Broken Dali Concept 6 Speaker

On the weekend one of my wonderful daughters knocked over a Concept 6 floor speaker onto a pile of Duplo and wrecked the cone so now I'm wondering about a few things for repair / replacement;

(we no longer have a working AVR so we can't drive these things meaning this is potentially a pointless exercise if this doesn't work but I'd consider repair / replacement as I picked up the set cheap and had been thinking of picking up two more surrounds).  So, I've been wondering;

- is it possible to replace the cone / diaphragm and not the whole driver etc assuming that the cone is the extent of damage?  any idea what that might cost?  Or would I be after a complete assembly?

- I haven't opened it yet to look but are the wires screw / bolted together or soldered?

- I noticed that the Concept 2 specs list a speaker driver the same size as the two in the Concept 6's.  Any idea if they are the same speaker?  If I can't find a replacement speaker only, I could try and find a pair of these.  One of the other cones has a small perforation (which didn't seem to impact audio quality) which would be good to remove.

- or I could just buy second hand speakers on eBay / Gumtree so it's not like these can't be replaced and should I find something else better?  We don't have loads to spend on stuff but I had hoped to continue to capitalise on a base cheap set

- are Concept 8's or 10's a decent improvement over the 6's?  I'm sure they all exist for a reason but it's not like I could audition them in a showroom these days

Thanks for any input

concept6.PNG

• 1 month later...

To answer a few Qs I do have the 2's and 6's and the drivers are probly the same. I bought the 6's cuz they sounded better than the 8's when I auditioned, but have since heard another pair side by side and the 8's have an edge in the bass. The 10's could be an upgrade if you want bigger sounds, but I reckon both are overpriced and overrated. Really id go purchase a more modern and better quality Dali speaker such as the Zensor 7's ive seen those going for unbelievably cheap prices around the traps (400 a set)