Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Hawk66

Best value MM cartridge upgrade

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, nkoulban said:

I'm glad you are enjoying your AT95 cart, I know I am.  I have also just posted a vinyl needle drop of a Dire Straits track using this cart and stylus.

 

 

Thanks for sharing this, I enjoyed the 'needle drop' and your video editing skills. 

May I ask what software do you use for editing? 

PS: You got a new sub :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/12/2019 at 3:56 PM, Willmax said:

Thanks for sharing this, I enjoyed the 'needle drop' and your video editing skills. 

May I ask what software do you use for editing? 

PS: You got a new sub 🙂

Thank you for the kind words.  Just checked out your channel, very cool.

 

I use a DSLR with a 50mmm F1.4 lens for the video, iMovie for video editing and Audacity for the audio recording via an Xtel Inport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/12/2019 at 2:07 PM, Colin Rutter said:

Just a note on AT cartridges

They are generally underrated 

I have Stanton 681 EEE, Grado Black and Blue and the top one of about 20 years ago, Shure v15 IIII, At VM95E and AT 

150MLX.

I have had MCs as well as many others Grace,Ortofon etc. etc.

The ATs are up with the best of them

The advice is good going to a ML or Shibata on the 95.

I wonder could you offer some thoughts on the At150MLX - i always thought i wanted one. I runs DL110 now. I also have an AT95E but hardly used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/12/2019 at 10:44 PM, nkoulban said:

I'm glad you are enjoying your AT95 cart, I know I am.  I have also just posted a vinyl needle drop of a Dire Straits track using this cart and stylus.

 

 

Different body to mine, which is in the pic on the first page. My cantilever sticks out prominently in the front. I cut the plastic body away and just use'd the plug.  I have the VL stylus .

thumbnail_IMG_5776.jpg.d395c65448f06db79a4629c374ae9253.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


11 hours ago, JPete9 said:

I wonder could you offer some thoughts on the At150MLX - i always thought i wanted one. I runs DL110 now. I also have an AT95E but hardly used.

I can't offer thoughts really other than I like it. 

The tech. behind it is interesting but "the proof of the pudding is in the eating"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Colin Rutter said:

I can't offer thoughts really other than I like it. 

The tech. behind it is interesting but "the proof of the pudding is in the eating"

I have listened to the AT150MLX, its a good cart.  I find it a little bright, but that can be tamed with with a bit of parallel resistive loading. I think the new VM740ML may be a more balanced sounding, however, I have not heard it.  I'm also keen to try the LP Gear The Vessel R3SM, this runs a microline stylus on a ruby cantilever, however, at around $1,000 AUD its more than I want to pay right now.  The reason I went with the AT95 with the Jico Hyperelliptical was to get to a good level of performance without spending too much.  My modded AT95 owes me $250, however, it is so good that I no longer listen to my $1,000 moving coil and it has the lowest surface noise of all of the carts I have used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/01/2020 at 7:43 PM, JPete9 said:

I wonder could you offer some thoughts on the At150MLX - i always thought i wanted one. I runs DL110 now. I also have an AT95E but hardly used.

I also use the DL-110 myself, for the money I think it is good value. Have not felt the need to upgrade. I have a DL-103 which I seldom use as I've got a feeling it does not match well with the MC loading from my current amplifiers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/01/2020 at 8:13 PM, JPete9 said:

I wonder could you offer some thoughts on the At150MLX - i always thought i wanted one. I runs DL110 now. I also have an AT95E but hardly used.

Have a read of this Kavi Alexander describes the ML-170 as very close to the sound of the master tape.

 

http://www.regonaudio.com/Stanton881AudioTechnicaATML70.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


10 hours ago, Willmax said:

I also use the DL-110 myself, for the money I think it is good value. Have not felt the need to upgrade. I have a DL-103 which I seldom use as I've got a feeling it does not match well with the MC loading from my current amplifiers.

 

What loadings do your current phono stages offer, W?

 

Specs for the D103 say:

  • output impedance 40 ohms - by which I understand to mean the coil impedance is 40 ohms.
  • load impedance 100 ohms - which I take to be the minimum  you should use!  So anything from 100 ohms to 4K ohms (100x coil impedance!) is feasible, as the optimum loading.

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Warren Jones said:

Have a read of this Kavi Alexander describes the ML-170 as very close to the sound of the master tape.

 

http://www.regonaudio.com/Stanton881AudioTechnicaATML70.html

Thanks, i've read tons of reviews...i should just buy one...i am just cautious they might be 'bright'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Warren Jones said:

Have a read of this Kavi Alexander describes the ML-170 as very close to the sound of the master tape.

 

http://www.regonaudio.com/Stanton881AudioTechnicaATML70.html

That was the 70, not the 170.

Review was done 30 years ago.

Note which cartridge I own😎

Edited by Wimbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...