Sign in to follow this  
Hawk66

Best value MM cartridge upgrade

17 hours ago, nkoulban said:

I'm glad you are enjoying your AT95 cart, I know I am.  I have also just posted a vinyl needle drop of a Dire Straits track using this cart and stylus.

Thanks for sharing this, I enjoyed the 'needle drop' and your video editing skills. 

May I ask what software do you use for editing? 

PS: You got a new sub :-)

On 31/12/2019 at 3:56 PM, Willmax said:

Thanks for sharing this, I enjoyed the 'needle drop' and your video editing skills. 

May I ask what software do you use for editing? 

PS: You got a new sub 🙂

Thank you for the kind words.  Just checked out your channel, very cool.

I use a DSLR with a 50mmm F1.4 lens for the video, iMovie for video editing and Audacity for the audio recording via an Xtel Inport.

On 31/12/2019 at 2:07 PM, Colin Rutter said:

Just a note on AT cartridges

They are generally underrated 

I have Stanton 681 EEE, Grado Black and Blue and the top one of about 20 years ago, Shure v15 IIII, At VM95E and AT 

150MLX.

I have had MCs as well as many others Grace,Ortofon etc. etc.

The ATs are up with the best of them

The advice is good going to a ML or Shibata on the 95.

I wonder could you offer some thoughts on the At150MLX - i always thought i wanted one. I runs DL110 now. I also have an AT95E but hardly used.

On 30/12/2019 at 10:44 PM, nkoulban said:

I'm glad you are enjoying your AT95 cart, I know I am.  I have also just posted a vinyl needle drop of a Dire Straits track using this cart and stylus.

Different body to mine, which is in the pic on the first page. My cantilever sticks out prominently in the front. I cut the plastic body away and just use'd the plug.  I have the VL stylus .

thumbnail_IMG_5776.jpg.d395c65448f06db79a4629c374ae9253.jpg

11 hours ago, JPete9 said:

I wonder could you offer some thoughts on the At150MLX - i always thought i wanted one. I runs DL110 now. I also have an AT95E but hardly used.

I can't offer thoughts really other than I like it. 

The tech. behind it is interesting but "the proof of the pudding is in the eating"

16 hours ago, Colin Rutter said:

I can't offer thoughts really other than I like it. 

The tech. behind it is interesting but "the proof of the pudding is in the eating"

I have listened to the AT150MLX, its a good cart.  I find it a little bright, but that can be tamed with with a bit of parallel resistive loading. I think the new VM740ML may be a more balanced sounding, however, I have not heard it.  I'm also keen to try the LP Gear The Vessel R3SM, this runs a microline stylus on a ruby cantilever, however, at around $1,000 AUD its more than I want to pay right now.  The reason I went with the AT95 with the Jico Hyperelliptical was to get to a good level of performance without spending too much.  My modded AT95 owes me $250, however, it is so good that I no longer listen to my $1,000 moving coil and it has the lowest surface noise of all of the carts I have used.

On 03/01/2020 at 7:43 PM, JPete9 said:

I also use the DL-110 myself, for the money I think it is good value. Have not felt the need to upgrade. I have a DL-103 which I seldom use as I've got a feeling it does not match well with the MC loading from my current amplifiers.

On 03/01/2020 at 8:13 PM, JPete9 said:

Have a read of this Kavi Alexander describes the ML-170 as very close to the sound of the master tape.

http://www.regonaudio.com/Stanton881AudioTechnicaATML70.html

10 hours ago, Willmax said:

I also use the DL-110 myself, for the money I think it is good value. Have not felt the need to upgrade. I have a DL-103 which I seldom use as I've got a feeling it does not match well with the MC loading from my current amplifiers.

What loadings do your current phono stages offer, W?

Specs for the D103 say:

• output impedance 40 ohms - by which I understand to mean the coil impedance is 40 ohms.
  • load impedance 100 ohms - which I take to be the minimum  you should use!  So anything from 100 ohms to 4K ohms (100x coil impedance!) is feasible, as the optimum loading.

Andy

8 hours ago, Warren Jones said:

Have a read of this Kavi Alexander describes the ML-170 as very close to the sound of the master tape.

Thanks, i've read tons of reviews...i should just buy one...i am just cautious they might be 'bright'.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Warren Jones said:

That was the 70, not the 170.

Review was done 30 years ago.

Note which cartridge I own😎

Edited by Wimbo