El Saif

The latest DAB+ Radio Survey is out.

Looking at the major cities for total listeners > 10 years old:

SYD 1. Edge 2. ABC Jazz 3. Coles

MEL 1. GOLD 80s 2. Coles 3. KIIS 90s

BNE 1. Coles 2. 97.3 The 90s 3. OLDSKOOL HITS

PER 1. SMOOTH 2. OLDSKOOL HITS 3. Double J

ADL 1. Double J 2. Buddha Hits 3. equal Coles and ABC Jazz

See: https://www.gfk.com/en-au/insights/report/radio-audience-measurement-survey-summary-reports/

On 03/10/2019 at 5:43 PM, aussievintage said:

I listen to DAB+ all the time in the car.  When the local ABC news, or 24 hour news, or Radio National, get boring, I have MBS light, ABC classical, ABC Jazz, and a few other things like 4KQ lined up on the presets.  FM is dead!!

I find ABC classical more satisfying to listen to in the car using FM rather than its DAB+ simulcast. (I find typical bitrates on YouTube quite ok for classical music, but not the 80kbps "nominal" (less for the actual audio) used by the ABC for its classical DAB+ station.)

I don't bother with MBS light as I find the  64kbps nominal bitrate too frustrating to try to listen to.  In Brisbane, in our house we use DAB+ for the clock radio to give us the news in the morning, but not as a substitute for FM.

It's clear that some people are much more tolerant of the low to medium bitrate HE-AAC used for DAB+ radio in Australia, than others.

A small number of the DAB+ stations do have (relatively) high actual bitrates.  4KQ doesn't, at least not at the moment. My DAB+ radio currently shows a nominal bitrate for it of only 48kbps.  The bitrate for the audio would be lower.  For my ears the audio sounds like like low bitrate mp3.

Both 4BC1116 and Macquarie Sports are currently broadcasting in Brisbane with a nominal bitrate of 104kbps, despite the content mostly being "talk" rather than music. 

• 2 months later...
On 02/10/2019 at 11:03 PM, Saxon Hall said:

Surprised about Coles in Melbourne and Sydney. I wonder why it would rate so high?

If you can tune into "80's" or "90's" stations (two separate Sydney DAB apart its' generic channel i think(i don't remember) is WSFM) , Coles is not too bad compared.