Devialet 120 expert what speakers?

Hi everyone, as per  my last  topic,harbeth compact 7 or Lenehan ml2,i have decided to change amplification instead. So first ,do you think that the 120 expert will have enough power to run the dynaudio focus 140? What people use  their dev 120 with?

My Dynaudios are notSAM readybut their slightly improved model (focus160)are ,I'm wondering if i use the SAM program from the focus 160 to the focus 140 that i own would work? Nothing  to loose i guess. Thanks for the offer SIR but i will be able to answer the power question at the end of the week,when ill get mine. I am in Melbourne (Wantirna ). What speakers do you  use?

39 minutes ago, 7502dan said:

My Dynaudios are notSAM readybut their slightly improved model (focus160)are ,I'm wondering if i use the SAM program from the focus 160 to the focus 140 that i own would work? Nothing  to loose i guess. 

Suggest you contact Devialet support and ask them about your speakers. They are usually responsive and helpful.

2 hours ago, 7502dan said:

My Dynaudios are notSAM readybut their slightly improved model (focus160)are ,I'm wondering if i use the SAM program from the focus 160 to the focus 140 that i own would work? Nothing  to loose i guess. Thanks for the offer SIR but i will be able to answer the power question at the end of the week,when ill get mine. I am in Melbourne (Wantirna ). What speakers do you  use?

No, you should not do that.  Just don't use SAM and it will sound great.

• Volunteer
9 hours ago, 7502dan said:

Thanks for the offer SIR but i will be able to answer the power question at the end of the week,when ill get mine. I am in Melbourne (Wantirna ). What speakers do you  use

Does that mean you’ve bought the devialet already?

I use mine with Avantgarde horns, so power is not an issue :) 

Yes i bought it ,it's going to take to the end of the week  or maybe beginning of next week until i can see and hear it.Like i said on a previous post i am equally concerned about the ability to drive my Dynaudio focus 140 as to the synergy between amp and speakers. It's never as simple as give them 1kw of power and she'll be right. My main system is Audionote  an/j speakers  that are 92db efficiency and actually sound better with cinenova grande 300watt power amp and consonance valve preamp than the  Sansui  au /g99x  170watt integrated.that i am using with the Dynaudios. I tried to swap them around and it didn't work at all.Both systems had very bad sound. You would think that Dynaudio would love the extra power and the Audionote wount see any difference as they are efficient anyway. The Dynaudios sound much better  with the Sansui. So SYNERGY rules. 

Sir Sanders,is there a problem for you the efficiency of your Avant-garde  ,i understand that Devialet sound better when the volume is opened up. Your speakers would be 100db + efficient, so you have to listen at concert levels + all the time?you could get away with a Sugden  Masterclass  class A

Edited by 7502dan

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, 7502dan said:

Sir Sanders,is there a problem for you the efficiency of your Avant-garde  ,i understand that Devialet sound better when the volume is opened up

That’s the conventional wisdom... the reality for me is that it sounds just as good at lower volumes 

7 hours ago, 7502dan said:

Sir Sanders,is there a problem for you the efficiency of your Avant-garde  ,i understand that Devialet sound better when the volume is opened up. Your speakers would be 100db + efficient, so you have to listen at concert levels + all the time?you could get away with a Sugden  Masterclass  class A

6 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

That’s the conventional wisdom... the reality for me is that it sounds just as good at lower volumes 

Methinks there is perhaps a discontinuity between the above 2 posts?

7502dan is suggesting that the "Devialet sounds better when the volume is opened up " - which I  interpret as the volume control being turned up to 80% or more.

Sir Zing says "the reality for me is that it sounds just as good at lower volumes " - which I interpret as being:

1. when his Avantgardes are really pumping ... it sounds great
  2. but when he's listening quietly ... it still sounds great!  :thumb:

But as Trevor's Avantgardes are so efficient ... maybe he never has his amp turned up above, say, 40% - even when they're pumping?  In which case - he's never reached the level with his Devaliet that sends it into "opened up " territory?

Andy

25 minutes ago, andyr said:

But as Trevor's Avantgardes are so efficient ... maybe he never has his amp turned up above, say, 40% - even when they're pumping?  In which case - he's never reached the level with his Devaliet that sends it into "opened up " territory?

Andy

Me think.............. you should replaced the Maggie panel with Avantgardes.......:thumb:?

• 2 weeks later...

The Devialet Experts sound as good at low volume as they do at high volumes. I don't know why that myth still hangs around but it's not something Devialet owners think.

You need to be aware that SAM will boost your lower frequencies and therefore will make your woofers exert more. The right SAM profile is designed to protect your woofers from being over exerted. The wrong SAM profile might not. So using the wrong profile can damage your speakers. Be careful. Have a go but keep your eyes on your woofers. The 'problem' with the Devialet amps is that they won't distort at higher volumes so you won't 'hear' it coming if you're about to blow your speaker up.

I'm sure your Focus 140's will sound great with the 120. They would sound even better though if you had the right SAM profile. I started with a 170 for my Dynaudio C1's and thought it was great. Then new firmware came out and I got 30 extra Watts. That was a bonus. Then came SAM and that blew me away. The next step up was the Original d' Atelier (900 Watts per channel) I think by now I'm at the pinnacle of amplification. But, and this is a big but, the difference the room makes is larger than the difference in amplification. So with the setup you now have, you can get it to a whole other level by playing with speaker setup and room treatment. No need to keep shopping. That system could be end game.

Enjoy mate.

Cheers,

Pim

Ok,so i had a chance to listen to the Devialet for a few days. My first impressions, CLEAN sound,but not without warmth, does the hi fi thing really  well (imaging, soundstage, depth, separation).I tried the amp with both of my speakers and at this moment i much prefer the Audio Note an/j to the Dynaudios.In my room at this time i think the Devialet 120 needs speakers of 90db+efficiency. With my 92db audio notes i'm listening at between -15to-5db on the volume control .I'm also finding that i have to adjust the volume more often depending on the recording. I'm using the tone control +2for bass and -2 for treble. I think my tweeters are a bit harsh. Now i'm thinking at buying some Atohm gt1's, anyone using the combination ?I haven't tried SAM yet,i'm a bit of an illiterate as far as computers go..I don't know how to drag the configuration on to  the memory card. I'll figure it out eventually. Anyway thanks to everyone for your advice, keep it coming 

I think I'm right about efficiency with the Devialet and whatever speakers you're using, most people with low to moderate efficiency speakers quickly go and upgrade to higher power models from the lower ones. .Sir Sanders doesn't feel the need because his Avatgardes are already so efficient.

Edited by 7502dan
Wrong name

7 hours ago, 7502dan said:

,i'm a bit of an illiterate as far as computers go..I don't know how to drag the configuration on to  the memory card. I'll figure it out eventually. Anyway thanks to everyone for your advice, keep it coming 

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-How-to-configure-your-Expert-Pim-and-Axel-s-method

This will tell you all you need to know about how to configure your Expert.