Sign in to follow this  
Addicted to music

Induction cook tops.

Posted (edited)

Was in a Canberra apartment Hotel recently that had a kitchen for every hotel room.    They had a Westinghouse Induction cook top.   1st time I use one,  I was very satisfied with the heat it produced, it also had automatic sensing which turned off if there wasn’t the right metal wear on top.    Turning the thing up max it also acted as a heater for the room as the heater wasn’t working.  

Becuase of the glass top it was super easy to clean too.  I’ve always been a gas fanboi bit this set up has changed my mind.   Not sure how it will work with a wok.  Anyone switched from a gas cooktop to one of these electric induction cook top?   How do you find it compared to gas.  Expensive change and they’re not cheap,  so if one needs to make a decision it needs to work with what you use it for.  The family friend we were with had the choice, she stuck with gas just in case of blackouts......

Edited by Addicted to music

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Was in a Canberra apartment Hotel recently that had a kitchen for every hotel room.    They had a Westinghouse Induction cook top.   1st time I use one,  I was very satisfied with the heat it produced, it also had automatic sensing which turned off if there wasn’t the right metal wear on top.    Turning the thing up max it also acted as a heater for the room as the heater wasn’t working.  

Becuase of the glass top it was super easy to clean too.  I’ve always been a gas fanboi bit this set up has changed my mind.   Not sure how it will work with a wok.  Anyone switched from a gas cooktop to one of these electric induction cook top?   How do you find it compared to gas.  Expensive change and they’re not cheap,  so if one needs to make a decision it needs to work with what you use it for.  The family friend we were with had the choice, she stuck with gas just in case of blackouts......

@Addicted to music,

Hi Peter,

I am into my third induction cook top.  Different Houses.  When I got the first induction 20 years ago I really wanted a fancy gas cook top because of the blue flame.  I was persuaded to try a portable induction.  The rest is history.  If you enjoy cooking and want absolute precise control of the temperature, induction is fantastic.  Sauces great.  It is hotter and faster than gas.  Electric is pathetic in comparison.  You can melt chocolate just so!  You cannot do that with gas or electric.  Steak on a cast iron griddle amazing.  With a Wok as long as it is magnetic metal and the bottom is flat - fine - red hot in minutes if you are not careful.  Get cast iron pans etc

Where I live now I have persuaded various people to try and ultimately buy induction.  All have been ecstatic with their decision. When you buy a pot test it with fridge magnet

My latest induction is a high end AEG.  Not cheap.  I am still working out how  to drive it.  The flexibility of control is incredible.

John

Edited by Assisi
word

29 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Not sure how it will work with a wok.  Anyone switched from a gas cooktop to one of these electric induction cook top?   How do you find it compared to gas. 

Induction sucks for woks, but is great for everything else.

If you need a wok burner, Fisher & Paykel make a "domino" modular set up with a very decent (21MJ) wok burner option. Highland (now Franke) made/make a very pricey 24MJ combo cooktop.

We swapped gas for a domino-type setup when we renovated our last place and it we still miss it.

Posted (edited)

We went from gas to induction and have not looked back.  Induction is an efficient form of heating and the ability to control the heating is better and more even.  Cleaning up is easy and we do not miss having to clean the gas hob, rack etc.  Flat bottomed woks work with induction but tossing is limited (no heat once you lift).  If you insist on a round bottomed wok, there are wok induction hobs which have a concave surface for the wok to rest in, but are expensive.

We have been using an Ikea (yes, Ikea) one for the past 3+ years.  Made in Germany with a 5 year warranty and serviced by AEG technicians should something go wrong (ours did not have a problem).  At about the third of the price (and they had a 20% discount when we bought which made it a steal).  The name brands are overpriced in Australia compared with Europe...

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

Posted (edited)

Not just for myself but also looking at this from a Landlord perspective..

if I went from from gas totally including central heating, using a heatpump, and then use induction cooking and electric oven, it eliminates the unreliable compulsory gas inspections that has to be done, annually  even though I have supplied 2 portable carbon monoxide sensors to the tenant.  

Edited by Addicted to music

39 minutes ago, Assisi said:

If you enjoy cooking and want absolute precise control of the temperature, induction is fantastic.  Sauces great.  It is hotter and faster than gas.  Electric is pathetic in

Yes that’s the feeling I got.  Once turned on it didn’t take long for this thing to reach its heating obligations....  put a pan on it and it was bubbling the sauce/oil real fast.....   i was so surprised at the speed!    

I might even get a portable unit just to have a play! 

25 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Not just for myself but also looking at this from a Landlord perspective..

if I went from from gas totally including central heating, using a heatpump, and then use induction cooking and electric oven, it eliminates the unreliable compulsory gas inspections that has to be done, annually  even though I have supplied 2 portable carbon monoxide sensors to the tenant.  

I went from gas central heating to all electric heating and cooling at the same time.  The heat pump is also efficient and requires almost no maintenance other than cleaning the input filters.  And to cap it off, went solar as well making cooling during hot and sunny days much cheaper.  Less savings during winter and of course during cloudy days, but way ahead on my old gas cooking and central heating setup.

2 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I went from gas central heating to all electric heating and cooling at the same time.  The heat pump is also efficient and requires almost no maintenance other than cleaning the input filters.  And to cap it off, went solar as well making cooling during hot and sunny days much cheaper.  Less savings during winter and of course during cloudy days, but way ahead on my old gas cooking and central heating setup.

I have evaporative cooling at this stage,  in a few weeks I will have solar and will be considering a high powered split reverse cycle system for upstairs   already have cables factored in during the build so power will be there.    This should keep the upstairs area controlled during summer.

8 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

I have evaporative cooling at this stage,  in a few weeks I will have solar and will be considering a high powered split reverse cycle system for upstairs   already have cables factored in during the build so power will be there.   

Use and recommend Daikin.  We have 2 large units, one for upstairs and one for downstairs, with controls in each of the rooms.  Note that you should spec for cooling/heating in some of the rooms simultaneously.  Trying to do all rooms simultaneously is costly and overkill.

18 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Use and recommend Daikin.  We have 2 large units, one for upstairs and one for downstairs, with controls in each of the rooms.  Note that you should spec for cooling/heating in some of the rooms simultaneously.  Trying to do all rooms simultaneously is costly and overkill.

This is the goal.  May even consider Mitsubishi.   A Government Department that is a major client have Mitsubishi throughout...  

As you well know evaporative only works in dry climate, when its humid its useless! where a heat pump controls temp regardless.....  In the present and future I think in Melb evaporative will be all ineffective, it was OK in 2007 but we have more hot humid days than dry hot days due to climate change and last summer did show that as a trend.   even thought the outlay is $6.5K and I have already put in 10% deposit, can't wait till they install the 6.6KW PV that I ordered!

When looking at refrigerated aircon suggest you look at the maximum operating temperature - when we purchased last year one brand was as low as 43C - WTF!

2 hours ago, Quark said:

When looking at refrigerated aircon suggest you look at the maximum operating temperature - when we purchased last year one brand was as low as 43C - WTF!

There all not siting much further than that, most such as Fujitsu, Daikin and Mitsubishi are quoting outside operational temp being 46C max.   

2 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

There all not siting much further than that, most such as Fujitsu, Daikin and Mitsubishi are quoting outside operational temp being 46C max.   

At least some Actron models are rated up to 50C.

On my Daikin:
Operation Range    Cool (°CDB)    -10 to 46    -10 to 46,      Heat (°CWB)    -15 to 18

This is more than adequate for Melbourne.

5 hours ago, Quark said:

At least some Actron models are rated up to 50C.

Would you then only use Actron?  

29 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

On my Daikin:
Operation Range    Cool (°CDB)    -10 to 46    -10 to 46,      Heat (°CWB)    -15 to 18

Product review comes up with Daikin, Mitsubishi etc  to be quite, reliable all topping with 4-5 stars.   The air conditioner friend I know will recommend these brands and more towards Mitsubishi for some reason.   Also, if a government department purely installs one brand there is a reason why?  From 43-46-50C Is only a 7C difference,  however if it was spec to say 60C then that’s a difference! 

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

On my Daikin:

47 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Product review comes up with Daikin, Mitsubishi etc  to be quite, reliable all topping with 4-5 stars.   The air conditioner friend I know will recommend these brands and more towards Mitsubishi for some reason.   Also, if a government department purely installs one brand there is a reason why?  From 43-46-50C Is only a 7C difference,  however if it was spec to say 60C then that’s a difference! 

Seem to recall the highest ever reading in Melbourne city is ~46.5C (Black Saturday) and ~48C in the suburbs. I like my air to work on the very hottest days. YMMV