ABC Radio via TV

allthumbs

I have become so enjoyably lazy that I now pretty much just stream music from ABC Classic either via my Computer or via the TV on Channel 27. 

I am just looking for some clarification, I run the TV via the optical output to my Topping DAC and into my Cambridge 651a amp.

My question is, is the TV acting effectively as a pre-amp? It sounds great.  I was always impressed with ABC JAzz on Channel 201, but the Classic sounds phenomenal.

Is the TV transmitting FM or the Digital equivalent, because the playlists are not always the same when compared.

The transmission is digital, so I expect the TV would only be converting from the transmitted digital format to the digital format provided on the optical output.  i.e. MP2 to PCM.

I believe the transmitted format for the ABC music radio streams is MPEG-1 Layer II in Stereo @256kbit/s.  So better than DAB+.  Probably close to FM radio quality.

I had to spend a lot of weekends up at Stawell late last year sorting out my parents place after they went into care, and without access to the Melbourne FM stations, digital radio or the internet, the ABC radio streams via the TV were my main source of entertainment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, allthumbs said:

My question is, is the TV acting effectively as a pre-amp?

No, it's just passing on the digital audio data it has received to your DAC

4 hours ago, allthumbs said:

Is the TV transmitting FM or the Digital equivalent

The TV is receiving the digital audio that is broadcast over the air (as an "audio only" TV channel)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 03/10/2019 at 12:10 PM, allthumbs said:

I have become so enjoyably lazy that I now pretty much just stream music from ABC Classic either via my Computer or via the TV on Channel 27. 

I am just looking for some clarification, I run the TV via the optical output to my Topping DAC and into my Cambridge 651a amp.

My question is, is the TV acting effectively as a pre-amp? It sounds great.  I was always impressed with ABC JAzz on Channel 201, but the Classic sounds phenomenal.

Is the TV transmitting FM or the Digital equivalent, because the playlists are not always the same when compared.

TV stations clump their transmitters together at the one location BECAUSE everyone's antennas need to point toward them direction-ally.  whereas radio is all over the place inclusive use of directional aerials such as Yagi's used usually out of town for high power sitting off to one side of the delivery target area,, some  omni directional on buildings (commercial medium high power), some 30km out of town or city on a tall mountain. e.g. Radio National.

While the TV and the radio seem the same, there is always some variation of programs locally from ABC and MMM and JJJ.