Sign in to follow this  
billy170468

Entering Lenehan Audio Family

Hi all.

So, my first foray into hifi began in 1997. Purchased NAD 116 preamp, 216 Power amp, Orpheus Aurora 3 floorstanders, Denon DCD1290 CD player, and a B&W AS6 Subwoofer.

About  2 years ago my system died. Have been saving all my pennies for the last 5 years, and after careful consideration and research have pulled the trigger on a pair of ML2 Ref´s and matching stands, a BHK 250, XLRś, RCAś, and speaker cables from Mike. Also probably getting Fein DAC II from Clay.

My local computer guy (he also loves hifi) will be building me a media centre like the SOTM sMS200 neo.

Not only did Mike do the best price, but I rang him a few times for probably an hour each time.

One question I am wanting to ask is my preamp is 20 years old (yet it gets good reviews on interwebs) both Mike and I believe it is the limiting factor in new system. Dont know budget as yet, but how much do I need to spend to get decent quality? I need phono stage (Rega Planar 2 TT)

Also, need new/second hand CD player/ transport. Suggestions?

Final question: Am really wanting to hear this system and was wondering if there was someone (close) that I could visit to hear this? I live on the NSW south coast and am willing to travel maybe as far as Coffs and maybe south to Melbourne(?).

Happy coming to the Lenehan Audio family

Cheers

Andy

There is a valve pre in the classifieds, only 2 line level inputs, but a couple of hundred  $$ will get a nice phono stage.

May I suggest that you try to do what many of us do, that is not using a pre at all.

I go straight from dac to amp.

By the way value for money you cant go wrong with Clay and Mike's stuff.

Enjoy!

Hi Andy,

Looks like you have the foundations of a great system with the Lenehan gear and the BHK 250, similiar to mine. I think a good pre amp is crucial to good sound, so spend as much as you can afford, and get a seperate phono pre amp. I'm quite a long distance from you being on the NSW mid north coast, but you are welcome to visit for a listen to my system if you are in the area.

Edited by awayward

I agree with both sentiments above. You want a good pre or you're better off running from your (presumably good) dac direct. But if money is the limiting factor may as well just use Dac direct until you can afford a good one. I'd be looking at valves here as I've had brilliant results with ML2s running a big Magnus amp and either Supratek or consonance valve pres. Supratek offer a good phono built in for 5-6k new, or about half if you find a 2nd hand one. There's also a sonic frontiers pre on here at the moment which would likely be a nice match, but no phono. 

7 hours ago, awayward said:

Hi Andy,

Looks like you have the foundations of a great system with the Lenehan gear and the BHK 250, similiar to mine. I think a good pre amp is crucial to good sound, so spend as much as you can afford, and get a seperate phono pre amp. I'm quite a long distance from you being on the NSW mid north coast, but you are welcome to visit for a listen to my system if you are in the area.

Hey @awayward,

I would definitely be interested in coming to your place. 8hours each way but would love the trip

Cheers

Andy

Talk to MWhouston  check spelling first though. I have FFS (Fat Finger Syndrome).

Edited by Batty

1 hour ago, billy170468 said:

Hey @awayward,

I would definitely be interested in coming to your place. 8hours each way but would love the trip

Cheers

Andy

I thought I was a bit nuts doing an 11 hour round trip in the one day to pick up a turntable. Just PM me to arrange when it suits.

Cheers Wayne

Edited by awayward

2 hours ago, awayward said:

I thought I was a bit nuts doing an 11 hour round trip in the one day to pick up a turntable. Just PM me to arrange when it suits.

Cheers Wayne

Lemme guess. Rega P3?

1 minute ago, billy170468 said:

Lemme guess. Rega P3?

Having had Rega turntables all my life I always wanted a P9, found a later model one that I couldn’t resist, considerably better than my RP6 that I had prior.

5 hours ago, Batty said:

Talk to MWhouston  check spelling first though. I have FFS (Fat Finger Syndrome).

Just curious, does he have the same system ? Is that the reason you want me to contact him?

Cheers

Andy 😉

He makes valve pre amps

So, it looks like I will also be purchasing a Prima Luna EVO300 preamplifier. 😊

Cheers 

Andy

Edited by billy170468

I also have a question: I have been told that one should never turn volume dial past 12OĆlock. Is this true?

Cheers

Andy

Guest Muon N'
1 hour ago, billy170468 said:

I also have a question: I have been told that one should never turn volume dial past 12OĆlock. Is this true?

Cheers

Andy

Who told you?

Many things will dictate at what level a system will be at when a volume control is at any given position, efficiency of speakers, gain in the system chain, type of volume control ect'.

3 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Who told you?

Many things will dictate at what level a system will be at when a volume control is at any given position, efficiency of speakers, gain in the system chain, type of volume control ect'.

Was actually a sales person from a Hifi store 

Guest Muon N'
21 minutes ago, billy170468 said:

Was actually a sales person from a Hifi store 

OK, unknown what level of understanding any particular sales person has behind them.

Maybe talk to Mike about this next time you are chatting with him, he is familiar with what you are using ;)

Edit: Just as a reference to how things can be different in a given system, I use older ML-1's and drive them with a 20 watt EL34 amp that has fitted a Linear volume pot, I'm usually at 8 o'clock, at 9 o'clock it is loud, if I ran it at 10 o'clock often I would get many complaints from neighbours in our block.

So very system dependent.

Edited by Muon N'

hi
I have a pair of ML3's upgraded to ML5's, using a Bryston 4bsst2 amp
with a McIntosh pre amp
live in Newcastle,if that's any good for you.
but anything with a lenehan badge is worth owning.
cheers Greg

31 minutes ago, Mord said:

hi
I have a pair of ML3's upgraded to ML5's, using a Bryston 4bsst2 amp
with a McIntosh pre amp
live in Newcastle,if that's any good for you.
but anything with a lenehan badge is worth owning.
cheers Greg

How are you enjoying my old ML3s? :)

How are you enjoying my old ML3s? [emoji4]
amazing speakers, don't know how all that music can come out of a 2 way speaker
[emoji848]

How are you enjoying my old ML3s? [emoji4]
in good hands 20191014_152103.jpeg

I added a set of ML2 References to my system earlier this year. I then added the Foil-Flex XLR Interconnects and Speaker cables . Great advice from Mike and the prices of the cables are worth every cent. I'm currently investing in a new set of Toppers for the ML2's . Mike is also adamant (no pressure though!) that my next step should look at his 3 Hz Isolation Footers for the ML2's. To date my system has reached a performance level I have never got near in previous systems. Adding the ML2's started the whole thing and I am really enjoying my audio existence. Those PS Audio BHK amps are on my dream list as well!

Cheers

On 21/10/2019 at 10:25 PM, 075Congo said:

Mike is also adamant (no pressure though!) that my next step should look at his 3 Hz Isolation Footers for the ML2's. To date my system has reached a performance level I have never got near in previous systems. Adding the ML2's started the whole thing and I am really enjoying my audio existence. Those PS Audio BHK amps are on my dream list as well!

Having heard the difference the isolation platform makes I agree with Mike.   I also have owned the BHK Amp and pre.   Very good.   But the best I have heard is actually no amp - that's right - no amp.   The Chord TT2 is a DAC with an output stage that produces 18W.   I heard it through my ML5's which are 89 db sensitive - the ML2's are a bit less sensitive at 86 db so 18w may not work too well with them - but, due to the ears logarithmic response (you need 10 times the power to sound twice as loud - that's the same as 10db - so it will only sound a bit less than the ML5's) its worthwhile checking it out - can save money as well since the amp is gone.   Mike has my Chord down at his shop right now - if you can make it down there check it out.   I have my Magnesium Limited's being completed soon - but its only 84 db sensitive.   Likely will not work well with the Chord - but hey what the heck - will try it anyway. 

Just on this interesting power thing I have two Arion 500w monoblocks in my system right now when driven by 2v.   I have 89db ML3's and use a Direct Stream DAC that produces about 2v at max volume.   Each digit on the volume control - it goes to 100 - is .5 db.   I find I listen to music at about 40 - 80 would be 10db down - or 50w on peaks - 60 would be another 10db down or 5w  on peaks and 40 would be 10db down again - a puny .5w on peaks.   It's amazing how little you need.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

On 02/10/2019 at 10:31 PM, billy170468 said:

Hi Andy,

I've just seen this thread...unsure if you are still interested after buying your own pre-amp?

I'm in Canberra and you'd be welcome to come and have a listen to my system, and plug in some of your own gear if you wanted.  I stream using an Auralic Aries, from Tidal or my own NAS. I run a Klein III DAC with Clay's fabulous Kraftwerk Gold Enhanced PSU. 

By way of context, I'm awaiting return of my Bryston BP25 pre-amp and will then compare it with my 'unstored' Naim NAC32.5 pre- and associated HiCAP PS. Those are old but give me great satisfaction in my system. After the comparison one of those pre-amps will be sold. For CDs I use the former top of range Naim CDS (Mk 1) with its massive separate PSU. 

Finally, if you visit I'd be interested in your Planar 2 experience.

Cheers, Dave

Edited by lenticularis

8 hours ago, lenticularis said:

Hi Andy,

I've just seen this thread...unsure if you are still interested after buying your own pre-amp?

I'm in Canberra and you'd be welcome to come and have a listen to my system, and plug in some of your own gear if you wanted.  I stream using an Auralic Aries, from Tidal or my own NAS. I run a Klein III DAC with Clay's fabulous Kraftwerk Gold Enhanced PSU. 

By way of context, I'm awaiting return of my Bryston BP25 pre-amp and will then compare it with my 'unstored' Naim NAC32.5 pre- and associated HiCAP PS. Those are old but give me great satisfaction in my system. After the comparison one of those pre-amps will be sold. For CDs I use the former top of range Naim CDS (Mk 1) with its massive separate PSU. 

Finally, if you visit I'd be interested in your Planar 2 experience.

Cheers, Dave

Hey Dave,

Thank you for your post. I am currently watching the fires around me. Onc the fires have died down, I might just come over the mountain and visit you. 

Cheers

Andy

PS. What speakers are you running?