob will like) then sell for same money.

I'm running a very old hd600 through a fiio k3. Small device and while it doesnt drive to ear splitting levels, it is loud enough for my wife to complain she can hear everything I am listening too from across the room. 

K3 is a solid dac as well and supports windows without a driver which is nice. Plug and play on android as well and has a usbc plug on it. 

I run through a balanced cable that I got for around 40 dollars from aliexpress. All round happy with the solution and I think it sounds great to me.

If you like louder then ifi make some nice units or you can chrck out the fiio k5 pro. Unfortunately this isnt a portable option.

I actually starting putting a spreadsheet together for all the headphone amp options in my price range. 

Something to keep an eye out for are the new bluetooth dad amps from fiio and shanling. They should put out enough power for the hd600 and they are small and can be used plugged in or wirelwss to other device.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, 

So have been researching away and so far these are the headphone amps of interest.

Price range from $300 up to $1000.

Which of these options would you guys go for?

Edited by MintThyme

After fairly extensive reading the Chord Mojo and Ifi Micro iDSD are at the top of the list. 

My only reservations / concerns are that I have read numerous comments about the Chord Mojo breaking down after 12 months of use for various reasons but mostly related to the battery. 

And the Ifi Micro iDSD looks great but it's also $1000 and comes with a lot of extra connections and stuff I don't want or need. But overall it looks like it could be the potentially the better option as a full time desktop headphone amplifier solution.

Does anyone have much experience with either of these two products? Any thoughts on the above?