New home theatre enthusiast

Hey everyone

I've recently gotten into Home audio/theatre after being into car audio for about 8 years now (used to compete in the MEASQ a few years ago). Recently I have discovered the world of home audio after hearing Dolby Atmos for the first time about a year ago and immediately taking a huge liking to the format. 

I then decided to buy an Atmos soundbar (samsung hw-n950) which I really liked and that drove me to want to have my own setup with dedicated in ceiling speakers as I knew they would be even better than the soundbar. 

As I'm sure some of you will know it's a real rabbit hole, you start off small and just want to go a little bit further and then a little bit further and so on.

Now I've reached the point where I have my own space that I have decided to do a 9.1.6 setup for my first theatre. 

I've decided I'm going to be using the new Emotiva XMC-2 Processor when it's released.
I"m still undecided on what I would like to use for LCR as I want these to be music focused as much as HT. 

Is there anyone else out there also planning or currently using a 9.X.6 setup? 

Thanks for all the great information you guys have posted on this forum, it's really helped me learn and narrow down my decisions. 

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum. 

Lots of experienced help. 

If you have a specific layout in mind post in the HT forum section.

It sounds like you're going deep deep rabbit hole.

I'm happy with my 7.2.4 setup for the size of my room. You must have a massive space to fill! 

Enjoy... 

15 hours ago, WasM said:

Welcome to the forum. 

Lots of experienced help. 

If you have a specific layout in mind post in the HT forum section.

It sounds like you're going deep deep rabbit hole.

I'm happy with my 7.2.4 setup for the size of my room. You must have a massive space to fill! 

Enjoy... 

That's for the recommendation I'll do that!

The room I have isn't huge, it's 6m x 4m however I figure the more channels you have the better object placement you'll get (even if only slightly) and I knew if I ended up going 7.1.4  or 7.1.6 (original plan with a Denon X8500) I would end up just wondering what if I had front wides so I've decided to just do it haha.   

Welcome.

I'd be going 7.2.4 or even 6.2.4. The additional sub will give you better FR over a wider area, and I'm not sure that the extra 2 atmos speakers will make much difference.

My path began with cheap secondhand surrounds before building my own better units later. I don't think I lost a dollar when selling them, and got to get exactly what I wanted, but spreading the expense out over time.

2 minutes ago, A9X said:

Welcome.

I'd be going 7.2.4 or even 6.2.4. The additional sub will give you better FR over a wider area, and I'm not sure that the extra 2 atmos speakers will make much difference.

My path began with cheap secondhand surrounds before building my own better units later. I don't think I lost a dollar when selling them, and got to get exactly what I wanted, but spreading the expense out over time.

Thank you! 

I will probably end up doing 9.2.6 I believe I can split the output from the sub channel into two subs? Currently i've got a "Peerless by Tymphany STW-350F-188PR01-04 15" Subwoofer" In a custom built box that I will need external amplification for however I was planning on getting a second cheaper powered sub in the meantime to go with it. 

Well it's good that you got back what you spent :)

The cost adds up so fast when you go adding component after component haha. 

If you have some woodworking abilities, DIY subs are a much, much better bang/$ than commercial. If interested, ask in the DIY Speakers section here.

2 minutes ago, Aussierox said:

The cost adds up so fast when you go adding component after component haha.

That's why I suggested secondhand surrounds to start with. Get them, and the LCR and subs you want, decide on the final surrounds and atmos speakers you want, and upgrade slowly as budget allows, and you can get a great system. It will just take a bit of time, but still enjoyable in the interim.

hi welcome, am not really sure hte benefit of 9.X.6 I would suggest unless have a MASSIVE beyond home theatre dimensions setup really anything past 7.X.4 is probably very much diminishing returns.

I run 5 over heads really 4 with the 5th for some auro 3D use. and 4 overheads for atmos/dts-X is plenty :) I cant image the need of plonking additional in-between ? for 6

as for subs depends on budget, but one really good sub that hits harder and digs deeper id take over 2 average or ok ones for same money :) 

• Like 1

hi welcome, am not really sure hte benefit of 9.X.6 I would suggest unless have a MASSIVE beyond home theatre dimensions setup really anything past 7.X.4 is probably very much diminishing returns.

I run 5 over heads really 4 with the 5th for some auro 3D use. and 4 overheads for atmos/dts-X is plenty [emoji4] I cant image the need of plonking additional in-between ? for 6

as for subs depends on budget, but one really good sub that hits harder and digs deeper id take over 2 average or ok ones for same money [emoji4] 
I always thought whatever your subwoofer budget, buy 2 instead of blowing it all on one sub? At least that's what most literature had me believe.

1 minute ago, MaxPlumage said:
4 minutes ago, betty boop said:

I run 5 over heads really 4 with the 5th for some auro 3D use. and 4 overheads for atmos/dts-X is plenty emoji4.png I cant image the need of plonking additional in-between ? for 6

as for subs depends on budget, but one really good sub that hits harder and digs deeper id take over 2 average or ok ones for same money emoji4.png 

I always thought whatever your subwoofer budget, buy 2 instead of blowing it all on one sub? At least that's what most literature had me believe.

Oh id get the Very best your money can afford (same with the centre speaker) and then down track if money allows get another (another sub not the centre)  :)

most people struggle to adequately place one subs effectively let alone two ! placed inadequately 2 can be double trouble. 

take one sub place well and with good use of EQ can be to excellent end result :) 

I have a couple identical can tell with all honesty just one and what seems adequately placed ... for ht is quite adequate. i use the 2nd for 2ch duties making my mains full range (that also get used for HT) more than one ways to do these things ...

• Like 1

Unfortunately I'm not very handy when it comes to building things out of wood, I'm good at building computers, Wiring up car and home audio but when it comes to building stuff not so much so I won't be able to build another sub box. 

It would end up far too expensive to build another 15" into the same sort of box as the one I have now so I'll try it out with a single sub and see how it goes for a while. 

I'm not sure exactly what benefit 9.X.6 is going to give me over 7.X.4 and I'm quite sure myself that I've hit the point of diminishing returns but I am excited to try it out and see! 

I have actually sourced my In ceilings already. I've decided to start with the Yamaha NS-IC800 8" speakers due to them being cheap but still doing a reasonable job from what I've read. 

I would absolutely love to get my hands on a second hand set of Kef R900 and an R600C in black for LCR but I feel as though the chances of that are almost zero haha so I've been looking at various other options (Elac debut, Elac Adante, New kef R7/11 and Whatmough speakers).